General What is the worst town in England?

Surely the message is completely redundant though? Taking 'illegal drugs' is.... erm... illegal? I can't believe a note attached to a door would make someone who was about to take some drugs think 'Oh, OK, I can't do that in here'...
or the reverse, someone thinking "well there wasn't a sign saying I couldn't do a line in the gents, so thought it was OK".

That pub near Gillingham station used to have a sign on the wall saying "only drinks purchased on these premises can be consumed here", as if people would expect to be allowed to bring in their own booze to a pub. [Though I have seen it quite regularly, people watching sky football buying one drink and then topping up from a hidden bottle. Also at a riverside pub near me which serves food, people thinking it was acceptable to buy a takeaway pizza and eat it outside on the pub's terrace in the sunshine].

Surely the message is completely redundant though? Taking 'illegal drugs' is.... erm... illegal? I can't believe a note attached to a door would make someone who was about to take some drugs think 'Oh, OK, I can't do that in here'...
I think some signs are along the lines of "we always prosecute" or something like that. I think some pubs are forced to do it due to complaints about all the drug taking. In those "city boy" pubs cocaine use is absolutely rife.

London has escaped this thread due to the fact it's a big city and not really a crap town. But parts of London are unbelievably crap. Shout out Uxbridge, Croydon, Dagenham, Edgware, Enfield, Barnet, Swanley, Erith, Dartford, Orpington, Sidcup, hell basically the entire of suburban SE London.

I think some signs are along the lines of "we always prosecute" or something like that. I think some pubs are forced to do it due to complaints about all the drug taking. In those "city boy" pubs cocaine use is absolutely rife.

London has escaped this thread due to the fact it's a big city and not really a crap town. But parts of London are unbelievably crap. Shout out Uxbridge, Croydon, Dagenham, Edgware, Enfield, Barnet, Swanley, Erith, Dartford, Orpington, Sidcup, hell basically the entire of suburban SE London.
Sidcup is ok - bit dull but a few decent craft ale places

I went on the lash in Dudley once, was a good evening. The absolute highlight was stumbling into a very small front-room style pub.

Got chatting to the landlord who quickly ascertained that I was not local. When I told him I was from Oxford he beamed and said "you'll not have seen these then!". He then produced a bag of pork scratchings.

"Go on! Try them!". So I did. They were pork scratchings. He was very excited to know what I thought so I told him they were delicious. (Which they were)

To this day I've never really made sense of that episode.
Yeah they are bostin lol

Deliberately left Dudley out as although its gone very downmarket from its days as a thriving small town, there are still good places to go - worked there for a number of years too so probably bit biased

Stourbridge has gone from being a nice town nearby to a derelict shitehole - Lye would also be shite but is rescued by the great curry houses there

Barnet?! Nothing wrong with Barnet.

Until you have been to New Cross you can't comment on the shitness of anywhere in London BTW.

I went to Southampton yesterday, the city centre is a right shithole.

Worst town and area i have ever seen is in Scotland. Kilmarnock its the pits!

A
I saw the stiff tour there, mink de ville,Johnny Kidd and the pirates!
Ah, Aylesbury.
In my 'other job' I have been known to play the occasional guitar gig at The Victoria Club, Kingsbury, Aylesbury.
It's right in the centre of town, a bit tricky to get to and there's nowhere nearby to park the luxury rock n roll tour bus!
It's a real old fashioned social club with a bit of a 70s vibe.
I've been going there regularly for at least ten years and I've noticed that everybody seems to sit in the same seats!
(a bit like the South Stand!)

A

Ah, Aylesbury.
In my 'other job' I have been known to play the occasional guitar gig at The Victoria Club, Kingsbury, Aylesbury.
It's right in the centre of town, a bit tricky to get to and there's nowhere nearby to park the luxury rock n roll tour bus!
It's a real old fashioned social club with a bit of a 70s vibe.
I've been going there regularly for at least ten years and I've noticed that everybody seems to sit in the same seats!
(a bit like the South Stand!
Used to pick up my evening paper round papers from The Victoria Club some 50 years ago!
Average age of punters then was absolutely OAP, has it improved somewhat?

Back
Top Bottom