Potential New Ground

Status
Not open for further replies.
I recall that they looked at how they could make the North Stand a two-tier stand and that digging down and below the level of the pitch would enable that to happen. North Stand was definitely one of the areas they looked at. It was a good company you brought to the table Col. Glad they're still about.
Cheers Si. What they said about the North Stand was that there was a way of getting the seats closer to the pitch by using a pre-formed concrete structure that would be overlaid on top of the existing terrace (obviously after removing the seats) which would provide a more shallow rake and an extra six or so rows of seats could then be installed. It would mean that those front seats would protrude beyond the roofline, thereby not being under cover, and would be dependent on the existing steelwork being structurally sound enough to take the load of the new top skin. The same could have been done to the East Stand .

In light of what I know now I'm extremely doubtful that the existing steelwork would be able to support the new structure. Populous are the No 1 stadium architects in the world, and were a client of mine, and my contacts were at Principal level, so yes good people mate.

Cheers Si. What they said about the North Stand was that there was a way of getting the seats closer to the pitch by using a pre-formed concrete structure that would be overlaid on top of the existing terrace (obviously after removing the seats) which would provide a more shallow rake and an extra six or so rows of seats could then be installed. It would mean that those front seats would protrude beyond the roofline, thereby not being under cover, and would be dependent on the existing steelwork being structurally sound enough to take the load of the new top skin. The same could have been done to the East Stand .

In light of what I know now I'm extremely doubtful that the existing steelwork would be able to support the new structure. Populous are the No 1 stadium architects in the world, and were a client of mine, and my contacts were at Principal level, so yes good people mate.

In a vain attempt to save the Mickey Lewis thread then this is, possibly, the most concrete (excuse the pun) statement why a "refurb" can`t happen.

However, that`s not to say it can`t just be knocked down bit by bit and rebuilt which I`m fairly sure is what happened at White Hart Lane.

1634564541665.jpeg

Very nice. Also very clever to build the offices/apparments where they are. Nobody can watch matches from there. I would not mind living that close to our new stadium.

Very nice. Also very clever to build the offices/apparments where they are. Nobody can watch matches from there. I would not mind living that close to our new stadium.

You can! Where do you think Leicester got the idea from?! 😎

39282310-9259771-image-a-23_1613326475240.jpg

Not sure this is the right thread for this or if it’s been mentioned before, but Oxford Mail has an article today (page 8) about two new passenger rail stations, one of which will be at oxford science park. I’m sure the board will already be well aware, but it that a potential game changer for access to the current site and options for what to do in 2026?

Not sure this is the right thread for this or if it’s been mentioned before, but Oxford Mail has an article today (page 8) about two new passenger rail stations, one of which will be at oxford science park. I’m sure the board will already be well aware, but it that a potential game changer for access to the current site and options for what to do in 2026?

I’d say it has been mentioned roughly 200 times on this thread alone.

Only problem with the oxford science park station is it won't be on a main line, it is also only 1 track line and probably will only be good for a shuttle from oxford city centre and back. Can't see it having an impact on getting crowds to the ground like a stadium near oxford Parkway would.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom