General The Goalkeeping Dilemma

What should we do about the GK situation for 2022/23?

• Stick with Stevens - he's our No.1 and will come good again

Votes: 23 20.2%
  • Mix it up, Stevens and Eastwood. The latter is capable of being No.1 anyway

Votes: 10 8.8%
  • Bring in someone new

Votes: 72 63.2%
  • Bring Eastwood back in

Votes: 9 7.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I was thinking the very same - I hope he's a world-beater but if Stevens does leave, then there is a high risk that our goalkeeping position is worsened from last season.
Whatever happens we should have 2 GK's capable of playing. I would imagine Stevens/Eastwood would start the season, but as soon as one deserves to be dropped, McGinty can come in and stake his claim. Much the same as the covid season when Eastwood was dropped and Stevens came in.

This to my mind will be the first Keeper Robinson has bought in on a permanent since being here. Will be interesting if he's scouted McGinty because of his distribution. I love Stevens and Eastwood for what they've done in certain periods, but both their distribution is really poor IMO.

I would expect we keep three keepers and one would go in January (sold or loan)?

That would see us keeping an additional wage on the books for an extra six months and have a long queue of keepers. Brearey and Plumley have been around the first team squad as well too.

I can only assume that an incoming GK means one is outgoing, be it permanent or a loan for one of the younger ones.

Lads, you have signed a diamond in Ed McGinty, and if rumours are true at 60k an absolute steal at that.
Since breaking into the Sligo Rovers side a couple of seasons ago he has improved immeasurably and is/was the best keeper in Irish football by a mile.
Great shot stopper, commanding and very good with his feet and distribution, though if anything that aspect could be improved on from an already high standard.
Rarely puts a foot wrong week in week out for Rovers and this is the perfect time for him to progress his career.
Luton were also chasing him but signed Horvath from Forest on a seasons loan instead. Ed's way better than Horvarth and that's coming from a Forest and occasional Sligo Rovers fan.
Looking forward to seeing Ed do well for you. You have a great keeper in your squad and a really nice fella to boot.
Good luck for the season ahead.

Lads, you have signed a diamond in Ed McGinty, and if rumours are true at 60k an absolute steal at that.
Since breaking into the Sligo Rovers side a couple of seasons ago he has improved immeasurably and is/was the best keeper in Irish football by a mile.
Great shot stopper, commanding and very good with his feet and distribution, though if anything that aspect could be improved on from an already high standard.
Rarely puts a foot wrong week in week out for Rovers and this is the perfect time for him to progress his career.
Luton were also chasing him but signed Horvath from Forest on a seasons loan instead. Ed's way better than Horvarth and that's coming from a Forest and occasional Sligo Rovers fan.
Looking forward to seeing Ed do well for you. You have a great keeper in your squad and a really nice fella to boot.
Cheers Bit O Red, all great to hear. Cant wait to see what he’s all about!

What happened to that young ginger keeper KR signed a couple of seasons ago?

One of Stevens or Eastwood might do a job on loan at Exeter who are looking to recruit a GK.

What happened to that young ginger keeper KR signed a couple of seasons ago?

Released, hence the potential Irish lad coming in, who will probably be a number three with a view to pushing the other two more than the youth keepers. May be loaned out to conference with an immediate release clause in event of injury to either Stevens/Eastwood. Fans stating he has been bought as a potential no1 are in cukoo land, his fee is five figures and probably no where near the £60,000 being quoted. Scouts have identified him and as they did with McNally and Cooper and its worth a punt. if it works out like McNally positve and if like Cooper no major financial loss. As to the suggestion the lad would only be coming expecting first team football, the reality is he is at present a part time footballer in a part time low level league probably on around £500.00 per week so why wouldnt he want to come even if only doubling his money and a chance to advance his career..

Fans stating he has been bought as a potential no1 are in cukoo land, his fee is five figures and probably no where near the £60,000 being quoted.
Really? How do you know out of interest?
It sounded like £60k was plausible based on who were supposedly after him.

Thanks, look forward to seeing your lot back on MOTD!

Released, hence the potential Irish lad coming in, who will probably be a number three with a view to pushing the other two more than the youth keepers. May be loaned out to conference with an immediate release clause in event of injury to either Stevens/Eastwood. Fans stating he has been bought as a potential no1 are in cukoo land, his fee is five figures and probably no where near the £60,000 being quoted. Scouts have identified him and as they did with McNally and Cooper and its worth a punt. if it works out like McNally positve and if like Cooper no major financial loss. As to the suggestion the lad would only be coming expecting first team football, the reality is he is at present a part time footballer in a part time low level league probably on around £500.00 per week so why wouldnt he want to come even if only doubling his money and a chance to advance his career..

Who are you, and how do you know this?

Really? How do you know out of interest?
It sounded like £60k was plausible based on who were supposedly after him.

just from what I believe is a good source, could be wrong but no reason to doubt it

If he is playing for Sligo thursday night the game should be available through the Motherwell website, i've seen him 3 or 4 times, he does look good (i know its a big step up) and he is better with his feet than both Stevens and Eastwood, he is very highly rated and i think once he gets a chance he will keep his place

Who are you, and how do you know this?

If he is playing for Sligo thursday night the game should be available through the Motherwell website, i've seen him 3 or 4 times, he does look good (i know its a big step up) and he is better with his feet than both Stevens and Eastwood, he is very highly rated and i think once he gets a chance he will keep his place

Good info that and lets hope he is good as you have indicated, surprised you mention Stevens feet, personally I think Stevens is good with his feet in the short and mid term passing range and is not scared of being a option at the back as always seems confident and accurate when ball played to him. Problem is when forced to go long and due to having little to compete in the air for the long ball due to relatively small forwards it seems to supporters his distribution is rubbish.

Indeed I think he is probably instructed to hit the touchlines around halfway line where wingback/fullbacks can compete away from the usually tall dominating CBs. This take a massive amount of accurancy for any keeper and dictates passing that many so called midfielders would struggle to consistantly achieve. The coaching manual tells you if it goes out on the full from the keepers kick it gives your team a chance to reset defensively for a throw up the pitch rather than at opposition CB's who will usually returns the ball immediatley into danger from the kick. Think Easty has the longer kick but again this option often results in CB dominence with our forward line.

Answer to this in my view is a need to build from the back and the keeper which as said before I think Stevens is good at, but last year especially with McNally most passes to him resulted in it coming straight back even when he had time to turn and pass forward, so you have to have players including the midfield that demand the ball short and have the confidence and ability to build and not go straight back as an easy option.

Just a thought

I'm presuming that Stevens will be loaned out for a season, probably to L2, to let him recapture his form post illness (if he can) away from the oufc spotlight, and then make the decision between the three of them next summer

Just to address a couple of points from yourself and some observations from other posters.
McGinty won't be there to make up the numbers, if, as seems apparent you all as fans aren't over enamoured with the two keepers you have, it suggests to me that they won't take much shifting from their no 1 spot.
In McG you have a former Celtic youth player who moved to Ireland because he has family in Donegal (Dad I think) he is Scottish born but was an Ireland u21 International.
Remember he's in good company with the likes of Bazunu, Kelleher and Travers. What you do have now he's playing in the English leagues is the keeper behind those 3.
The low 5 figure fees paid to Irish clubs on a daily basis are criminal, but its rich pickings for MK Don's, Blackpool, Blackburn, Newcastle Udinese, Como 1907 and yourselves only the past couple of days.
One more point Sligo Rovers are full time professionals and with no disrespect the likes of Derry City, Shamrock Rovers and Dundalk are paying wages the equivalent of any league 1 team. Ed could have gone to any of those after his contract ran out in November. He chose Oxford Utd based on ambition and there is no doubt in my mind he will be your no 1 and I hope that will be in the Championship very soon.
Great keeper to find those wingers on the touch line and so comfortable playing out from the back... God we've all seen those keepers you watch through your fingers when the balls at their feet 😁
Look forward to dropping by your forum in a few months to say I told ya so.

Back
Top Bottom