Ex-Staff Karl Robinson

Not sure that what I said/meant.

A lot of the criticism is justified. Some seem to fail to admit that he did any good whilst here due to how things ended.

Just look where he left us.

He'll blow the Salford gig and end up sleeping in a ditch. Babbling gibberish and waving his hands to an audience that grew tired of him years ago.

It wasn’t all roses and it wasn’t all bad, generally it is somewhere in the middle and for a few years it was fun going to games and knowing if we conceded 2 then we would score 3.

Fun for some people.

I prefer to see us win and keep a clean sheet. We never had a top defense under his leadership, and his refusal to include more than five defenders or two full backs in his squads drove me absolutely spare for the best part of five years......

He started slowly, then did a good-not-great job for three seasons before completely losing the plot in his final year.
If we decided to rank all the Oxford managers in history, he would end up squarely in the middle.

Fun for some people.

I prefer to see us win and keep a clean sheet. We never had a top defense under his leadership, and his refusal to include more than five defenders or two full backs in his squads drove me absolutely spare for the best part of five years......

He started slowly, then did a good-not-great job for three seasons before completely losing the plot in his final year.
If we decided to rank all the Oxford managers in history, he would end up squarely in the middle.
From my time supporting the club (95/96 season) I’d say the top 5 would be:

Dennis Smith
Wilder
Appleton
Robinson
Atkins

From my time supporting the club (95/96 season) I’d say the top 5 would be:

Dennis Smith
Wilder
Appleton
Robinson
Atkins
All the following above Robinson on top of your 3...

Brian Horton, Maurice Evans, Jim Smith, Ian Greaves, Ron Saunders, Arthur Turner.

That would leave Robinson in 10th, although I've a strong feeling I've forgotten someone.

Robinson has found his level, bottom half division 2.

He’ll stabilise them and will get them mid table but that is about it.

In 13 years of management he has secured 1 promotion followed by immediate relegation, and at 2 of his 3 clubs he was given the time to build.

Neville and co don’t seem to have a very good track record in managerial appointments since Salford have been in the league, I think that streak is going to continue with the appointment of Robinson.

Fine, let's do this:

By my count - excluding caretakers, and those that had/have less than ten games in charge (seems like a fair cut-off) - we've had 25 full-time managers of Oxford:

Thompson, Turner, Saunders, Summers, Brown, Asprey, Greaves, J.Smith, Evans, Lawrenson, Horton, D.Smith, Shotton, Kemp, Wright, Atkins, Rix, Diaz, Talbot, Patterson, Wilder, Appleton, Clotet, Robinson and Manning.

I'd say that the nine that Mr. Merritt mentions were unequivocally better than KR.
He's then competing in the second tier with Ramon Diaz, Ian Atkins and, yes, probably the Snake. Some really old timers will likely tell me that Harry Thompson should be in that group as well!

So depending on your view, he's historically somewhere between 10th and 14th out of 25 Oxford Managers. Can't get much more bang average mid-table than that!

In 13 years of management he has secured 1 promotion followed by immediate relegation, and at 2 of his 3 clubs he was given the time to build.

Neville and co don’t seem to have a very good track record in managerial appointments since Salford have been in the league, I think that streak is going to continue with the appointment of Robinson.
he has never managed below league 1 so I’m not sure how lower league 2 is his level.

I hope James Corden fails miserably, and struggles to cope with League Two, although I hope he beats Swindon when he comes up against them.

He achieved the square route of sod all here. I’m glad he’s not involved in this football club, and never have to listen to his constant bullshit interviews.

Think he’ll do ok there, mixing with the hierarchy he’ll be creaming himself.
Will try and go all out to impress them with his coaching etc.
And being a know all, will the 92 be as gullible as our executive.

he has never managed below league 1 so I’m not sure how lower league 2 is his level.
If you are a results focused club then I just don’t think he’s your man. He’s capable of setting teams up to play good football, but overall I think he has a very average managerial record. I think he has been found out, and am not surprised he’s ended up in division 2. Just my view!

Could go either way, it’s popcorn time for us anyway

Thanks for the counselling. I heard him lying and whining when we were up and when we were down. I saw him fail to build a team when given a top budget, I watched him suck the spirit our of the staff.

I hope he fails, like in a pantomime, like the fake he always was and always will be.

His one promotion was on the back of Preston blowing up.

His one promotion was on the back of Preston blowing up.
If we went up from L1, I am.not sure I could be bothered how we did it.
You could argue that when we went up under Denis Smith, we did it because Blackpool blew up. Not that it matters- we went up

Back
Top Bottom