Votes: 16 43.2%

Votes: 7 18.9%

Votes: 0 0.0%

Votes: 1 2.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Sarge

God like member
Wound me up a bit (!) during the game.... Handled a full blooded derby reasonably well I thought .... despite Scum trying it on all the time, and I thought tat was a soft pen he gave them ( justice done by Jack) - get a 6 (just) from me

Yup, did alright. Could have lost that a few times but stepped back and took his time. Should maybe have been firmer with all the crap from the scum but ok.

Should have played on twice when he didn’t

Didn’t even give a foul when Brannigan was clearly fouled

Average apart from that

4-5 from me

Last edited:
I though he did well - there were tackles from both sides that another ref might have taken a dimmer view of, but he took into consideration that it was a derby and tried not to send anyone off. I don't think he got anything too drastic wrong. A decent performance.

The performance of the Swindon groundsman on the other hand was shocking, but I hope he gets a good crop of potatoes. :)

First half excellent - dealt with the two heavy tackles (one apiece) as you should for a big derby game.

Second half less impressive.....will have to take another look at the penalty as it seemed clumsy but a bit soft.

Thought he did things very well, was impressed with the way he prevented things boiling over by taking his time before giving the card

Breakspear gives a lot of soft penalties. - he gave one last Saturday at Exeter.

Amazed he never got his red card out tonight . I don’t think he’s s great referee but overall he wasn’t too bad tonight.

He did OK.
A soft penalty but my first Impression was that it was one.
He avoided sending offs and kept yellows to a minimum.
7 for me

excellent control of the players, never getting in a position to send players off and then ruin the game.

5 for me . Ok with the bookings. Handled the dug outs well.

As said advantage was very poor and seemed to want to over cook his decision to the players rather than. Playing a quick play on. Annoying, would be more annoyed if we’d lost. Was a fair shout for their pen too.

I think a solid 7. Didn't let the game boil over but also allowed for some decent challenges. As others have said could have done with advantage a couple of times but he was too keen to whistle.

Anyone denying that was a penalty probably needs to take the yellow tinted glasses off. Clumsy and no where near the ball, did enough to take the man out and if it was the other way round no one would be saying it was soft!

• React
Reactions: m
Can a derby game "flow"?
I'd argue not. In which case you need a ref just like this one. No sh*t taken, knows when a hard tackle is a hard tackle.
Yes, the "Mr Conversationalist" style as favoured by refs about 10 years ago breaks things up and is a bit frustrating, but that's the flipside.

Sykes was well served with his yellow. The tackle on Brannagan was borderline. Penalty a really, really clumsy challenge by Taylor...unnecessary.

My typical "between 6 and 7" rating...would err on the higher side if pushed.

Thought he done good. Stopped them making it a clogging contest. Got the majority of calls right, worked well with the lino`s and actually spoke to them when he was uncertain, even if they disagreed! Looked to be communicating well and justifying his calls. Penalty was a silly challenge but made Jack a bit more of a hero.
A solid 8 from me.

Back
Top Bottom