National News Who next

Intellect and pragmatism don`t seem to count for much anymore though!

Less and less every year, on both sides of the Atlantic, it would seem.
Politicians seem to get more and more polarized, and consequently less and less effective every year.

Now it's all about how loud can you shout/tweet and virtue signal your progressive/conservative credentials to energize your core supporters. Drives me nuts to the point where I've basically given up - there's barely a single politician on either side of the aisle, in the US or in the UK, that I admire any more.

I wasn't a fan of the coalition government at the time.

b****r me with a bargepole if they don't look fantastic now though.

Politicians seem to get more and more polarized, and consequently less and less effective every year.

Now it's all about how loud can you shout/tweet and virtue signal your progressive/conservative credentials to energize your core supporters. Drives me nuts to the point where I've basically given up - there's barely a single politician on either side of the aisle, in the US or in the UK, that I admire any more.
From an Aussie perspective I think PR does help with this. We still have partisan political polarisation in the two main parties, but the influence of the cross-benchers is usually a positive one on debate, and they tend to draw debate towards ideas and good policy.
Put differently, if we didn’t have PR I hate to think how polarised it would be because the ingredients for division are all strong at the moment.

Well, there are attempts to launch a new 3rd party in US

Both potential leaders tell you the war in Ukraine is the reason energy prices are so high. Shell's quarterly profits of £10 billion would suggest greedy capitalism is actually at the heart of it.

On A, no argument.

But on B, I thought the Tory - Lib Dem coalition worked together just fine.

Of course, then they had a number of smart, pragmatic individuals on both sides who recognized the need to compromise and bring forward mutually agreeable legislation.
But that didn't stop the lib Dems being royally stitched up by all sides in the aftermath did it?

Still hasn't fully recovered and will mean plenty will be reluctant to go into partnership like that again any time soon

Both potential leaders tell you the war in Ukraine is the reason energy prices are so high. Shell's quarterly profits of £10 billion would suggest greedy capitalism is actually at the heart of it.

Better check where your pension might be invested you filthy capitalist. :ROFLMAO:

Global markets & supply/demand dictate price - use less, pay less easy really.

Just checked the Smart Meter - gas & electric usage so far this week, £6.59 which is less than 50% of the budget.

I really do not understand where these "£3,850.00 fuel bills" scare stories are coming from.

It was, however, noticeable that filling the gas guzzling 4x4 is now nearer £70 than £55.

Better check where your pension might be invested you filthy capitalist. :ROFLMAO:

Just checked the Smart Meter - gas & electric usage so far this week, £6.59 which is less than 50% of the budget.

I really do not understand where these "£3,850.00 fuel bills" scare stories are coming from.

It was, however, noticeable that filling the gas guzzling 4x4 is now nearer £70 than £55.
Pension funds are so diversified between and within funds I doubt this particular dividend is going to affect the value of a fund significantly. However not taking advantage of a war to hike prices would make the difference between heating and eating for millions this winter.

Yes, because it's been so fkg cold this week hasn't it. 🤦‍♂️

Just as an aside, interesting that the only two Filling Stations here today in Maldon (Morrisons and Tesco) are both £1.89 for Unleaded. Whilst just a few miles away in Chelmsford
1.75 per litre in Sainsbury and Asda.

Didn't we already do this? For current super schemes it is usually simple to change the investment strategy, and in recent years balanced sustainable investments have typically done as well or better than balanced unrestricted.
No reason to taint your capitalism with blood money or black gold.

Pension funds are so diversified between and within funds I doubt this particular dividend is going to affect the value of a fund significantly. However not taking advantage of a war to hike prices would make the difference between heating and eating for millions this winter.

Yes, because it's been so fkg cold this week hasn't it. 🤦‍♂️

Prices have increased globally - the same markets where Shell et al buy and sell their stock.
There is no sentiment in business when it comes to profit. 🤷‍♀️

As for your "so cold" froth.............
We pay the same per month in Summer as in Winter.
We build up credit, by using less fuel in Spring, Summer & Autumn, so when Winter arrives it balances out.
Doesn`t everyone do the same?
Used to be called living within your means.

But that didn't stop the lib Dems being royally stitched up by all sides in the aftermath did it?

Still hasn't fully recovered and will mean plenty will be reluctant to go into partnership like that again any time soon

Very true.

This was partly thanks to Cameron & co. playing a blinder in managing to take all the credit for the coalition's good ideas whilst making sure the Lib Dems took the blame for anything that didn't fit their manifesto. Partly thanks to Clegg & co. being politically naive and too damn honest for their own good.

And frankly partly thanks to the majority of the media helping peddle Cameron's story, and the former Lib Dem voters themselves for falling for it.

It's the main reason why I've just about given up hope - in almost every election these days, voters seem to reward wild promises and empty rhetoric, and punish pragmatism and honesty.

Well, there are attempts to launch a new 3rd party in US

Yeah, you never know. It's been tried before, but maybe this time there's enough anger and disillusionment with the two main parties that they have a shot to build something.

I'll certainly listen to what they have to say, and if they make sense, they've got a strong chance of winning my vote.
I do quite like Andrew Yang - bit of a headcase, but definitely ticks the smart and pragmatic boxes.

Prices have increased globally - the same markets where Shell et al buy and sell their stock.
There is no sentiment in business when it comes to profit. 🤷‍♀️

As for your "so cold" froth.............
We pay the same per month in Summer as in Winter.
We build up credit, by using less fuel in Spring, Summer & Autumn, so when Winter arrives it balances out.
Doesn`t everyone do the same?
Used to be called living within your means.
I genuinely don't know of you feign ignorance or if you truly are.

We all know what they are doing ffs. They've made their money by extracting the stuff at little extra cost but selling it on at a massive premium. I was pointing out how gready capitalism is failing so many people.

I suppose everyone is on affordable DDs in your blinkered Tory world. It's people on prepaid meters who live hand to mouth who will suffer the most. Out of sight out of mind eh.

I genuinely don't know of you feign ignorance or if you truly are.

We all know what they are doing ffs. They've made their money by extracting the stuff at little extra cost but selling it on at a massive premium. I was pointing out how gready capitalism is failing so many people.

I suppose everyone is on affordable DDs in your blinkered Tory world. It's people on prepaid meters who live hand to mouth who will suffer the most. Out of sight out of mind eh.
28 million households in the UK.
4 million households on prepaid meters.
People are on prepaid for a reason - they can`t/won`t budget (the reasons behind that are myriad).

Timely reminder that we live in a deprived postcode..... these blocks are less than 1/2 mile away so lived experience doesn`t make it "out of sight".
1659032811454.png

Maybe take a look at Shells' profit/loss over time, you`ll be less frothy for it.

Back
Top Bottom