Local News Speedway coming back?!

Yes you might be right, people like motor sport in general. You'd think it would need some decent marketing though to bring in new people.

Get a decent bar up there and add in entertainment and food and hopefully it will work out for the speedway/dogs. Definitely needs to be turned into a decent venue and have multiple uses as a site but you would hope that’s possible.

My older cousin still talks fondly of the nightclub they had there, which is strange as the bouncers threw him over the top bannister of the stair case, so it must of been good.

Last edited:
Yes, the Greyhounds are coming back as from what I've read previously it is a key part of the plan.

Good, hopefully with us getting us a new ground as well it will see a bit of a a resurgence in entertainment venues in Oxford, I get that everyone needs somewhere to live but not at the cost of every communal activity/space, not everyone wants to live in soulless commuter towns.

Brilliant news. Can’t wait to go and watch again.

I’ve missed it.

The last time I went it was

Todd Wiltshire
Lukas Dryml
Steve Johnston
Brian Anderson
Leigh Adams
Ales Dryml
Andrew Appleton.

Richard Palmer was my neighbour in Greater Leys.

We won the Elite League and Kirsty Gallagher enjoyed it with Suzy Perry and Sophie Blake, the later went on to marry Scott Nicholls who rode for the Ipswich Witches.

Seen some great riders at Oxford over the years, but Hans Nielsen is my favourite. Tony Rickkardson was a bloody good guest at times too.

I really hope we can get Polish rider Bartosz Zmarzlik he’s a very exciting rider.

Ronnie Genz. The ladies heartthrob.

think he'd been years after I stopped going? , ( though I did take my youngest daughter to speedway at Sandy lane, once, during the latter 80s- she didn't like it much, she preferred going to the Manor)

Couple of my Nans favourite Cheetahs riders, way back in the day, were Arne Pander and Roy Trigg ( I think)
and she was a bit maternal (from a distance) regarding Rick Timmo

I remember Hans Nielsen and Simon Wigg in the Oxford Mail, but I find it hard to believe anyone under 60 would want to go and see it now. Is it a cunning way of proving that the leisure facility is unviable and that the land should be converted to housing?
Bloody hell I cant believe Im reading this... 😁 Have you been to a speedway meet? I know its not for everyone but I for one am really excited at the prospect of going again. Im under 60 btw... 😁

Bloody hell I cant believe Im reading this... 😁 Have you been to a speedway meet? I know its not for everyone but I for one am really excited at the prospect of going again. Im under 60 btw... 😁
I may well pop down Sady lane when Speedway restarts occasionally, probably with a couple of my grandkids ..... (though I am over 60 btw)

I may well pop down Sady lane when Speedway restarts occasionally, probably with a couple of my grandkids ..... (though I am over 60 btw)
Ill try and take my 15 yo son along. He wont have experienced anything like it so will be interesting to see what he makes of it!

I went a couple of times when I was in my teens in the 90s. I will take my 9 year old next year and see what he thinks of it.

I’ve not been! I’m just going on my preconceptions. I’ll give it a go and hope it works out

Back
Top Bottom