Thank f**k.

You are suggesting that the clubs Public Relations are not of interest to the supporters? OxVox are the supporters, without whom there is no club.
No, I am not. Read his post again, His implication is that OxVox is, at least in part, responsible for the club's image.

Of course, we should care about the club's image, but it is largely the club's responsibility and is certainly not the responsibility of an independent organisation such as OxVox.

No, I am not. Read his post again, His implication is that OxVox is, at least in part, responsible for the club's image.

Of course, we should care about the club's image, but it is largely the club's responsibility and is certainly not the responsibility of an independent organisation such as OxVox.
Thanks for the clarification, as pointed out to me above also.

Don't bring my mum into this!!

Was referring to the new SLO but you knew that, didn’t you!
[/QUOTE]

I knew who you were referring to, but as with so many of your childish allegations you couldn't be further from the truth. Yes, I know Andy Taylor. He's a good man and a lifelong fan doing a great job at our club. Replacing Kath as SLO will be a tough ask, but one I think he'll do well in.

But I haven't spoken to Andy since before the season started and never about anything to do with transfers, ground developments or anything behind the scenes.

And as I'm sure you'll bring up, I also know the family of Sam Long but even they didn't hear about the new contract until half hour before it was officially announced. And other than general updates on his injury recently, I'm told nothing whatsoever from here either.

I know it frustrates you, but consistently trying to wrongly "out" a source is embarrassing. If it makes you feel better then just assume that I make everything up and ignore me. It'll save you a lot of stress and be less tiresome for everyone else.

But my worry is that there has been a bit of a breakdown and that does no one any favours and reflects badly on the club.

My point was that a positive relationship between the club (board) and the fans representative (oxvox) is vitally important, and that IF there has been any breakdown in this relationship (intentionally or otherwise) this is a problem for all and reflects badly on the club (board).

I was not putting any responsibility for the club's PR etc on to oxvox and whilst I would like to hear more from them, it's the sole responsibility of the club to communicate with oxvox. But it's also the responsibility of oxvox to say if there is an issue.

For the record, I'm not unduly worried about the "takeover" or the stadium developments. Nothing I've heard in recent weeks changes the position I've held for some time, and that is that significant additional investment will enable Oxford United to develop their own home and be able to compete at championship level at least. But I'd also like as much protection as possible in ensuring that the future of Oxford United to secure for navy years to come. I genuinely feel that Neil McWilliams is "our" man on the inside but want Oxvox to be heavily involved too.

I'm not sure that there's anything particularly controversial or divisive about anything I've posted. And I'm certainly not sure that it warrants the digs that come from Junior and the likes. But that's life I guess!

I knew who you were referring to, but as with so many of your childish allegations you couldn't be further from the truth. Yes, I know Andy Taylor. He's a good man and a lifelong fan doing a great job at our club. Replacing Kath as SLO will be a tough ask, but one I think he'll do well in.

But I haven't spoken to Andy since before the season started and never about anything to do with transfers, ground developments or anything behind the scenes.

And as I'm sure you'll bring up, I also know the family of Sam Long but even they didn't hear about the new contract until half hour before it was officially announced. And other than general updates on his injury recently, I'm told nothing whatsoever from here either.

I know it frustrates you, but consistently trying to wrongly "out" a source is embarrassing. If it makes you feel better then just assume that I make everything up and ignore me. It'll save you a lot of stress and be less tiresome for everyone else.[/QUOTE]

Not trying to out you. Just pointing out you may have a slight bias!!

Out of interest, will you be part of the new council when it launches.......?!

I know it frustrates you, but consistently trying to wrongly "out" a source is embarrassing. If it makes you feel better then just assume that I make everything up and ignore me. It'll save you a lot of stress and be less tiresome for everyone else.

Not trying to out you. Just pointing out you may have a slight bias!!

Out of interest, will you be part of the new council when it launches.......?!
[/QUOTE]

I have a bias to pretty much everything related to Oxford United.

I haven't considered the fans council to be honest, and I'm sure there are many hundreds of fans who would offer far more than I could. But I will certainly give them my support.

Correct. An independent supporters’ group is not supposed to act as a public relations arm of the football club. It’s supposed to scrutinise and hold it to account in a firm but fair manner, and support when warranted on merit. That’s the deal. Its purpose is to report the truth even if it isn’t pretty, and if that’s the case then it’s not for them to apologise on the club’s behalf. Ever. If there’s a pig to be found then people can tart it up themselves. It’s nobody else’s job to help get it into a dress.

To suggest otherwise is akin to believing that the taxman should help you out rather than making sure your books are in order. You can get on just fine with them and co-operate in a very healthy and positive way, but they’re there to make sure you’re clean and paying what you owe.

If people want painted on smiles and jobs for the boys, join the Fan Council.

If people want painted on smiles and jobs for the boys, join the Fan Council.
And that's what worries me a bit about the initiative.

Who will these people be? How will they get chosen to be on this body? Presumably not elected in any way, so they will be the club's selection from those who apply. And presumably the club can also choose who remains on there as well.

While it is always good for the club to speak to the supporters, anything meaningful has to be done on a 'critical friend' basis. So if the club want to use this Fan Council to get a few ideas etc (perhaps from specific parts of the fan base) then fine - anything more than that and they should be talking to the proper supporters trust. Any 'approval' of club decisions by the Council will mean very very little - so I hope they are not used to give spurious 'fans' backing for things.

I think we will have to wait and see how it pans out.

Last edited:
And that's what worries me a bit about the initiative.

Who will these people be? How will they get chosen to be on this body? Presumably not elected in any way, so they will be the club's selection from those who apply. And presumably the club can also chose who remains on there as well.

While it is always good for the club to speak to the supporters, anything meaningful has to be done on a 'critical friend' basis. So if the club want to use this Fan Council to get a few ideas etc (perhaps from specific parts of the fan base) then fine - anything more than that and they should be talking to the proper supporters trust. Any 'approval' of club decisions by the Council will mean very very little - so I hope they are not used to give spurious 'fans' backing for things.

I think we will have to wait and see how it pans out.
Quite.

I’m also being purposefully and intentionally provocative because I’m a bit of a bastard.

Maybe Oxvov have just been asked to refrain from comment at present and have agreed to do so. Who knows?

Maybe those who berate volunteers should try volunteering themselves, that is what really boils my urine.

Folk who sit on the side-lines sniping at those folk who are actually doing something.

Want to know what`s going on? Get elected and do the hard yards yourself.

Do I expect to be told what is going on in a private business barring what is legally required? No.

Am I glad we have an independent supporters "voice"? Yes.

Do I expect that group to be working within a confidential environment? At times yes.

There are a myriad of events over the last 40+ years that would dissuade the average customer and that is the same for almost every club....do clubs exploit our loyalty? Hell yes.

Maybe Oxvov have just been asked to refrain from comment at present and have agreed to do so. Who knows?

One would hope that OxVox do.

It would be quite interesting if OxVox could speak up: have OxVox been approached for comment or support on this dubious initiative? Whether or not they have, what is their position? What is OxVox' position on the club takeover? What do they know and not know? What would they like to know?

I'm asking not because I'm a bit of bastard (I am) but because I pay money to be a member of an independent supporters organisation and I want to know. I'm also concerned that a lot of supporters and potential supporters are bastards as well and are much more likely to join in with a shiny new "support the club whatever" group if OxVox don't start justifying their existence.

Now it not the time to sit on your hands, people.

Wishful thinking, but maybe Oxvox have been kept in the loop about the new stadium situation, and have been sworn to secrecy, until something can be confirmed?

You never know! ;)

I know it frustrates you, but consistently trying to wrongly "out" a source is embarrassing. If it makes you feel better then just assume that I make everything up and ignore me. It'll save you a lot of stress and be less tiresome for everyone else.[/QUOTE]

Still a good man given the way that he left the prison service, interesting you’d think that way...

Still a good man given the way that he left the prison service, interesting you’d think that way...

Yes, a very good man and one I was proud to work with. If you have any concerns about an employee of Oxford United then you should approach the club directly rather than make unsubstantiated allegations on a public forum.

I won't say anything else on the matter as I've more respect than to drag someone's name through the mud for the sake of a couple of cheap likes on a here.

I’m not making any allegations...

Just asking your thoughts on the alleged events that led to him leaving the service and if you still thought he was a good man on the back of that.

Not surprised by your answer mind given that there still maybe a vested interest given that certain peoples may still have a working relationship with each other..

Anyway, I’m sure he wouldn’t mind given the form he’s had in the past for attempting to generate trouble for people and their employees...

Last edited:
One would hope that OxVox do.

It would be quite interesting if OxVox could speak up: have OxVox been approached for comment or support on this dubious initiative? Whether or not they have, what is their position? What is OxVox' position on the club takeover? What do they know and not know? What would they like to know?

I'm asking not because I'm a bit of bastard (I am) but because I pay money to be a member of an independent supporters organisation and I want to know. I'm also concerned that a lot of supporters and potential supporters are bastards as well and are much more likely to join in with a shiny new "support the club whatever" group if OxVox don't start justifying their existence.

Now it not the time to sit on your hands, people.
Absolutely. The lack of any comment from our main supporters group is frustrating (spoken as another bit of a bastard). And the silence just leads to the sort of bickering apparent on this forum. OK: they probably know more about future developments than us nobodies. OK: they’ve possibly been told not to divulge details. But personally it irritates me that they can think it fine to say absolutely nothing to those of us who support the club (in my case for over 50 years) and worry about its future.

Back
Top Bottom