General Summary of The New Stadium Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I know that,
It's the Oxford greenbelt negative not me.
That's why similar sized towns years ago.
Swindon, reading, nothhampton has dwarfed Oxford is because of negative nimbys, councilors, etc why our growth is where it's at.youve got to get past them. They won't make it Easy
This land was bought by the County Council in the 1930’s with the sole aim of keeping a gap in housing between Oxford an Kidlington. 90 odd years later the same council are advising their councillors to approve negotiations for a 250 year lease on the site for this project. Hopefully I am right here🤞🤞but I suspect things are far further down the line regarding many things than we know at present.

Oh yes - indeed. That is exactly what I think would be the plan. The questions then are about cost of parking, amount of parking, frequency and capacity of shuttle busses and provision of safe walking routes for those so inclined.

Suggested that there will be new walk ways to both p&r sites. Obviously cost of parking and shuttle will be revealed further down the line.

A question for those who know about planning.

As the timescale in the proposal is as below, what would be a reasonable time frame from planning being submitted, to actually being approved on a project of this size, so that construction could begin?

May 2022: legal and preplanning due diligence concluded.

May 2023: planning application submitted.

May 2026: construction of the new Stadium to be completed.

This is an area I work in.

This entirely depends on a number of things including the councils and the general drivers. You can usually class these as important requirements (housing/schools/other important infrastructure), general requirements (commercial/retail), and luxury requirements (Aston Martin museum, Bicester Water Park). I would put this slap bang in between important and general requirements, given that based on what we have seen so far (very little), this would free up 25+ acres across two sites for Oxford City Council to build on land that previously was not stated in their development plans. This is potentially a very good position to be in, depending on how OCC and Cherwell Council look at things. Luxury requirements would take years of fighting planning etc.

There is the potential that given this could free up a hell of a lot of land for the city council not outlined in the regional plan, that as part of the agreement going through Cherwell Council may not need to build as many homes. This is a good negotiation piece and would help Cherwell to come to a positive conclusion.

The second obstacle is the Green Belt. Again, 15 years ago this would have never passed, however the recent changes within government for the building of homes (despite the many cock ups they've made) has really opened up more land for development providing there is a substantial wider benefit. Given the number of homes that would be built on brownfield sites in the city, I would argue this is a substantial wider benefit. It would also take a bit of land that is a loss-leader for Cherwell Council, again another favourable outcome.

Despite this, there will be big pressure from Green groups & local residents. There always is. I think the two major concerns will be Green Belt (per above) and traffic. The club will have received advice on a traffic survey by now, and may have already conducted one (we don't know this, but to me it seems like the club has done much more than a typical pre-planning stage would require usually). I would hope given the environmental & sustainability goals we're setting out that this will not throw up any surprises given the expectations of public transport usage. If this survey is positive, the councillors would more than likely disregard traffic concerns, though often the project teams will start with the bare minimum of concessions for traffic, and expect to have to do certain things (employ traffic management companies, pay for better services etc).

I'm blind to the work that has been conducted so far. I honestly can't tell how much work has already been conducted. Given the clubs anticipated timeline, I expect a fair amount, but given that we seem to be between phase 2 & phase 3 of the RIBA stages of works, I would expect that the club will certainly have a good indication by August 2023 as to whether this will go through. The planning application process should be 10-15 weeks for a project of this size, maybe longer due to more public consultation, though naturally if it's rejected and recommendations made this process shall restart.

I think that May 2026 is a stretch; I reckon the end of 2026 is a fair assumption if they just focussed on the stadium build. Given the fact that the council may request things like the cricket/rugby stuff goes up before building commences, it's a lot to do in a little amount of time.

The complete document for the first meeting of the cabinet can be found HERE

It’s completely understandable how much we’ve looked back in nostalgia over the last 20 years, certainly in regard to the good old days at the Manor.
It was particularly important whist sat in an unfinished arctic wind tunnel, watching the tactical masterclass of Darren Paterson.
But this is a new, confident era, and how we name the stadium shouldn’t have to reflect the past.
The club are finally putting down roots in a stadium we can call home. We should reflect this by buying into the new surroundings and naming the stadium after the geographical location of the site.

Maybe some of the locals can help with the history of the site for the actual name?
Stratford Brake or Gosford also work well with me, only if it’s actually in Gosford of course.

Ladies and Gentlemen, this thread will reproduce the important posts from the New Stadium thread that give (extra) information. New informative posts will be added from time to time. Hopefully this will make it easier to find information as it becomes available.

This thread will not be open for replies. Anything you have to say about the New Stadium can be said in the (very large) original thread on this subject.
If you feel that something important has been left out please PM one of the mods.

Enjoy

Your mod team.

It's been mentioned here that Populous are likely to be the architects and design may similar to that of Minnesota United's 19,800 capacity stadium that opened in April 2019. So I've spent all of ten minutes googling it!

Firstly, the stadium shape and roof is similar to the masterplan we saw on Monday, see Google earth below.

Secondly, another reason why it's design, materials and construction techniques may be copied with tweaks for Stratfield Brake is that it took only 20 months to build! [emoji54]

The Populous built Allianz Field (19,400 capacity) definitely looks very similar to the stadium 'plan' in the proposal document... maybe they just did a cut and paste.

It has the open corners shown. As for steepness of stands and proximity to pitch it doesn't look too bad. Also looks like it has safe standing seats behind the goal??

8af45c182654728d9f9f6fadfdcaaba1.jpg
56fc0aa31266879711f543ed64371a86.jpg

Exiles from outside the UK should note that the petition only accepts a UK postcode.

Planning granted?

Jeez, that would be a very long waiting game.

More is the point, if the proposal gets thrown out next Tuesday by OCC, what happens next?
At this early stage, I'd say nothing is being "thrown out". I used to work for OCC. All the info I've seen so far says "The cabinet is recommended to" enter into negotiatons as requested by OUFC.

In my experience, the council has already decided what it wants to do when it releases consultation plans (or similar).

I'm not saying the plans can't be rejected but I'd be surprised if they got turned down at the first meeting.

I imagine, much more has been discussed behind closed doors than we've seen so far but the proper processes have to be seen to have been followed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom