Away Match Build Up 09/12/2023 L1 : Peterborough United v OUFC

Status
Not open for further replies.
So was I.

Best league position at this stage for 25 years, at tier 3 and we are 600 sold in advance on the Weds before.

Must be the cold, acoustics, Kassam or something else putting people off*

*before everyone goes in, we’ve managed Derby away with 1,500 on a Tuesday, Reading 3,000 on a Tuesday, 1,400 at Orient etc etc…

‘Christmas’…hang on, aren’t we already sold out for Northampton? Which is about 40/50 miles from Posh and TWO days from Christmas.

600 is P**s poor and not a single being on this forum will convince me otherwise.

You do know that supporting Oxford United isn’t a cult?

Have you ever considered that other people might just have a bit more going on in their lives than following a league one football club everywhere? It’s not compulsory and it’s only a game, think you might take it just a bit to seriously.

So was I.

Best league position at this stage for 25 years, at tier 3 and we are 600 sold in advance on the Weds before.

Must be the cold, acoustics, Kassam or something else putting people off*

*before everyone goes in, we’ve managed Derby away with 1,500 on a Tuesday, Reading 3,000 on a Tuesday, 1,400 at Orient etc etc…

‘Christmas’…hang on, aren’t we already sold out for Northampton? Which is about 40/50 miles from Posh and TWO days from Christmas.

600 is P**s poor and not a single being on this forum will convince me otherwise.
I know you asked the lad in the ticket office, and I know he should know, but it wouldn't be the first time someone had asked the ticket office how many we'd sold and we ended up with loads more being there than they'd said.

I simply cannot believe that so few are going to this game, he must have made a mistake? 150 fans went to the depths of Gloucestershire last night, in a competition nobody gives a s**t about. As you say, 1,500 people have already bought tickets to Northampton (one of the crappest days out in football) less than a week after they went on sale, for a game TWO days before Christmas Day.

It makes absolutely no sense, and I'm sure it's a mistake. I suppose we'll find out on Saturday.

You do know that supporting Oxford United isn’t a cult?

Have you ever considered that other people might just have a bit more going on in their lives than following a league one football club everywhere? It’s not compulsory and it’s only a game, think you might take it just a bit to seriously.

More in their lives than travelling across London during a rail strike, more than travelling to Derbyshire in August, more than travelling to the tune of 3,000 to Reading where we’ll be herded like cattle?? No…didn’t think so.

You’re right, it’s not compulsory and it is ‘just a game’. I’ll be sure to remind members of this forum in May if we don’t achieve what the playing budget and Boards ambition was predetermined as.

Away at a ground 80 miles away, while 3rd in the league?

I’m not sure. You?
Went to Peterborough away the covid season. Lost 5 nil, its a crap journey, the away section was shocking, worst seats and toilets I've ever seen in the efl and cost about 28 quid. Vowed I would never return regardless of the game. Even emailed them to complain.

What do you think is putting people off?
Just a couple of weeks before Christmas (shopping etc), not the best seats for viewing the game, and we don’t tend to do well there over recent years.

REF WATCH

Newport , Isle of Wight, based official James Linington is the man in the middle at London Road on Saturday.

Experienced Select Group 2 (Championship) Linington has been refereeing in the EFL since 2008.

His first Oxford United match was a home Conference Premier 1-1 draw with Halifax in September 2007.
He last took charge of the U’s in a 2-0 home League Cup win over Coventry in August 2018.This season he has officiated
in eleven Championship matches issuing 52 yellow cards and sending off Stoke defender Enda Stevens at QPR on November 28th.

In September 2015 at the Memorial Ground, Bristol, Linington dismissed Rovers midfielder Ollie Clarke in a 0-1 home loss to the U’s (Roofe).

CON-P70WEAA_UD1

More in their lives than travelling across London during a rail strike, more than travelling to Derbyshire in August, more than travelling to the tune of 3,000 to Reading where we’ll be herded like cattle?? No…didn’t think so.

You’re right, it’s not compulsory and it is ‘just a game’. I’ll be sure to remind members of this forum in May if we don’t achieve what the playing budget and Boards ambition was predetermined as.

Everyone has a limit and a budget to how many games they can go to, maybe Leyton Orient, Cheltenham, Reading, Northampton away plus the home games and Xmas is all people can afford? Maybe that’s all the time of work, family commitments etc they could spare? Should they put their marriages on the line to travel to Peterborough? Jobs? People know when and where the line is for them before following a football club causes them problems, you can sneer all you like as a super fan but you, me or anyone else can have no idea about everyone else’s finances or personal situation, it’s there choice to make so to keep sneering at the decisions made by people about their own lives is getting a bit much, just get yourself to a game if you can and leave it to others to do what they can.

You’re coming across as the Fred Sirieix of this forum.
There is no right or wrong here and there‘s so much more to consider in people’s lives than whether they can be ‘bothered’ or not.
Que sera sera.

You’re coming across as the Fred Sirieix of this forum.
There is no right or wrong here and there‘s so much more to consider in people’s lives than whether they can be ‘bothered’ or not.
Que sera sera.

Who's Fred Sirieix? Is he good looking too?

As an aside, a few posters have mentioned the awful seats at Peterborough. They're no different to those at Leyton Orient, and that didn't put people off, so I'm not sure it's that valid.

Anyhow, we are not in those seats on Saturday. For the first time ever they've given us the new stand behind the goal, which I don't think has been all that well communicated by the club.

We took around 850 to Peterborough in April and pretty much the same in February 2020 (the last time I went). We should take similar numbers as it's pay on the day and we're on around 670 sold as of today.

So the outlier isn't this game, it's selling out Leyton Orient to season ticket holders, selling out Northampton well in advance and (the one I was most surprised about) Stevenage.

Incidentally our match report says we took 1,042 to Derby, not 1500.

Went to Peterborough away the covid season. Lost 5 nil, its a crap journey, the away section was shocking, worst seats and toilets I've ever seen in the efl and cost about 28 quid. Vowed I would never return regardless of the game. Even emailed them to complain.
Good job we're behind the goal for £25 this time then!

(£27 on the day)

Does anyone know if a two caution red card, sees both, one or neither of those cautions added to your league yellow card tally for the season?

The 1match ban for 5 yellows in the league cut-off ends after Saturday's game.
Rodrigues either has 2, 3 or 4 yellows for his league tally depending on the rule surrounding his red card.

Brannagan is on 4, so if he gets booked on Saturday, he is suspended for Reading.

Everyone else is clear.

IMG_1310.jpeg

For me, Harris has only looked any good when he’s received the ball in wide areas, and got good crosses in, particularly when he kept receiving the ball on the right against Bolton in the first half, so I’d like to see him moved out to the right, and see what he can produce.

Murphy has to start. He simply has to. He’s playing very well, full of confidence and enthusiasm, and deserves to start.

Smyth did very well at RB on Tuesday, and in my opinion looked much better than Stevens ever has at any point, so give him another go.

Like the look of Bennett, seems very accomplished at LB, but I doubt he’s ready to be starting again so soon after Tuesday, so ease him in. Give him half hour in the 2nd half.

Would take a point right now, but hope we go for the throat and bring back all three!

COYY

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom