General New Stadium Plans - Stratfield Brake

Status
Not open for further replies.
Bus companies will run routes where there's demand, as that's how they make money.
That's why they have cut the services.Not enough people using them.Too many people driving their cars( a to b).For example: driving kids to school just round the corner or popping to the shops to get a newspaper about 10 yards away.
Bus companies will run routes where there's demand, as that's how they make money.

That's why they have cut the services.Not enough people using them.Too many people driving their cars( a to b).For example: driving kids to school just round the corner or popping to the shops to get a newspaper about 10 yards away.
With the cost of living crisis and petrol at such a high price,I really think about when I should/shouldn’t use my car.
Im of an age where I have a bus pass,I have been driving to Grenoble Road because it’s such a ball ache to have to go into Oxford and back out but next season I’m going to have to.I have ordered my new season ticket that is one thing that I won’t give up

Yeh, but it's always been cheaper driving your car than getting on a bus especially for a family. Subsidise the bus routes which will be a condition of this planning application and we might all ditch our cars for the bus. Put it this way if it cost £5 for a return for me and my son (aged 10) from Abingdon to Stratfield Brake I would ditch my car every game !

Yeh, but it's always been cheaper driving your car than getting on a bus especially for a family. Subsidise the bus routes which will be a condition of this planning application and we might all ditch our cars for the bus. Put it this way if it cost £5 for a return for me and my son (aged 10) from Abingdon to Stratfield Brake I would ditch my car every game !
Yeah I know where everybody's coming from, it's just a shame Oxfordshire's is not very good for public transport,compared to some parts of Britain.Also definitely some of the country's I've been to on my travels .

Yeah I know where everybody's coming from, it's just a shame Oxfordshire's is not very good for public transport,compared to some parts of Britain.Also definitely some of the country's I've been to on my travels .

It would help if they weren't digging up the same old roads every couple of months as well . surely it would save money ,if you you resurfaced the roads properly.Instead of cheaply skimming over it every 6 months. Oh I forgot it's oxfordshire county council mmmmm!!

Whilst I agree with the idea and I'd add scheduling all the services to do any routine/planned work at the same time when a road is dug up (assuming this hasn't changed and obviously excludes emergency works). I'd further add upping the minimum standards for new roads built by developers etc that Councils end up having to adopt so that maintenance is at a minimum for a decent number of years.

The budgets for road maintenance have been laughably small for many years and I can't see local authorities being given the £bns needed to get the road system up to a decent standard. They do the works as they do currently as it means they can cover far more of the roads and are basically still only doing essential works.

Last edited:
Who’s gong to subsidise the buses? The councils can’t, since their grants from government have been cut so much. If you want better public transport remember never to vote Tory

Who’s gong to subsidise the buses? The councils can’t, since their grants from government have been cut so much. If you want better public transport remember never to vote Tory

I would suggest it will be a condition in the planning approval that OUFC subsidise bus routes for a set time. Once set time period has ran the bus routes should be able to run at a profit as long as demand is still there.

Just don't forget that some exiles and away supporters really have very little choice other than driving - personally I'd have to take the train 60 miles into London and then out again - and that's after I have had to drive 10 miles to a station in the first place because the busses would just not get me there. Encouraging the use of buses and trains is of course the right thing to do, but there will always be those who can't use them.

Just don't forget that some exiles and away supporters really have very little choice other than driving - personally I'd have to take the train 60 miles into London and then out again - and that's after I have had to drive 10 miles to a station in the first place because the busses would just not get me there. Encouraging the use of buses and trains is of course the right thing to do, but there will always be those who can't use them.
Or maybe drive part of the way? Park and ride style.

And, sadly, it's not just those who live some distance from the ground. We are in Stanford in the Vale and public transport, for us, would be a nightmare. However, we view the option to utilise any one of the "Park & Ride" car parks and then take a bus to Oxford Parkway, as being a good possibility.
Alternatively, the drive to Stratfield Brake is straight forward and with the already planned improvements to the roads around Kidlington/Oxford, should get even better. No need to drive into Kidlington at all and I believe that the car park at Parkway is due for expansion.

Not disagreeing with this, but unfortunately there are also large sections of society that would never use public transport, even if it picked them up at their front door and took them directly and efficiently to their destination at a fraction of the cost of the car.

Not disagreeing with this, but unfortunately there are also large sections of society that would never use public transport, even if it picked them up at their front door and took them directly and efficiently to their destination at a fraction of the cost of the car.
They're going to have to change their thinking a bit, as driving into towns will get harder and harder. If they won't use park & ride they may have to miss out on the football.

On the money with this.

Vast swathes of society are addicted to their car. The convenience of leaving your front door to the front step of your destination is too appealing for some and I include myself in that. I live in an expanding village that has a mainline train station 10 minutes away and a bus service to the neighbouring towns. I've never used the latter, I have to say - the car is quicker. No need for timetables, waiting for the bus, needing change to board, nor the walk to and from bus stops. I walk to the local shops but one resident I've seen near where I live has never walked any further than where her car is parked, often to drive around the corner.

The club need to be very careful and honest about the new stadium development and exactly how many people will continue to drive to the stadium as it will be an easy stick to beat them with either prior to the build or not long after its finished. There won't be a utopian shift to public transport with 90% of attendees arriving by bus, train, unicycle etc as so many in the habit of using their cars will continue to do so. Incentives will be the way to discourage traffic around it. Money off the park-and-ride bus if you need to drive to the stadium, % off food and drink if you show a valid Oxford Parkway train ticket, concentrate match day parking in areas where park-and-ride options are available and which won't annoy residents.

I personally would take public transport to the stadium but I can fully understand why a resident in Wantage, Witney, Watlington, Wallingford* etc wouldn't. The journey there and back just isn't feasible.

* What a lot of 'W' places we have in our fair county. Oxfordshire's a big place. When I’ve finished with Wheatley, there’s Woodstock, Wootton, Winterbrook. Waterperry, Water Eaton. You know. Woodeaton. Wroxton. Because I am my own boss. Wigginton.

Well, you see, the trouble with "Public Transport" is in the title. "Public" - swathes of the proletariat occupying space in a close proximity to oneself. And, anyway, one is just not familiar with the protocols on such transport. Does one tip the driver? Is the wine suitably chilled? It's all so tedious.

Well, you see, the trouble with "Public Transport" is in the title. "Public" - swathes of the proletariat occupying space in a close proximity to oneself. And, anyway, one is just not familiar with the protocols on such transport. Does one tip the driver? Is the wine suitably chilled? It's all so tedious.
... but if they did biscuits ...?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom