Pre-Match Music ...........

Some cracking choices. Personal favourite would be leave them all behind by Ride. Couldn’t we test a few out over the next few weeks a see which has the best reaction?

Great song, I have my doubts about it as run-out music though!

Personally think Alright by Supergrass would be the perfect tune to play after a win. I know that's not the thread title but whilst music on the agenda we really should be ditching Sweet Caroline, generic cringefest. As mentioned above at least Supergrass are a local band.

I don't think it's quite a "pump up" walk out song though, would prefer Diamond Hoo Ha Man by Supergrass instead.

I'd be quite happy for this pre-match, amongst a few other suggestions I have seen elsewhere like Enter Sandman or of course Perkele.

Should we also aspire for the music to be cut/volume lowered shortly before kick off? Surely the best noise is real crowd noise.

Unfortunately, it is music for football fans, not live music connoisseurs. :)

Needs to be:
  1. Punchy
  2. Loud
  3. Energetic
  4. Easy to sing along with
  5. Relevant to aspects of the club.
  6. Short - 2/3 minutes.
Perkele wins hands down! (y)
Have to agree, as an Oxford fan what better line could there be from a band out there than the line from Perkele " my heart beats for you, the yellow and the blue'!!

It's not always the song or piece of music that is the tipping point. The ability to motivate others to join in, remember lyrics or just clap at the appropriate point of the rendition is far more likely to endear a tune to the masses. Think Liverpool and Walk alone, Bristol Rovers and Irene. Even the simplistic Play up Pompey remains a fan favourite, much to the disgust of opposition fans, of course!

Mrs Lounger suggested, jokingly, "The hills are alive" from the Sound of music but, think about it, 8000 OUFC fans all singing together "the hills are alive with the sound of OXFORD, OXFORD. Corny, yes, catchy, yes, a good idea, ok maybe not but, you get the drift.
Well that's an interesting idea, not as stupid as it first sounds, good call. Whatever is chosen for when we win, it needs to be played as the match ends not as now when the main body of fans have legged it.

Given what happened the last time we ran out to music by someone local we might be tempting fate, no one wants another Gary Glitter.

Although if that’s the route people insist on going down then let’s have the poetry of Pam Ayers piped out through the speakers, she stirs my loins in a local yokel fashion.

Always on the fence about this. Perfect lyrics, kind of a sing along, the bad side is that it's an absolutely atrocious song and the singing makes my ears bleed :LOL:

That bit doesn`t matter - it's not for connoisseurs ....... it's for a "terrace anthem".

It would be unique.

We can join in.

It's got some energy.

It's short.

It can be played loud.

🎶 My heart beats for you the yellow and the blue.... 🎶

That bit doesn`t matter - it's not for connoisseurs ....... it's for a "terrace anthem".

It would be unique.

We can join in.

It's got some energy.

It's short.

It can be played loud.

🎶 My heart beats for you the yellow and the blue.... 🎶

🎶 My ears bleed for you the yellow and the blue.... 🎶

Just kidding, I don't mind it coming on in the lead up, but would probably go with something else for the walk out tune

If we're looking for local bands who are also big Oxford United fans, it's worth looking into the Samurai Seven who were around a decade or so ago. A favourite of John Peel, and quite a few up-tempo songs that might make for good pre-match music, if not the main song to come out to. Here's a really good bit with John Peel interviewing them at the Manor (with some lovely shots of the old ground if you can forgive Peel for calling it Manor Road!):

There isn't loads of their stuff on Youtube, but this version of Sound of the Suburbs is cracking:

Doesn't Sandie Shaw and Puppet on a string (or have I got the wrong song?) usually get a mention?

If we're looking for local bands who are also big Oxford United fans, it's worth looking into the Samurai Seven who were around a decade or so ago. A favourite of John Peel, and quite a few up-tempo songs that might make for good pre-match music, if not the main song to come out to. Here's a really good bit with John Peel interviewing them at the Manor (with some lovely shots of the old ground if you can forgive Peel for calling it Manor Road!):

There isn't loads of their stuff on Youtube, but this version of Sound of the Suburbs is cracking:
Ah, the legends of Shifty Disco. Anyone know if the label is still going?

Peel and the boys on the LRT, looks like they are stood just behind where we used to watch games...
1635434056496.png

Looks like Shifty Disco hasn't been active since early 2010s: https://www.discogs.com/label/656-Shifty-Disco?sort=year&sort_order=desc

Their last big band (and another good option for local music) was the Young Knives.

I really like the idea of using the pre-match music to at least give a nod to local music, supporting labels like Shifty Disco.

For rabble rousing entrance music I think it's got to be the Perkele song, or perhaps Sham 69 and 'If the Kids are United' which often gets played already.

Yellow River, Yellow River
Is in my mind and in my eyes
Yellow River, Yellow River
Is in my blood, it's the place I love

Says it all really:)

...and by a local band. I really do think we should be embracing our Oxford heritage, musically the city and county has been punching massively above it's weight for decades now. I'd even go as far as trying to get some of the smaller local bands on the matchday playlists. Have the playlists published in the programme, little bits on the local bands as well. There isn't enough pride at what our county achieves, let's celebrate it.

…and that local band are coming to a venue near you, very soon!

Back
Top Bottom