Away Match Day Thread +++ Peterborough Utd v OUFC - match day thread +++

As previously mentioned it helps balance the books.

I ask again; what do you think the club should have spent in the window?

Well nothing apparently just wave the white flag
so are you telling me then that the Tranmere board should have thought s**t we're in trouble but rather than speak to 3 strikers should have gone with Bollox to that let's go down as we're P**s the league 2 net season and on their gates and a little cup run they can do something about this but we can't even compete?

How strange that having identified where we needed to strengthen that the alleged bids we made were players that were never coming.

On the subject of Taylor, not meaning to bash him, but I was excited as anyone when we signed him. I was on holiday in Bulgaria when the announcement was made and it gave me a real kick and I couldnt wait to see him play in the yellow of Oxford. Now, getting on six months on and its difficult to say the move has been the success we all hoped and envisaged. If the loan was to end tomorrow Id be interested to see how people would rate the signing out of 10. Im struggling to give it more than five unfortunately. I’ll look back on his time here as ‘good player but hardly ever fit’.
For a player who has struggled with fitness issues and who has had to play the lone striker role for the first time when he’s been on the pitch, he’s still bagged ten goals including a couple of really, really vital ones. His goals to minutes ratio is still very good indeed. I do agree that we haven’t seen the best of him, but I still think he’s contributed a lot more than most. I also think he has a lot of weight on him seeing as the alternatives have been, for want of a better term, rubbish. People hold him to high standards because without him fit and firing, we are largely toothless. Which again probably speaks volumes for what he does contribute.

For a player who has struggled with fitness issues and who has had to play the lone striker role for the first time when he’s been on the pitch, he’s still bagged ten goals including a couple of really, really vital ones. His goals to minutes ratio is still very good indeed. I do agree that we haven’t seen the best of him, but I still think he’s contributed a lot more than most. I also think he has a lot of weight on him seeing as the alternatives have been, for want of a better term, rubbish. People hold him to high standards because without him fit and firing, we are largely toothless. Which again probably speaks volumes for what he does contribute.
Why do you think we struggle to sign strikers? It’s not just the money, because we get in good wingers and midfielders like Brown and Thorne. Does Karl have unrealistic ideas about them?

Why do you think we struggle to sign strikers? It’s not just the money, because we get in good wingers and midfielders like Brown and Thorne. Does Karl have unrealistic ideas about them?
To be fair is anybody ever truly happy with their record in this department? I’d guess most fans would say they think their team struggles with strikers. Jerome Sinclair turned out to be reasonably handy, although admittedly he wasn’t first choice and we do indeed seem to miss out on a lot more than we sign in that department. Taylor is comfortably our best and most prolific striker of the last three years or so, let alone the two Robinson has been in charge, so this season is the best we’ve managed to get that position for a while. To a point at least. I do, however, based on everything he himself has said multiple times since day dot, think he focuses far more on wingers and swashbuckling attacking midfielders. Potentially too much. He’s clearly more Sterling and Sane than Aguero, and more Salah and Mane than Firmino. He’ll prefer Son to Kane and Hudson-Odoi to Abraham - that’s his thing. Admittedly he doesn’t seem to like carrying too many strikers, but that’s because he only ever plays one at a time, whether it’s a 4231 or a 433 where they can become quite isolated. He certainly doesn’t ‘do’ partnerships and because he only plays one he doesn’t seem fussed about proper depth. Maybe that is a flaw or a weakness, and maybe he doesn’t invest as much into nailing down quality in that area as he should, or as he seems to in wingers and ‘mavericks’. I guess that is something that will only become clearer over time. Given what his one truly successful season was built on, however, he perhaps doesn’t give the position as much of his time as he could. Or maybe should.

It is hard, ultimately, for any team at any level to get promoted or achieve things without at least one really top striker that they seem to have as a focal point. It’s certainly not impossible by any means but it’s a big advantage if you can get it right - Robinson has had one promotion as a manager and that’s when he had Will Grigg and Benik Afobe, with Dele Alli playing off them for good measure, in League One. If you look at clubs that have been promoted across the levels in recent years most of them have been driven by true goal getters. We had Roofe, Luton had Hylton and then Collins who each fired them up a division, P’boro have got Toney and Eisa presently, Charlton had Lyle Taylor as did Wimbledon before them, Rovers had Matty Taylor, Sheffield Utd had Sharp, Norwich had Pukki, Wigan had Grigg, Bury had Maynard, Tranmere had Norwood, Doncaster had Marquis, Grimsby had Bogle, Accrington had Kee... more often than not if you can get someone hitting 20 a season, you’ll have a great shot at doing something through that alone. At this level, however, you do need to hope for a bit of a lightning in a bottle moment unless you’re willing to really back yourself and pay the money to bring somebody in. That’s why I’ve been so keen to see more of Agyei - we know Mackie doesn’t offer anywhere near what a team looking to get promoted requires, and Taylor is nearly 30, only on loan and has had niggles all season that have robbed him of consistency. He could be that bolt from the blue that so many teams need. Maybe he wouldn’t be, but you’re probably not getting promoted with a half-fit striker who can’t play two games in a week, and a 34 year old former winger who will be lucky to get you five a season. That’s what I can say for sure.

To be fair is anybody ever truly happy with their record in this department? I’d guess most fans would say they think their team struggles with strikers. Jerome Sinclair turned out to be reasonably handy, although admittedly he wasn’t first choice and we do indeed seem to miss out on a lot more than we sign in that department. Taylor is comfortably our best and most prolific striker of the last three years or so, let alone the two Robinson has been in charge, so this season is the best we’ve managed to get that position for a while. To a point at least. I do, however, based on everything he himself has said multiple times since day dot, think he focuses far more on wingers and swashbuckling attacking midfielders. Potentially too much. He’s clearly more Sterling and Sane than Aguero, and more Salah and Mane than Firmino. He’ll prefer Son to Kane and Hudson-Odoi to Abraham - that’s his thing. Admittedly he doesn’t seem to like carrying too many strikers, but that’s because he only ever plays one at a time, whether it’s a 4231 or a 433 where they can become quite isolated. He certainly doesn’t ‘do’ partnerships and because he only plays one he doesn’t seem fussed about proper depth. Maybe that is a flaw or a weakness, and maybe he doesn’t invest as much into nailing down quality in that area as he should, or as he seems to in wingers and ‘mavericks’. I guess that is something that will only become clearer over time. Given what his one truly successful season was built on, however, he perhaps doesn’t give the position as much of his time as he could. Or maybe should.

It is hard, ultimately, for any team at any level to get promoted or achieve things without at least one really top striker that they seem to have as a focal point. It’s certainly not impossible by any means but it’s a big advantage if you can get it right - Robinson has had one promotion as a manager and that’s when he had Will Grigg and Benik Afobe, with Dele Alli playing off them for good measure, in League One. If you look at clubs that have been promoted across the levels in recent years most of them have been driven by true goal getters. We had Roofe, Luton had Hylton and then Collins who each fired them up a division, P’boro have got Toney and Eisa presently, Charlton had Lyle Taylor as did Wimbledon before them, Rovers had Matty Taylor, Sheffield Utd had Sharp, Norwich had Pukki, Wigan had Grigg, Bury had Maynard, Tranmere had Norwood, Doncaster had Marquis, Grimsby had Bogle, Accrington had Kee... more often than not if you can get someone hitting 20 a season, you’ll have a great shot at doing something through that alone. At this level, however, you do need to hope for a bit of a lightning in a bottle moment unless you’re willing to really back yourself and pay the money to bring somebody in. That’s why I’ve been so keen to see more of Agyei - we know Mackie doesn’t offer anywhere near what a team looking to get promoted requires, and Taylor is nearly 30, only on loan and has had niggles all season that have robbed him of consistency. He could be that bolt from the blue that so many teams need. Maybe he wouldn’t be, but you’re probably not getting promoted with a half-fit striker who can’t play two games in a week, and a 34 year old former winger who will be lucky to get you five a season. That’s what I can say for sure.
I always want to have a striker that will scare the opposition, which we haven’t had for years. I suspect Karl would turn his nose up at a burly fellow like Kyle Vassell, but someone like that would give us another dimension.

We tend to call Mackie a forward rather than a striker. We also talk a lot about him being our ‘game management’ player and a player for those occasions you need ‘sh@thousery’. Goal expectations ended a long time ago sadly.

Thought first half hour we looked pretty comfortable but didn't manage to look threatening enough, then we hit the self destruct button with poor error from Brannagan who doesn't look to be fit, surprised he started thought Kelly would be better option? Criminal we didn't sign a RB, we don't get promoted with Sam long at RB IMO.

Watching the game on Saturday had me thinking how many of these players will be here next year - or at least a starter.

We'll probably get some competition for Eastwood in the Summer so he's not guaranteed to be no 1. New full backs (which we desperately need) so Ruffels and Long aren't guaranteed starts. Dickie will probably leave in the summer, Mous will move into a coaching role. Brannagan will most likely leave in the summer. Gorrin will probably still be here. Henry seems to be becoming more injury prone so he's not a guaranteed starter. Browne and Taylor are loans and anything could happen with them. If there's interest in Sykes he'll try and get a move done.

Then you look at the bench. Liam Kelly and Nathan Holland are loans. Thorne is OOC in the Summer. Mackie will hopefully be moved on. Agyei doesn't get a look in. So really out of our whole match day squad on Saturday only Elliot Moore and Jack Stevens are guaranteed to be here next season. I can already sense the panic during the Summer window.

Watching the game on Saturday had me thinking how many of these players will be here next year - or at least a starter.

We'll probably get some competition for Eastwood in the Summer so he's not guaranteed to be no 1. New full backs (which we desperately need) so Ruffels and Long aren't guaranteed starts. Dickie will probably leave in the summer, Mous will move into a coaching role. Brannagan will most likely leave in the summer. Gorrin will probably still be here. Henry seems to be becoming more injury prone so he's not a guaranteed starter. Browne and Taylor are loans and anything could happen with them. If there's interest in Sykes he'll try and get a move done.

Then you look at the bench. Liam Kelly and Nathan Holland are loans. Thorne is OOC in the Summer. Mackie will hopefully be moved on. Agyei doesn't get a look in. So really out of our whole match day squad on Saturday only Elliot Moore and Jack Stevens are guaranteed to be here next season. I can already sense the panic during the Summer window.
Cant see anyone above league 1 being desperate for Eastwood - makes so many mistakes with kicking, 2 or 3 times could have easily resulted in a goal.

Ah I can see the confusion. I meant we'll probably sign some competition for Eastwood in the Summer so he won't be guaranteed the Number 1 spot with us.

I honestly wouldn't be surprised to see Eastwood move on. His family have gone back north and he looks like he needs a new challenge to revitalise him. Would be a shame to see that happen though.

Ah I can see the confusion. I meant we'll probably sign some competition for Eastwood in the Summer so he won't be guaranteed the Number 1 spot with us.

After the promises given about incomings do you think Eastwood feels like hanging around?

Forget Browne and Holland they will not be here next season as we cannot afford them, not that West Ham would let Holland go.Matty Taylor has kept his options open and never signed the deal offered in January so can't rely on that one

One helluva summer mess coming up again !!!! but hey it's a model hat works until Dickie and Branagan go and then we have no assets remaining.

I honestly wouldn't be surprised to see Eastwood move on. His family have gone back north and he looks like he needs a new challenge to revitalise him. Would be a shame to see that happen though.

Agree I wouldn't mind Archer back, I think we looked stronger defensively with him in goal.

If that was to happen I think Eastwood would have needed to be sold in Jan, while we had Archer, who could have taken over. The sad fact is I think that with Easty injured and having lost form, no-one was realistically going to pay a fee for him in Jan.

After the promises given about incomings do you think Eastwood feels like hanging around?

Forget Browne and Holland they will not be here next season as we cannot afford them, not that West Ham would let Holland go.Matty Taylor has kept his options open and never signed the deal offered in January so can't rely on that one

One helluva summer mess coming up again !!!! but hey it's a model hat works until Dickie and Branagan go and then we have no assets remaining.
Gossip from last Tuesday against the Geordies was that OUFC have been told they can have Browne from Middlesbrough for 450k

Back
Top Bottom