Matches The League 1 Promotion Run In

Has this been proven or is it just conjecture? I've not heard of this before. I thought one of your defenders/goalkeeper told Moore to leave it

Even then, it's not our fault that Eastwood subsequently flattened Fred. He could have handled that situation so much better regardless. As could have Moore
We was originally offside when the ball was played.

If my memory serves me well (it almost certainly doesn't), we just played pathetically in the final. Even our goal was almost certainly (despite what Sykes might have said) a mis-hit cross.

But I also suspect that Colin's comment was a little tongue-in-cheek. [edit: OK, maybe not!]

Regardless, that was one of the most disappointing games I've seen us play, and I've been a supporter since before we were promoted to the football league (the first time).

We weren't at our best, but were the better team regardless . Their second goal was a calamitous mistake after a hopeful hoof forwards. Then there was Henry's miss.
Not just looking at the possession, but shots, shots on target, corners.
We lost because they scored on the important stat, but are you seriously suggesting that Wycombe deserved to win that game?

1648641152082.png

We weren't at our best, but were the better team regardless . Their second goal was a calamitous mistake after a hopeful hoof forwards. Then there was Henry's miss.
We lost because they scored on the important stat, but are you seriously suggesting that Wycombe deserved to win that game?

View attachment 8556

werent the PPG unfairly weighted in WW favour ? ....due to them playing, ( & beating convincingly ),Bolton (?) youth team twice early in 19/20 season - due to a transfer embargo early on in that season,- if memory serves Oxford were the first, or 2nd team to play a full strength Bolton side after they were allowed to sign some players - we drew 0-0 - after Bolton's youth team in earlier games were tonked in every match

Has this been proven or is it just conjecture? I've not heard of this before. I thought one of your defenders/goalkeeper told Moore to leave it

Even then, it's not our fault that Eastwood subsequently flattened Fred. He could have handled that situation so much better regardless. As could have Moore
I was told by someone who was there and very close to it. The only people there were players and officials.

Of course it's your f*****g fault! One of your subs (who were "warming up" immediately adjacent to the incident) deliberately called "keepers ball" and Elliott Moore ducked and left it as he expected Simon Eastwood to be there to collect it. As Eastwood didn't in fact call for it, he expected Moore to head it away, and when he didn't was left in no man's land. Hence he rushed out late and collided with your forward and the result was the penalty with about five minutes left to play.

But, of course, no one in High Wycombe knows anything about it!!!

I have to say that during my spectacularly unimpressive Sunday league career, I saw and heard the tactic of shouting “Leave it” or similar to opposition players on a very regular basis.

It never worked once. If it worked against our professionals, then it’s no one’s fault but theirs.

We lost and we have only ourselves to blame.

I don’t want to see us get smashed every week but seeing us play the likes of Reading, potentially Everton, Blackburn, Forest, Cardiff etc would be great. Also our objectives would change, certainly in the first season, so just avoiding relegation and getting to build and invest would be nice.

So just to belabour the point a little more......

.....and again, before I start, I want to reiterate that I do want us to get promoted. Because it will help the club kick on financially, and it will be exciting to test ourselves in a higher league......

......but compare what's left for us for the remainder of the 2021/22 season, and what's left for Blackpool - our playoff conquerors last year, who've had the sort of season that we would hope for next year.

We've got seven massive games coming up, including Cup Final-style six pointers against Plymouth, MK and Sunderland in front of full houses.
Then, if all goes well, we'll have an epic playoff semi-final, which could see us playing in front of 40,000 at Hillsborough or 50,000 at the SoL; and then a trip to Wembley to play in front of a packed house. It's a bloody exciting end to the season.

Blackpool, meanwhile, have nothing more to play for. They're not going up, they're not going down, they're just going to have a nice, relaxed final nine games of the season playing out the string. And it's not even all that glamorous - trips to Barnsley, Luton, Peterborough & Blackburn......all places we've been in the league in the past few years. Sure, home games against Forest, Birmingham & Derby are nice.....but they're not going to bring any more fans or passion than the likes of Pompey, Wednesday, Ipswich & Sunderland (and whoever is in League One is going to get to play Derby next year anyway).

And Blackpool are what we would aspire to! The worst case scenario is Peterborough.......

(To get pretentious to finish) I suppose I'm just channelling Robert Louis Stevenson - "Little do ye know your own blessedness; for to travel hopefully is a better thing than to arrive"

I finally started listening to POF podcast this week after following POF on twitter. Apparently the solidarity payments from EPL are worth 500K in L2, 750K in L1 and £7M in Championship. (think that was what they said).
Now that's not going to compete with EPL parachute payments, but it could allow you to be like a Wycombe or Rotherham who get relegated from the Championship, but then are in the mix for promotion next year.

View attachment 8556

Actually, Foley, nowhere did I suggest (seriously or otherwise) that WW deserved to win. The relevant words I used about our performance were "played pathetically" and "most disappointing". If I'd had to watch WW (from that era, at least) on a regular basis I'd have switched to watching golf--and that's the most boring game I can think of (sorry Silverox).

I finally started listening to POF podcast this week after following POF on twitter. Apparently the solidarity payments from EPL are worth 500K in L2, 750K in L1 and £7M in Championship. (think that was what they said).
Now that's not going to compete with EPL parachute payments, but it could allow you to be like a Wycombe or Rotherham who get relegated from the Championship, but then are in the mix for promotion next year.
Is that separate to the TV deal, there would be a substantial bump in money for that as well.

Is that separate to the TV deal, there would be a substantial bump in money for that as well.
I can't remember I wasn't listening very carefully. I think it was mainly an example of the different pay-outs between the leagues, and don't even know what season it is based on.

I was told by someone who was there and very close to it. The only people there were players and officials.

Of course it's your f*****g fault! One of your subs (who were "warming up" immediately adjacent to the incident) deliberately called "keepers ball" and Elliott Moore ducked and left it as he expected Simon Eastwood to be there to collect it. As Eastwood didn't in fact call for it, he expected Moore to head it away, and when he didn't was left in no man's land. Hence he rushed out late and collided with your forward and the result was the penalty with about five minutes left to play.

But, of course, no one in High Wycombe knows anything about it!!!

I heard exactly the same story from someone who was also there. Also, the chairman and other "officials" acted like complete c#nts at the end of the game. Horrible club, horrible people.

Pre match salutations

First of all safe travels for tomorrow for those going. It is going to be a great atmosphere based on the sell out crowd.

I am not going to make a prediction as to the result. We have a decent track record of bouncing back from disappointments and I hope that happens after Ipswich. I think it could easily be any of the three possible outcomes dependent on who performs on the day. The least likely score is 0-0.

Whatever happens there are enough games for us both to still make it, and I truly hope we both do....as I have mentioned before I have some OU history, and though a green for life, if it isn't us I would reluctantly accept you going up against any of the others....

I'll be back post the game with an opposition view.....

COYG!

So just to belabour the point a little more......

.....and again, before I start, I want to reiterate that I do want us to get promoted. Because it will help the club kick on financially, and it will be exciting to test ourselves in a higher league......

......but compare what's left for us for the remainder of the 2021/22 season, and what's left for Blackpool - our playoff conquerors last year, who've had the sort of season that we would hope for next year.

We've got seven massive games coming up, including Cup Final-style six pointers against Plymouth, MK and Sunderland in front of full houses.
Then, if all goes well, we'll have an epic playoff semi-final, which could see us playing in front of 40,000 at Hillsborough or 50,000 at the SoL; and then a trip to Wembley to play in front of a packed house. It's a bloody exciting end to the season.

Blackpool, meanwhile, have nothing more to play for. They're not going up, they're not going down, they're just going to have a nice, relaxed final nine games of the season playing out the string. And it's not even all that glamorous - trips to Barnsley, Luton, Peterborough & Blackburn......all places we've been in the league in the past few years. Sure, home games against Forest, Birmingham & Derby are nice.....but they're not going to bring any more fans or passion than the likes of Pompey, Wednesday, Ipswich & Sunderland (and whoever is in League One is going to get to play Derby next year anyway).

And Blackpool are what we would aspire to! The worst case scenario is Peterborough.......

(To get pretentious to finish) I suppose I'm just channelling Robert Louis Stevenson - "Little do ye know your own blessedness; for to travel hopefully is a better thing than to arrive"
Unfortunately capacity at Hillsborough is restricted to 34k but that would reduce for the play offs if we do what we did v Brighton, given they restricted the away allocation to 2k we did the same.

I think one of the Wycombe substitutes shouting 'Leave It' as the ball was lofted up towards Moore, who let it go leading to the penalty probably can be classified as 'cheating'.
Wow, clutching at straws. The reason for the defeat was poor finishing and terrible defending

Wow, clutching at straws. The reason for the defeat was poor finishing and terrible defending
Both of which are true. But equally, in a virtually silent stadium, a shout of "leave it" from behind when a defender is going for the ball is unsporting to say the least!

It doesn't excuse the awful defending for Wycombe's first goal, or that miss by Henry. But it did give Wycombe a way back into the game after they'd created nothing in the second half.

Anyway, Oxford are the only side I can see us struggle against in the play offs, call it me being superstitious but we never seem to beat you in my time watching us.

Been a cracking season mind, though if we don't make play offs it will be called a rubbish season

Last edited:
Anyone, Oxford are the only side I can see us struggle against in the play offs, call it me being superstitious but we never seem to beat you in my time watching us.

Been a cracking season mind, though if we don't make play offs it will be called a rubbish season
It’s been really enjoyable for us, hopefully we’ll remember that if we don’t go up.

Back
Top Bottom