General Time (TV programme)

Foley

Usual good Jimmy McGovern programme.
So Scothegg, how realistic was that?

Usual good Jimmy McGovern programme.
So Scothegg, how realistic was that?
Very realistic. Literally the only thing that wouldn't have happened was right at the end of episode 3 when the two main characters are in the holding cell together. I won't give spoilers but one would never have returned to that prison.

I have witnessed everything else, the assaults and far more, the corruption, the vulnerability of those on both sides of the bars, and the humanity that underpins some very dark experiences.

Excellent programme and worth watching for anyone who wants to know why I'm so messed up!!!

This has been a very interesting programme and well casted too.
This is pretty much how I imagine prison to be, and not the holiday camp portrayed by some of the bottom feeding Press.

Very realistic. Literally the only thing that wouldn't have happened was right at the end of episode 3 when the two main characters are in the holding cell together. I won't give spoilers but one would never have returned to that prison.

I have witnessed everything else, the assaults and far more, the corruption, the vulnerability of those on both sides of the bars, and the humanity that underpins some very dark experiences.

Excellent programme and worth watching for anyone who wants to know why I'm so messed up!!!
Were you not involved as a consultant?

Shame on the program makers!

Were you not involved as a consultant?

Shame on the program makers!

The way I bang on about everything there would have been 20 episodes instead of 3!! My understanding is that the consultancy was through Preston prison, a cat B prison that would be very similar to the experiences shown.

The horror of the first episode.

I’m not sure I could survive that.

The horror of the first episode.

I’m not sure I could survive that.
I'm not ashamed to say that the job has given me nightmares and changed me as a person. Extreme violence becomes normal, and its only when you take a moment to stop that you realise that it's far from normal and no one should have to see some of things I have seen.

But we all find our own ways to cope, and not always in a positive way. I've lost 8 colleagues to suicide over the last 26 years, and many more who have been broken mentally or physically. I am very lucky in having family and friends that I can offload to, and manage my stress and mental wellbeing better these days. But there are times when it has been too much to take.

There are good times of course. I've worked with some incredible staff and prisoners who are good people who have made mistakes. There is humanity in everything we do, and whilst it's not always repaid, I'm exceptionally proud of what I have done to change others.

Back
Top Bottom