Home Match Day Thread +++ OUFC v Accrington Stanley 25/02/20 +++

Odd game. We were clearly second best in the first half and I have no idea how we managed to go in a goal up. But roles reversed in the second and we took the chances that Stanley had missed in the first. Again oddly, I thought they were unlucky to lose by three, but we were quite good value for the scoreline! Great to see Henry and Eastwood getting back to their best, and Long made some telling contributions - we could well have been one down rather than one up except for his block.
Anyone who still thinks Robinson isn't mightily pissed off by the club's handling of the transfer window needs to listen to his post-match interview again. And if there has really been a formal approach by Blackpool and the board (well, ST) haven't even told him, then they are playing with fire if they want to keep him until next season.
A great week on the pitch though.

John Coleman had his usual spin on their performance! Yes, they looked very good going forward, but as the 2nd goal proved, there was a lot of space out there when they over attacked - not a good defensive performance. Their left back looked good going forward, but was turned a lot and the goals largely came from his area of the pitch. Their 5 didn't meet a long ball he didn't misjudge.

Glad we got the win, the KR kerfuffle has hidden a lovely attacking performance... Browne looks so happy to be at OUFC - says a lot about Woodgate's man management skills that he hasn't got the best of him to date

Agree with the view that it was a smash and grab from us. They should have had 3 by half time, but in the end we looked relatively comfortable. Having a poacher like Taylor is worth his weight in gold.

I thought Thorne was interesting. I don't think he currently has the engine to screen the back four, and the freedom and space Accy had was largely due to his immobility. It wasn't shored up until Gorrin switched there. I do think that Thorne grew into the game though, and started to show some clever touches.

Thought Long and Ruffs both played well, and Elliot Moore is a bit of an unsung hero too. Been really solid since he stepped in, we have 3 strong CBs at the mo.

I think he's just playing hardball. Using Blackpool as a bargaining chip. He'd surely be mad to leave us this late in a season where he could push into the playoffs and further cement his reputation as a manager that can get clubs out of L1 to move to Blackpool of all places. No disrespect but it's very much a lateral move at this point - they're not a tiny club, but no bigger than us and not big enough to make it worth it. I think he'll be using this for assurances in the summer - presumably if he's not had them by then, he could walk.
Spot on. Blackpool geographically is not great for him and I really can’t see him throwing in the towel here having built this momentum. Not until June, anyway. Great result last night though I felt Accrington deserved better. Fair play to the support of theirs: Tuesday night, bloody cold, long way, late home, nothing particularly to play for. I wonder how many we’d take up there in the same circumstances?

Agree with the view that it was a smash and grab from us. They should have had 3 by half time, but in the end we looked relatively comfortable. Having a poacher like Taylor is worth his weight in gold.

I thought Thorne was interesting. I don't think he currently has the engine to screen the back four, and the freedom and space Accy had was largely due to his immobility. It wasn't shored up until Gorrin switched there. I do think that Thorne grew into the game though, and started to show some clever touches.

Thought Long and Ruffs both played well, and Elliot Moore is a bit of an unsung hero too. Been really solid since he stepped in, we have 3 strong CBs at the mo.

If the result had been 5-3 I wouldn’t have been surprised.

Clearly things are falling for us and confidence is building again.

Regardless of what has gone before, how we finish the season is massive. The fact that were not cut totally adrift during our “off” spell means we have ridden that storm. Our play once we went 2 up was incredibly impressive against a half decent side imo.

Playing like that will give us every chance to bag a playoff spot.

Agree with the view that it was a smash and grab from us. They should have had 3 by half time,
Shouldn't we have scored 3 by half time as well?
We scored a lovely goal and Taylor uncharacteristically missed 2 good chances (one came quickly at the edge of the 6 yard box and he put it straight into the keepers hands)

Fair play to the support of theirs: Tuesday night, bloody cold, long way, late home, nothing particularly to play for. I wonder how many we’d take up there in the same circumstances?
[/QUOTE]
300 to 400 or so would be my guess?

Shouldn't we have scored 3 by half time as well?
We scored a lovely goal and Taylor uncharacteristically missed 2 good chances (one came quickly at the edge of the 6 yard box and he put it straight into the keepers hands)

That's how I see it, we were lucky to go in ahead, but no way should we have been 3-0 down.

Fair play to the support of theirs: Tuesday night, bloody cold, long way, late home, nothing particularly to play for. I wonder how many we’d take up there in the same circumstances?
300 to 400 or so would be my guess?
[/QUOTE]
Probably about right. How many went to Fleetwood? That’s the least appealing of the fixtures in my view, followed by the slog down to Gillingham.

Dan Agyei could make hay here with the spaces involved. Get him on and rest Browney

He needs to learn to anticipate more, assume the pass is going to be made and just go. He basically needs to be on the front foot being proactive rather than being reactive which he is more often than not That is my take on what I've seen from him as when he is proactive he terrorises opposition defences.

Robbo wants assurances about the mid-term and log term., cant really argue with that. Wants the money received for Baptiste reinvested in the team.

Isn't investing in getting the Academy to Cat 2 mid-term/long term and the club are doing that?

What would we take from them do we reckon? One win (Fleetwood), two draws (Pompey and Wycombe) and one loss (Cov) I reckon (though there's no saying we can't go on a tear based on the last month of course). Not sure that'll be enough for the autos, but definitely for the playoffs.

That would be our 1st ever win in 12 attempts over Fleetwood with our record 2 draws/9 losses, and our home record is 5 losses in 5.

It was Accy who added 69, it was freezing, it was a school night and it’s the end of the month.
I thought we’d get about 6k so disappointing but the above factors do have a bearing.

And we've had a lot of home games in a short period of time.

Back
Top Bottom