Sweet Caroline - keep, or get rid?

Do you want Sweet Caroline to continue being played after we win at home?

• Yes, keep it

Votes: 23 32.4%
  • No, get rid of it

Votes: 48 67.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I quite like it ,it’s a good song of its kind and has positive associations for me of us winning. I don’t really go to away games so am not familiar with its use elsewhere though I can see it’s got a bit hackneyed. I also like Dont Stop Believing when we lose, I guess I’m just corny.

Let's hear them?
All have memorable lyrics, and IMO 1000 times much better options than sweet f'kin caroline ( which is used everywhere)

I think any of the 3 below ( all in one way/ form or another London road end faves way back in the day ) are contenders

Those were the Days

When youre Smiling ( cant find the earlier version - this'll give an idea though)

Seasons in The Sun

Concrete and Clay but with these lines included:
And we'll turn the skip to rubble
Before we say goodbye

Was at the match today and was thinking about this when Sweet Caroline was playing. I think Yellow Submarine would be a good shout for a new and unique post-match song. We've tried to use it in the past for the pre match music, but it's not really one to get the blood pumping. As a positive post-win singalong though it'd be spot on.

I wasn't at the match yesterday, but after a good result it would be rather nice to launch into the chorus in this, once the lads have got to playing chords....

Get rid. We had it as an anthem for a few years. We weren’t the first but we co opted at Fleetwood away on a blackpool weekend.
Now the England FA have adopted it , it is tired. It doesn’t belong to any club like z cars or Irene. So goodbye.

Play If paradise is half as nice by Amen Corner when we win.
Or go back to Magic by pilot

Move on it’s dying a death now that it seems to be the anthem for any sport.
If he wasn’t a nonce rock and roll part 1 could have been a rousing tune.

If Supergrass are indeed an Oxford band I am all for playing "alright" after a big win.

As others have said Sweet Caroline is associated with the English national team now anyway. Its probably been time we moved on from it for a while.

From Wheatley, probably about 5 miles from the old Manor Ground, and 10 from the current ground.
Well surely that makes us more connected to it than Neil Diamond then, a good suggestion from @WuTang.

With respect to Radiohead, who I like, I'm not sure any of their songs are upbeat enough to be played after a win... maybe Karma Police could be played after a loss!

Back
Top Bottom