Away Match Build Up 08/05/2024: L1 Play-Off SF 2nd Leg - Peterborough vs OUFC

Who Will Be Going To Wembley?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Am I the only one that didn't know Peterborough's stadium had a capacity of over 15,300?? Always assumed it was less

I thought you're meant to give away teams at least 10% of the capacity?

They will not be as cagey as they were on Saturday. They will be more open, itā€™s in their nature to play that way at home and the home fans wonā€™t accept it if they sit back and play the percentages. It could go either way, they will leave more space than they did at our place, we will need to be brave and good in transition but no reason why we canā€™t do it, they have conceded goals against poorer sides than us lately after all.

I think we will get chances to hit them on the break and go through, but I donā€™t think we will get enough to be wasteful.

40 years ago today, we won 2-1 at Leyton Orient to secure promotion to tier 2.

More of the same tomorrow please.
Not quite, we were promoted before the game started because of other results from what I remember. But what a game and party atmosphere it was that day. Oxford had half the ground.

The biggest concern I have is the latter stages of the game, they have a bench with some great options whereas nearly all of our bench players make us significantly weaker. It's a concern and big headache for Des because do you set up for the first 60 mins of the match, or be conservative with the possibility of needing to play 120 minutes? It'd be so nice to be able to rely on the pace of Dale and Goodrham coming off the bench but also that's to the detriment of our high pressing game, assuming Bodin/Browne would come in.

I've said this at length on the Goodwin thread.....but I think our best bet tomorrow is to go out and try and win the tie in the first 60-70 minutes, or at the very least keep our noses in front. Most likely with the same XI. If we're ahead at that point, we do have players we can bring on to kill the game (for all that I've complained about him recently, McGuane is a great option to bring on if you're winning to get on the ball, keep possession and draw fouls. JM, Bodin, Browne, Leigh & even Henry can all do the same)

We don't have the same depth of attacking talent that Posh do, so trying to keep some of it in reserve from the start to hedge in case we do need to go 120 minutes or, worse, come from behind is, for me, asking for trouble.

Go out, play the attacking, aggressive football that has served us so well since Bolton. In an ideal world, we put the tie to bed. In the next best world, we at least maintain our lead through the hour and then hang on for grim death. If it all goes to hell, well at least we backed ourselves.

Not quite, we were promoted before the game started because of other results from what I remember. But what a game and party atmosphere it was that day. Oxford had half the ground.

Ah yes, most glorious - the White Horse DVC in full fancy dress, several pitch incursions.............. it was messy!

Followed by similar scenes at Charlton a year later if memory serves...

Just taken a quick look there really struggling to get rid of tickets for this how bizarre!! Thereā€™s thousands left. Wonder how many oxford will be in the home end for this? šŸ˜‚

You had to be registered by the 26th April IIRC...

Ah yes, most glorious - the White Horse DVC in full fancy dress, several pitch incursions.............. it was messy!

Followed by similar scenes at Charlton a year later if memory serves...
Yeah I was at that one as well, think we were up already and if we had won it would have secured the title?

Great days.

Alright folks? How's your nerves? Better than mine I hope.

Posh fan here. I thought the first leg was a tense affair and 1-0 to you was a fair result. You were the better team for most of it, we didn't really get going until the last 20-30 minutes, and even then didn't create much. Slightly surprised you didn't go for a second. Anyway, I enjoyed the trip, chatted to some Oxford fans in the pub who were a great bunch, and the result leaves it nicely balanced.

As for tomorrow, god only knows. Two good teams and it should be a fantastic night. For one of us, anyway! You obviously have the pace to hurt us on the counter, you will get chances as we have to attack, but we always back ourselves to score.

Murphy vs Katongo should be an interesting battle. Obviously Murphy minced him in the 5-0 game but I thought Katongo dealt with Murphy fairly well the other night.

We have a young team, the youngest in the league, I guess my worry is that they freeze under this sort of pressure. But they've played some fantastic football this season and are a likeable bunch, as are your lot. It'll be harsh on whoever loses as we've both had such good seasons. I only disliked you when Karl Robinson was your manager. I wish he still was, as he has previous for bottling it against us in the playoffs.

In answer to someone above, no, there won't be tickets available on the gate, there's only 40 or so left now. Don't know why it's taking us so long, disappointed really, but it will be a sell out. Should be a fantastic atmosphere, as it was the other night. Safe trip to those of you who are coming.

I wonder if anyone there that day was inspired by that decision regarding the away fans?

Watched a team in Yellow defending a 1 nil first leg lead tonight, snatched another 1 nil win, defended like demons, the blue team hit the post/bar 4 times.
That's the way to do it Dortmund, Oxford to do the same tomorrow šŸ¤ž

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom