Local News LTNs- good, bad( &/or ugly)?

Low Traffic Nieghborhoods

• Good

Votes: 4 14.8%
  • Bad

Votes: 23 85.2%

• Total voters
I live in Cowley marsh area and usually cycle to work in town, my journey time has increased by 5 minutes, I occasionally have drive to work (lots of heavy tools) God knows how long that journey will now take.

Decision time for Florence park, Temple & Church Cowley on Tuesday next week.
42 page report comes across with a large majority of the respondents not in favour, however the council are expected to continue with the experiment.
With the added changes in East Oxford things are now worse than when the survey was held.

Last edited:
Decision time for Frolence park, Temple & Church Cowley on Tuesday next week.
42 page report comes across with a large majority of the respondents not in favour, however the council are expected to continue with the experiment.
With the added changes in East Oxford things are now worse than when the survey was held.

Classic council "consultation" then. We`ve decided, we will ask residents, then completely ignore them.

Council have already made their decision the day they put them in. This is not a democratic council.

That is the Cowley LTN's formally approved. Sod the will of the people!

It is all about the rich councilors who live in villages yet are ok to DRIVE to work!

How can these people dicate how people in Cowley can use cars?!

Didn't the Tory controlled OCC start introducing LTNs in Oxford?
But tbf the Tory councillors that are still there have called for them to be removed whereas if they still controlled OCC they would have removed them due to the overwhelming opinion that they should be removed, but the Stasi councils now are not listening and doing what they want.

But tbf the Tory councillors that are still there have called for them to be removed whereas if they still controlled OCC they would have removed them due to the overwhelming opinion that they should be removed, but the Stasi councils now are not listening and doing what they want.

So they imposed them to begin with then.

So the Torries brought LTN's in but would have gotten rid because nobody wanted them.but didn't people say they didn't want them in the first place it's all BS I'm afraid council will do what they want the best thing that could happen is a major incident god forbid that the emergency services can't get to because of stupid plant pots 😡😡😡😡

I’m not mad on the LTNs but a couple of people I know who live in the affected streets are overjoyed. I guess it won’t affect many of you? No one in east Oxford voted Tory so I’m not sure you can assume everyone is against them.

I’m not mad on the LTNs but a couple of people I know who live in the affected streets are overjoyed. I guess it won’t affect many of you? No one in east Oxford voted Tory so I’m not sure you can assume everyone is against them.
The people who have them in their streets are over the moon, but those who now have the extra traffic as a result taking in the extra emissions aren’t, the readers certainly aren’t and it was over 60% against.
It made me annoyed the other day on BBC south news when it was reporting about the anti LTN demonstration outside county hall, where councillor Gant went to listen to their issues and he was asked by the reporter what he thought about the protesters saying your not listening, he replied I just did and walked of the arrogant t**t.

Of course, if you lived on a rat run road you'd welcome the LTN's and I can totally see the point in them.

What I do not agree with is the LTN's on major link roads (Bartholomew Road and Crowell Road).

The LTN's now cut off Littlemore from the rest of Cowley.

LTN`s have a place 100%, but they also have a consequence of pushing traffic elsewhere.
Around these parts, the majority of residents were in favour of an LTN.
We have 6 schools, 2 main arterial roads, and lots of "rat runs" and horrific school-run parking.
The main roads have the capacity and the "key" junctions/side routes are well known.
What the council did was employed a consultation company ( Arcadis) at a cost of £90k+.
Arcadis binned the residents' ideas and we ended up with speed cushions (that nobody wanted!) at a further cost of £246k.

Amazingly the speed cushions don`t work, wide axle vehicles straddle them, motorbikes take the gaps and cars do the "1 side on, 1 side off" as they race between them. It didn`t resolve the parking issues either, the residents proposed junction build-outs with bike cuts and planters in an LTN style......... all in the bin. :rolleyes:

Yes, we have a Labour council too who love to waste money and ignore Wards that don`t hold their "core vote".

had an email re what is a temporary, limited times imposing of basically LTNs outside schools in Oxford & Abingdon- specifically Windmill/ Margaret rd school in Headington....given that OCC took zero notice of the responses regarding LTNS, is it actually worth any concerned residents/ or those affected by temporary road closures bothering with responding?

relevant info from the email- along with a link to the 'consultation' .....

Oxfordshire County Council is consulting on proposals to make the Windmill School Streets programme permanent.

The scheme involves closing Margaret Road immediately outside the school during pick-up and drop-off hours, and has been staffed by volunteers with hand-operated barriers during its current experimental phase. If approved, the permanent scheme would use smart cameras instead, which are programmed with the registration numbers of cars allowed to go through, including school staff and all blue badge holders.

You can take part in the consultation on the County Council's website until August 26th

Back
Top Bottom