International News Immigration

I’m sure I remember in 2016 we were told now we’ve left we’ll be able to control our borders, and it would stop immigrants from getting into our country. Lies, lies and more lies.

Yes, we can control the legal arrivals without FOM so its not a "lie" really.

We can`t (seemingly) control the illegal arrivals and our "friends" over the channel don`t seem too bothered either.

We can`t (seemingly) control the illegal arrivals and our "friends" over the channel don`t seem too bothered either.
well yes, we left the EU, so we don't have access to the system that shows which "safe" countries they have been through first, so can't prove they have been to a "safe" country first, so can't return them legally. So, another Brexit benefit is not being able to return migrants. Taking back control :)

Don't remember 'talking back controlish'.

well yes, we left the EU, so we don't have access to the system that shows which "safe" countries they have been through first, so can't prove they have been to a "safe" country first, so can't return them legally. So, another Brexit benefit is not being able to return migrants. Taking back control :)

As we are independent/outside of the EU, and France is safe then the situation is easily solved. 🤷‍♀️

Then, of course, we will have people obstructing such things a bit like returning serious criminals to their country of origin where people "appeal" to prevent it.

Needs more stick and no carrot.

The Dublin Regulation requires that asylum seekers have their asylum claim registered in the first country they arrive in, and that the decision of the first EU country they apply in is the final decision in all EU countries.

Migrants have rights under International Law and HRA but States also have the right to act appropriately. The problem we have is that there is no International water in the Channel, as soon as they leave a beach in France they are in UK/French water.

So returning them to France would stop the flow and nullify the people smuggling rings.

Set up a processing centre in France and allow them in a legitimate and managed way. If they`ve ditched their documents then tough luck, you stay in France.
Oh.

It amazes me how all these migrants still see the U.K. as the answer to all of their problems.

Don’t they realise that Europe is better at everything compared to us. I mean, don’t they read these boards 😋

Send them straight back with a hot drink and a packed lunch, it’s the kindest outcome.

It amazes me how all these migrants still see the U.K. as the answer to all of their problems.

Don’t they realise that Europe is be ;) tter at everything compared to us. I mean, don’t they read these boards 😋

Send them straight back with a hot drink and a packed lunch, it’s the kindest outcome.
Send em to Scotland could be an alternative solution? ;)

From the article linked..........

"Even before the UK left the EU, only a few hundred people were sent to other European countries in 2020."

And the EU is so tolerant and welcoming the migrants themselves compare it to Libya!

"Here the French police beat us and evict us every day from the places where we are sleeping outside. It brings back bad memories from Libya where I was locked up and beaten many times by traffickers."

No problem with legal migration as long as migrants are known and registered on our systems.

We will also note the lack of comment on the appeals against convicted criminals being returned to their countries of origin. :)

Not sure what the fuss is I thought we needed migrants to drive our lorries and pluck our turkeys coz our lovely British people don’t want to do those jobs. Get em in jobs earning for themselves and contributing to the economy

Just a question. How do you know if they are illegal immigrants or refugees? If they are refugees do they not have a right to travel unhindered to where they wish to claim asylum, (so that the country’s next to the one they are escaping from aren’t over run with millions or refugees)

If they are illegal immigrants then surely they have to land here before we can process them?

The real issue that isn’t being grappled is that the Traffickers seem to operate with impunity, and that instead of processing people in France or making a process of immigration straitforward ( I am not saying easy) so that they can be processed appropriately, we encourage them to travel across the channel in overcrowded rubber dinghys?

Just a question. How do you know if they are illegal immigrants or refugees? If they are refugees do they not have a right to travel unhindered to where they wish to claim asylum, (so that the country’s next to the one they are escaping from aren’t over run with millions or refugees)

If they are illegal immigrants then surely they have to land here before we can process them?

The real issue that isn’t being grappled is that the Traffickers seem to operate with impunity, and that instead of processing people in France or making a process of immigration straitforward ( I am not saying easy) so that they can be processed appropriately, we encourage them to travel across the channel in overcrowded rubber dinghys?
Probably oversimplified but...........

1- Illegal immigrants - return to previous safe country, in this case France.

2- Refugees - claim asylum anywhere in the EU then follow the legal migration process to the destination of choice.

3- Legal migrants, following the correct channels, let them in once properly processed.

Too simple?

You are Matt Hancock and I claim my £10!

Is that the same proper process we had in place in Afghanistan??? Worked really well there.

I was suggesting that the process isn’t straightforward and we are pushing desperate people into frightening choices because we won’t help them to either come and stay or come be processed and then remove if required.

I will guarantee that most illegal immigrants arrive legally and then overstay their visas, and yet all we seem to see are these desperate souls drowning as some sort of foreigner infestation.

Probably oversimplified but...........

1- Illegal immigrants - return to previous safe country, in this case France.

2- Refugees - claim asylum anywhere in the EU then follow the legal migration process to the destination of choice.

3- Legal migrants, following the correct channels, let them in once properly processed.

Too simple?
It also doesn’t help with non European countries in this case Belarus forcing the immigrants into Poland where those immigrants will push on further through Europe to reach Calais and such to try and get over to here. Now if there was a centre set up as in your point number 2 then this may work and a lot of the unnecessary problems that occur could be halted.
Also number 3 could be achieved if a centre for asylum was set up and the immigrants follow the protocol.

I posted this on the Bojo thread (probably because the same squirrel was being used there too).

Some facts on migration and numbers compared across European Countries. This is from 2019 when we were still a member. https://www.infomigrants.net/e...rope-in-2019-facts-and-figures

The headlines if you can't be bothered to read:

Roughly 473,000 first time asylum applications between Jan & Sept in 2019 - extrapolated to 630,000 for the whole year.

From Jan - Sept, applications by top six country as follows:

Germany: 111,000
France: 87,100
Spain: 80,000
Greece: 47,000
UK: 32,000
Italy: 25,000

All bar Greece are the most populous countries in Europe and in fact Greece and Malta has the most first time asylum applications per capita in Europe.

The Dublin Regulation that Essex refers to is explained here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dublin_Regulation and has been around since 1990 in various forms, but it is about a mechanism for identifying the country responsible for examining an application for asylum and provides a mechanism to transfer the applicant to that member state.

Hungary withdrew from it in 2015 because it said it was overwhelmed with applications for asylum in it's own country already (60,000 in 2015). The response from Germany and Czech Rep was to process more applications.

We withdrew from that when we did a Brexit I'm afraid.

Living in Germany is obviously almost 4 times more attractive than living in the UK if you're an asylum seeker...but don't let small matters such as facts get in the way of a good bit of jingoistic nonsensical/ill thought out ranting.

Living in Germany is obviously almost 4 times more attractive than living in the UK if you're an asylum seeker...but don't let small matters such as facts get in the way of a good bit of jingoistic nonsensical/ill thought out ranting.

Nothing ill-thought-out about it.

We should have a robust process for legal asylum/migration. If the state is going to provide sanctuary and the necessary support it needs to know where these people are and their needs.

If thousands are able to "get away with it" following the illegal routes the demand increases and the people traffickers have plenty of victims in the pipeline.

Back
Top Bottom