World Cup San marino

In other qualifying news, Northern Ireland hold Italy to a draw meaning Switzerland qualify automatically.

Watch as the Scots dance around at getting a playoff place and then draw the European champions to try to get to the World Cup!

Hopefully on your last point.

Hopefully on your last point.

I think that due to winning that game last night the Scots will avoid Italy by some UEFA ruling.

It’s not an easy gig for them. Of the 12 teams that will go forward into the playoffs (qualifying group runners up and some second chance teams from the Nations League), only three will make it the World Cup finals. Bearing in mind, the calibre of teams making up the playoffs includes Portugal, Sweden, Italy, Russia and Poland, I still think Scotland will struggle to qualify.

Despite the usual social media moaning about international breaks, the UEFA qualifying has been exceptionally exciting. Serbia’s last minute winner to qualify in the final game away at Portugal, Switzerland leapfrogging Italy to make it as the Italians were again held to a draw, a late own goal to send Croatia through at the expense of Russia and there’s a real scrap in Group G - a winner takes all match between Norway and Netherlands with Turkey watching closely in case they can capitalise on a result that sees them make the playoffs with a win too.

It’s not an easy gig for them. Of the 12 teams that will go forward into the playoffs (qualifying group runners up and some second chance teams from the Nations League), only three will make it the World Cup finals. Bearing in mind, the calibre of teams making up the playoffs includes Portugal, Sweden, Italy, Russia and Poland, I still think Scotland will struggle to qualify.
They really need a good draw, in the sense that they avoid being in the same bracket as Italy, Portugal, and, if they end up in the playoffs, Netherlands. Scotland are seeded so will be at home in their semi final. Italy and Portugal are seeded as well, it’s unlikely that Netherlands will be in the playoffs and unseeded, so a home semi final match against any of the others is winnable, with Scotland likely to be favourites to go through to their bracket final.

Back
Top Bottom