Weight Loss Support Thread

Fell out of love with PR after some rather "terse" comms as the various lockdowns came to an end.

The lack of understanding shown by HQ for how things had impacted many people differently done it for me.

We got an email basically saying "If an event is able to go ahead we expect people to volunteer to make it happen".

Think they lost about 60% of the core team and 2 of the local ambassadors with that.

However life goes on, the local event still happens its just lost the camaraderie that was there and is now very reliant on running club "takeovers", which in turn makes it more like a timed race.

Still go out for a plod around the local streets and walks in the `Shire with Mrs EY(Mk2), weight remains "constant" creeps up in Winter, reduces in Summer!!
We didn’t have anything like that, but the demographic changed a lot after covid with far fewer casuals and walkers. That’s recovering finally now, partly because the sponsors Medibank have been advertising heavily. It was our 200th today and someone brought cake, so the camaraderie’s definitely there! The bloke captured the vibe pretty well in that video.

Still go out for a plod around the local streets and walks in the `Shire with Mrs EY(Mk2)
The good thing is you are still doing it. Do you track your runs? That is the best motivator, if you can see your progress it helps to get you out there the next time. I have a database of all my runs going back to 2014, if I'm falling behind my average it shows me in no uncertain terms 😁

Marathon on Monday, despite having a foot injury... I must be bloody mad 🤣

The good thing is you are still doing it. Do you track your runs? That is the best motivator, if you can see your progress it helps to get you out there the next time. I have a database of all my runs going back to 2014, if I'm falling behind my average it shows me in no uncertain terms 😁

Marathon on Monday, despite having a foot injury... I must be bloody mad 🤣

Yep still track them with my el cheapo "MiBand", its still working and the software remains compatible - got value for that £19.99. :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

Not looking for progress, just consistency over the various routes, try and mix it up with flat & hills.

We done our Marathon a few years back on the Thames Path Mighty Hike - we walked it fairly briskly, its a long way but its another life box ticked.

Feck running that far! Good luck!!

I REALLY need to get back into running.

But having a 4 month old makes it difficult.

Just did my third half marathon. I’m making progress:
2021: 2:20.05
2022: 2:17.50
2023: 2:17.05
At this rate by the time I’m 75 I should have cracked 2 hours.
Great work well done 👏 2:15 next year 😁

Clearly weight loss attempts are about more than just exercise, but healthy eating and lifestyle too.

I can really recommend the Keto Diet where I’ve cut out carbs because the human body will burn off fat quicker if there are less carbs to go through first. Doesn’t work for everyone but on days when I’m exercising if I eat fewer carbs and avoid alcoholic and sugary drinks, the weight falls off me.

• React
Reactions: m
Clearly weight loss attempts are about more than just exercise, but healthy eating and lifestyle too.

I can really recommend the Keto Diet where I’ve cut out carbs because the human body will burn off fat quicker if there are less carbs to go through first. Doesn’t work for everyone but on days when I’m exercising if I eat fewer carbs and avoid alcoholic and sugary drinks, the weight falls off me.
I stopped drinking and lost 10 kg

I REALLY need to get back into running.

But having a 4 month old makes it difficult.
Did you get back into it? I've always struggled with sticking to a routine but last new year I set a rule that I would do a simple 5k, untimed, every Sunday morning and I've managed to keep it going ever since.

Every now and again I'll mix in a 10k and in the summer might do a short weekday evening run too.

For me, setting a goal which is not overly ambitious has worked and although I'm not losing weight it is keeping me trim and my cardio is much better.

swimming helps - started swimming twice a week about 8 weeks ago, initially struggled to swim 10 lengths

a bit of persistence got up to 30 lenths per session

earlier today did 36 lengths

shed/ exercised off nearly half a stone over the 8 weeks or so

eating (mainly) healthily probably helps too, less or no dairy , and as little processed food or even better no processed food too,

drink plenty ( 2-3l ) water a day

( I cut out sugar in tea n coffee 35 years ago)

BP lowered, which was the aim- the slight weight loss is a bonus

Did you get back into it? I've always struggled with sticking to a routine but last new year I set a rule that I would do a simple 5k, untimed, every Sunday morning and I've managed to keep it going ever since.

Every now and again I'll mix in a 10k and in the summer might do a short weekday evening run too.

For me, setting a goal which is not overly ambitious has worked and although I'm not losing weight it is keeping me trim and my cardio is much better.
Parkrun works for me every Saturday. If I’m feeling under the weather I can walk it or volunteer

My missus has lost a load of weight on weight watchers, I realise its a bit poncey but if you follow the plan (you get a certain amount of points a day depending on your size, you have an app on your phone that lets you scan your food to work it out, weigh and measure certain foods as well) it does seem to work. The only way you lose weight is by being in calorific deficit, the only way you keep it off is by not going into calorie surplus to often, its not rocket science.

Personally I just used my missus app to see what alcoholic drink is most fattening, its Kopperburg mixed fruits, you can drink about 4 pints of lager or have a roast dinner instead of one of them buggers.

I have now, after my Myocarditis, my weight exploded.

A few months ago I joined Slimming World and since that gym, I do the gym for around 30 mins, 3 times a week at lunch.

Getting there!

Parkrun works for me every Saturday. If I’m feeling under the weather I can walk it or volunteer
Parkrun is awesome, there is one a 5min walk from my front door. Never done it myself, but it is good to see the amount of people it gets out there every week putting in the miles. For anyone looking to try to get into running, I'd suggest first using the couch to 5K app, and then when you can do 5K get involved with your local Parkrun to keep you interested. And log all of your miles (or get Strava on your phone), it really helps with motivation if you can give yourself little goals to achieve.

Parkrun is awesome, there is one a 5min walk from my front door. Never done it myself, but it is good to see the amount of people it gets out there every week putting in the miles. For anyone looking to try to get into running, I'd suggest first using the couch to 5K app, and then when you can do 5K get involved with your local Parkrun to keep you interested. And log all of your miles (or get Strava on your phone), it really helps with motivation if you can give yourself little goals to achieve.
I'll vouch for that as a regular Parkrunner - our local run, in Bushey Park, was the very first location and on a busy day you can have up to 1,300+ runners, including lots of tourists. It does tend to mean that the first 1km is largely about trying to stay on your feet as much as finding your pace! Great for a jog but if I'm trying to go a little faster I pick one of the smaller local runs.

It's also a great motivator and social thing while away on holiday or business - I've joined runs in Australia, South Africa, Croatia, Denmark and Germany.

Back
Top Bottom