General Season ticket prices

Did the pub provide additional stewards and staffing for your roast beef?

Additional staffing, hand sanitising stations, signage, a one-way system, reduced indoor capacity, table service only, increased covered seating area outside, expanded uncovered outdoor seating in a neighbours field............... I`m sure it was all provided free by others at no cost to the business.

I'm in a strange 'ITK' kind of situation here. One of my closest mates runs her own pub, and yes it's been bloody tough and since being allowed to reopen are just about covering costs. And I have a link to the City hierarchy of course, anything they can do to get a few quid in is vital, as it is for all clubs. If you can support them, great, get yourself down there.

Oxford City will be covering significant extra costs on Friday with a reduced capacity, on the back of 18 months of losses. They have pitched the price of tickets as they see fit, and everyone has the choice whether to pay or not.

That's not flippant, it's reality.
Oxford United Owner at the time for a League cup tie a competition that has struggled with numbers, It's full price because it's Charlton whom he perceived to be a Big (Name) Club.

Was the clubs position really Pay or not it's your choice?

That's a Wonderful attitude to have towards your paying customers !

So rather than forward thinking and recognizing that your customers will also have been and continue to be going through tough times the position is Let's Rinse them for every penny we can. A very dangerous game to play at the best of times but to adopt an apparent they'll come anyway and to be seen to be doing so when people have also been struggling and in the habit of sitting at home is surely not the actions of supposed clever and sensible businessmen/women.

No, it's context and something you're deliberately missing. Essex said that his Sunday lunch hadn't increased in cost (although many businesses have put prices up). But there will be an increase in costs incurred by Oxford City beyond what pubs will generally find - increased stewarding for example.

You say that pubs have increased staffing, but that's very rare. Most are just using staffing differently. Rather than staff behind bars the same staff are providing table service. I've not seen any where they have increased numbers.

Oxford City are a business and choose to set prices as they see fit. We as consumers have a choice whether to pay or not. Apparently 500+ tickets have been sold. If that's all at full price then they have taken over £7k with a few days to go. We don't know how many they would have sold if they were cheaper, but if they sold 700 at a tenner then they would have made the same.

But regardless of whatever sits in City's accounts, this is being used as a stick to beat the club with which seems a little more flippant than anything I've written!
have you lost the plot?

so you prefer 500 customers rather than 700 ! forward thinking not your strong point clearly

I'm in a strange 'ITK' kind of situation here. One of my closest mates runs her own pub, and yes it's been bloody tough and since being allowed to reopen are just about covering costs. And I have a link to the City hierarchy of course, anything they can do to get a few quid in is vital, as it is for all clubs. If you can support them, great, get yourself down there.

Can you confirm that Oxford Utd are taking a cut of the gate money and we’re happy with the pricing set for the game?

Can you confirm that Oxford Utd are taking a cut of the gate money and we’re happy with the pricing set for the game?
Not something I've asked to be honest, and pretty sure I wouldn't be told the answer if I did ask.

....... go or don't go! City like lots of local clubs have had an horrendous year and this is one opportunity to bring in some much needed finance (much of which will be offset by increased stewards and staff to meet covid regulations).
This attitude really doesn't help. Adopting a 'take it or leave it' position doesn't even attempt to address any problems, and sweeps genuine concerns that the game is pricing people out of attending under the carpet. "You don't want to pay £100 for a match shirt? Well boo hoo, just don't buy it then."

There are people who do want to go, but are priced out by clubs not thinking of fans with low incomes and only thinking of how they can make a few extra quid. No one should pay more than £10 for a friendly let's be honest (I'd argue more than £5), and I know that you've said City want to make as much money as possible, but if they price their tickets so high it'll put off most people from attending. What would be better for City, selling 500 tickets at £14 a go or 750 for £10?

I don’t really understand why Oxford city would give us a cut of the gate receipts , it’s a friendly

This attitude really doesn't help. Adopting a 'take it or leave it' position doesn't even attempt to address any problems, and sweeps genuine concerns that the game is pricing people out of attending under the carpet. "You don't want to pay £100 for a match shirt? Well boo hoo, just don't buy it then."

There are people who do want to go, but are priced out by clubs not thinking of fans with low incomes and only thinking of how they can make a few extra quid. No one should pay more than £10 for a friendly let's be honest (I'd argue more than £5), and I know that you've said City want to make as much money as possible, but if they price their tickets so high it'll put off most people from attending. What would be better for City, selling 500 tickets at £14 a go or 750 for £10?
Do you think 200 people are being put off going to the game for the sake of 4 quid?

Do you think 200 people are being put off going to the game for the sake of 4 quid?
Not £4 in of itself, but if people are buying for more than just themselves, and these extra £s here and there add up over the course of the season, then you could be looking at a not insignificant amount of money leaving people's pockets. If fans don't put any pressure on clubs gradually raising prices so that adults are paying £14 each for a friendly match, then we'll soon get to the insane position that clubs in the top flight have in charging £100 for a match shirt. Because for all the internal muttering and moaning, people would just buy the things anyway. Let's not get into that position if we can help it.

You say that pubs have increased staffing, but that's very rare. Most are just using staffing differently. Rather than staff behind bars the same staff are providing table service. I've not seen any where they have increased numbers.

Have at our pub.

Staff numbers may be similar or only slightly up but many more staff than usual working on the same shift.

Same staff but many more shifts = much higher wage bill.

When the next pre-season friendly kickabout is £20 I`ll get back to you. Remember the campaign that Twenty was Plenty for League games?

They need to be enticing their customers back many of whom will have struggled in many different ways.

Instead they say "We`ll rinse you for what we think we can get away with....we`ve had it hard".

When the next pre-season friendly kickabout is £20 I`ll get back to you. Remember the campaign that Twenty was Plenty for League games?

They need to be enticing their customers back many of whom will have struggled in many different ways.

Instead they say "We`ll rinse you for what we think we can get away with....we`ve had it hard".
I do think that all pre season friendlies should be free to season ticket holders, and I agree, the ticket prices are a bit high to watch football in what is essentially an unfinished stadium, with appalling facilities!

However, I think you’re underestimating the amount of money the club will have lost over the last 18 months, when clubs at our level rely heavily on ticket sales and match day revenue as their primary source of income.

And let’s not forget, they will still have been paying wages and rent on the stadium throughout this time as well, and it’s a little harsh to suggest they’re trying to rinse us.

We’re in a lot of debt, and this pandemic could’ve killed the club, so I’m just grateful we’ve still got a club to support this season.

God we need a signing or two to cheer you miserable sods up! 😂

Last edited:

Huh? A Tory who doesn’t believe in the free market? Surely they will charge what the market can bear. There is a lot of interest in football at the moment and people want to see the players close up after so long.

Back
Top Bottom