EFL Tonight's League 1 games

Well someone has to ask this:

What happens if the stadium development doesn't go smoothly or even gets entirely derailed?

How do we deal with £20M+ of debt?

I think you missed the memo, m.

We're not supposed to worry about the club plunging into debt because we have super-rich owners, and they are of course never going to get bored or frustrated and leave us in the lurch.......

Derby have about 5 contracted players and creditors to pay back, unless they want to start on another points deduction. They'll attract a good enough starting 11 to be a solid mid-table side but I can't see them being a big hitter next season. Ipswich proved that having to rebuild an entire squad requires patience for them to familiarise and work together.
I hope that you are right.
But if the new owners are wealthy they could spend Sunderland kind if money to quickly get them back into the Championship.
The new Derby owners ( assuming it happens fairly quickly) will see Derby as a potential PL club.
Sure it may go wrong like Sunderland and Ipswich, but I would be surprised if Derby don't have a far bigger budget than Oxfords

What happens if the stadium development doesn't go smoothly or even gets entirely derailed?

Stop asking awkward questions.

The men in black will be round shortly. :)

I guess this is also a reason why the board want promotion before the stadium, extra TV money, sponsorship, crowds (even at the kassam) will offset how much we lose compared to now. It would also put us in a stronger position as a championship club with regard to developing Stratfield Brake or another site if all the councilors against find us an alternative site. No one will want to lose a championship club and all the money in generates to the local economy.

Derby have about 5 contracted players and creditors to pay back, unless they want to start on another points deduction. They'll attract a good enough starting 11 to be a solid mid-table side but I can't see them being a big hitter next season. Ipswich proved that having to rebuild an entire squad requires patience for them to familiarise and work together.

Rooney reckons the takeover will be completed in 10 days.

Why?

The Plymouth owner has been very controlled with finances, in a sensible way, from what I've read but could be wrong. Maybe @pafcprogs can clarify this?
So....

Without any inside knowledge we believe that we had a budget c 14th in the division.

Our owner has said he wants the club to be a sustainable commercial venture and that his last tranche of cash to secure us through the pandemic was exactly that...his last tranche of cash.

Due to a prudent insurance policy from the previous owner which paid out for lost revenues through the pandemic, and a decent cup run/surplus income we have a small surplus this season without having eaten into the influx he put in place so financially we a re stable.Some of that will translate into playing squad enhancement for next season whichever league we end up in.

Hallett has said he is not the financial pixie who will fund a moonshot to the EPL...but he is a well connected investment banker in the USA so there are many who think there might be a plan to bring in additional investors if that situation became a reality...

Many of us expect. a couple of close season sales ...Cooper ( ideally with a leaseback loan if we get promoted) and possibly Camara . We have almost all of the current squad for a year or two so any that leave will command fees...Ryan Lowe has said he cannot afford any of our players....so he must fancy a couple :)

We have undoubtedly punched above our financial weight this season....doing it again is not guaranteed but I would expect some significant additions in midfield ( especially if Camara goes) and possibly up front....we have an ongoing debate about needing a plan b a la Vokes or similar.

I think we also need a driving midfield engine /enforcer.

Hallett is a data driven person so whoever we buy/sign will be done in a a similar way to Brentford.....we also have a Director of Football who is well connected to the England ( and Canadian Women) teams hence a lot of the players we are linked with he knows from those interactions....

Scarr was signed because we needed someone who won headers and first contacts...he led the L2 figures for these....

So yes...prudent financially.....and likely to remain so.

Derby's budget next season will be comfortably in the top 6, regardless of whether the new owner is mega rich or not.
Their average attendance this season is behind only Sunderland in L1, season ticket sales and general sponsorship is and will be in a different ballpark to the majority of L1.

The concern around whether they'll exist or not has all but evaporated. This takeover is very close to being done, the business plan has impressed the EFL and Rooney has been working on the L1 plan for some time.

No idea how it will go on the pitch but in budgetary terms, anything less than the play-offs would be a failure.

Derby's budget next season will be comfortably in the top 6, regardless of whether the new owner is mega rich or not.
Their average attendance this season is behind only Sunderland in L1, season ticket sales and general sponsorship is and will be in a different ballpark to the majority of L1.

The concern around whether they'll exist or not has all but evaporated. This takeover is very close to being done, the business plan has impressed the EFL and Rooney has been working on the L1 plan for some time.

No idea how it will go on the pitch but in budgetary terms, anything less than the play-offs would be a failure.
As I said earlier though, that's not how football works. Not only do they have an entire first team squad to sign, they also have to bolster their entire youth setups as well, as well as budgeting repayments.

Ipswich were touted as favourites this season, biggest budget, biggest spenders. When you have 20 players to recruit and gel together it's often too much too soon. I think they will see playoffs as a welcome success, and midtable a more realistic expectation, certainly not a failure. This also with a manager with very little experience all together, 0 experience of League One, compared to Ipswich who went for Paul Cook who has endless League One experience.

Derby's size will attract some very good League One players, much like Ipswich did, but that means little with a titanic rebuilding job at hand.

As I said earlier though, that's not how football works. Not only do they have an entire first team squad to sign, they also have to bolster their entire youth setups as well, as well as budgeting repayments.

Ipswich were touted as favourites this season, biggest budget, biggest spenders. When you have 20 players to recruit and gel together it's often too much too soon. I think they will see playoffs as a welcome success, and midtable a more realistic expectation, certainly not a failure. This also with a manager with very little experience all together, 0 experience of League One, compared to Ipswich who went for Paul Cook who has endless League One experience.

Derby's size will attract some very good League One players, much like Ipswich did, but that means little with a titanic rebuilding job at hand.
I know which is why my last line was referring to it in budgetary terms as the majority of the prior conversation had been about Team X have budget position Y in L1.
What the budget should deliver and what is does deliver is purely down to the on pitch performance and as I said no idea how that will go.

My point was purely on what size their budget will be rather than if it will deliver success.

Just whilst typing, Kieran Maguire has released his summary of Sunderland's 2021 accounts. Just highlights the different ballparks within the division.

I know which is why my last line was referring to it in budgetary terms as the majority of the prior conversation had been about Team X have budget position Y in L1.
What the budget should deliver and what is does deliver is purely down to the on pitch performance and as I said no idea how that will go.

My point was purely on what size their budget will be rather than if it will deliver success.

Just whilst typing, Kieran Maguire has released his summary of Sunderland's 2021 accounts. Just highlights the different ballparks within the division.

Blimey, they better go up!! What's our squad wage bill, is it about 5 or 6 mill?

I maybe wrong here but wages are outweighing income? If so surely that’s breach of FFP rules

I maybe wrong here but wages are outweighing income? If so surely that’s breach of FFP rules
On the face of it yes but there will be Covid mitigations that Sunderland could put forward especially given the size of their crowds. Given they can expect revenue of c.£500,000-£700,000 per home match, they would have a case if this had disappeared for the period in question due to an unforeseen pandemic.

Wages £125 for every £100 of income.
Losses £224k a week.
Squad at end of season still costs more than £17m.

Highest paid director pay up £80k

Go Chaz!!!! Milk that baby......... :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

I guess this is also a reason why the board want promotion before the stadium, extra TV money, sponsorship, crowds (even at the kassam) will offset how much we lose compared to now. It would also put us in a stronger position as a championship club with regard to developing Stratfield Brake or another site if all the councilors against find us an alternative site. No one will want to lose a championship club and all the money in generates to the local economy.
Correct me if I'm wrong but I have heard of some people in the Kidlington area who would not shed a tear.

Blimey, they better go up!! What's our squad wage bill, is it about 5 or 6 mill?

Being in the Championship won't save Sunderland. Yes it'll mean ~6 mill of additional TV/solidarity income.
But their current squad would almost certainly come straight back down again - so they would have to bring in more players to help them compete, eating into most if not all of that additional revenue.

The only thing that'll save these basket case clubs that operate with wages at 125+% of income (and Reading are the worst) is promotion to the Premier League. Till then, they're just going to pile up the debt. Until one day the tap gets turned off and then they do a Bolton.

(which is also why I don't want us going down that path, and racking up a wage bill that's way beyond our means)

Correct me if I'm wrong but I have heard of some people in the Kidlington area who would not shed a tear.

Maybe a handful.of people would take that stance but thats only because they dont want a new stadium built in their neighbourhood. Anyone with a braincell can see the benefits of having a professional football club in Oxfordshire with regards to what money is generated to the local economy, support to the grassroots game, fundraising for charities and most importantly the excitement of watching live professional football in this county.

Surely all this above needs to be taken into consideration when making a decision, I respect that some people wish for Stratfield Brake to remain untouched but the whole site is making a loss and costing tax payers money to keep as it is, what oufc are trying to do is to enhance the land currently used so it can be more widely used by everyone including the existing tenants who will get better facilities , which they can use all year round with no extra cost to them.

What is the alternative?

Maybe a handful.of people would take that stance but thats only because they dont want a new stadium built in their neighbourhood. Anyone with a braincell can see the benefits of having a professional football club in Oxfordshire with regards to what money is generated to the local economy, support to the grassroots game, fundraising for charities and most importantly the excitement of watching live professional football in this county.

Surely all this above needs to be taken into consideration when making a decision, I respect that some people wish for Stratfield Brake to remain untouched but the whole site is making a loss and costing tax payers money to keep as it is, what oufc are trying to do is to enhance the land currently used so it can be more widely used by everyone including the existing tenants who will get better facilities , which they can use all year round with no extra cost to them.

What is the alternative?
Sorry but it was ment as a joke. May have been too subtle.

Sorry but it was ment as a joke. May have been too subtle.

I missed the joke part and I can see the sarcastic side now. But my reply still stands to anyone thinking or implying we don't need to move and the consequences of not moving.

Oh I know we must move. I just hope it happens quickly as I'm not getting any younger.

Back
Top Bottom