World Cup 10/12/22: Quarter Finals: England v France

Who will win?

• England

Votes: 16 64.0%
  • France

Votes: 9 36.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
England will have to start faster against France than they did against Senegal (although the French have also looked a bit sluggish in the first half). I do worry that England don't really have the defensive quality to keep the French out, so it might be a case of 'score more goals than you'! Probably a bridge to far for the current English setup, but we have enough quality strikers and attacking midfielders to give some hope for the future. We just need to find some defenders who will be of the required standard in 4 years time.

I think England's defence doesn't get the credit it deserves. I know Harry Maguire has his detractors, but together with John Stones, the two of them have formed a formidable partnership. His performances for Man Utd don't concern me, it's what he does in an England shirt that matters.

England have 3 clean sheets out of 4, the only game they conceded in was against Iran, when the game was effectively already won, and they took their foot off the gas.

France on the other hand, have not kept a single clean sheet all tournament.

I do actually think we can nick this. The two speedsters Walker vs Mbappe could be interesting.

I think England's defence doesn't get the credit it deserves. I know Harry Maguire has his detractors, but together with John Stones, the two of them have formed a formidable partnership. His performances for Man Utd don't concern me, it's what he does in an England shirt that matters.

England have 3 clean sheets out of 4, the only game they conceded in was against Iran, when the game was effectively already won, and they took their foot off the gas.

I do actually think we can nick this. The two speedsters Walker vs Mbappe could be interesting.
It's not just his speed though, it's his balance and ability to change direction. Walker is quick, but for what it's worth, I think Mbappe is a yard quicker.

As for someone else saying they have the stronger keeper, I'm not so sure. I know it sounds odd for a man with a World Cup and Euro winners medal, as well as 140 caps, but I always feel he has a real mistake in him. Watching Pickford's distribution you realise how far Eastwood and McGinty have to go!

You don’t think Brazil would be a challenge? They look decent to me, especially if Neymar is back fit and firing
I think Brazil are probably the strongest team in that side of the draw. And yes a fully fit Neymar is going to be a huge obstacle for any opposition. But I don’t think they’re as strong as Brazil sides of the past. Particularly ‘94, ‘98 and ‘02.

If we beat France we will win the tournament we need to find a way to stop mbappe... I said on another thread I think it will be England Vs Brazil in the final and I'm sticking to that

The obvious thing that our CB duo lack is pace (there was one moment early on against Senegal when their striker almost got past them despite starting five yards behind!) - but actually that's not going to be so much of a problem against France, because they can both keep up with Giroud OK.

The match will be won and lost down the flanks - can a 32 year-old Kyle Walker still keep up with Mbappe (I know he was the fastest player in the Premier League two or three years ago....is he still?)? And can Shaw manage Dembele down the other side?

If they can, then I think our central midfield can get on top of theirs, and we'll create chances.......

It's all set up to be a corker, anyhow. Apparently (and remarkably) the first time that England and France have ever met in a knockout game at a major tournament.

This game has the potential to be the game of the tournament, with brilliant attacks and sometimes iffy defences on both sides - which means it'll probably be a cagey 0-0 that gets decided on penalties. Whoever wins this game probably becomes favourites to meet Brazil in the final (although Spain look great this year too). Stop Mbappe and that can be us.

Not sure I agree with this - they were brilliant against a terrible Costa Rica side. But then probably should have lost to Germany when they got overrun in the latter stages and did lose to Japan, when they passed and passed and passed and never got anywhere.

I actually think that Morocco have a chance against them tomorrow; and if not then I rather fancy Portugal to beat them (assuming they get past the Swiss). I don't love saying it, but I think the Portuguese are the decent team that's flying under the radar this year. Ronaldo gets all the headlines, but he's distracting from what is actually a really good team behind him. The South Korea loss (just like Brazil's loss to Cameroon) was all about resting all their top players. They pummelled both Ghana and Uruguay before that.

Last edited:
when they passed and passed and passed and never got anywhere
An England v Spain semi-final would be a thing of beauty wouldn't it. What's the record for passes completed in a single game?

Not sure I agree with this - they were brilliant against a terrible Costa Rica side. But then probably should have lost to Germany when they got overrun in the latter stages and did lose to Japan, when they passed and passed and passed and never got anywhere.

I actually think that Morocco have a chance against them today; and if not then I rather fancy Portugal to beat them (assuming they get past the Swiss). I don't love saying it, but I think the Portuguese are the decent team that's flying under the radar this year. Ronaldo gets all the headlines, but he's distracting from what is actually a really good team behind him. The South Korea loss (just like Brazil's loss to Cameroon) was all about resting all their top players. They pummelled both Ghana and Uruguay before that.
I did miss the Japan game admittedly - although they're currently showing against Croatia that they aren't a bad side by any means either!

I did miss the Japan game admittedly - although they're currently showing against Croatia that they aren't a bad side by any means either!
Timed that well - two minutes after posting Croatia equalised!

I'd like to apologise to the entire nation of Japan for cursing you this evening.

Your pens were absolute shite, mind.

They just showed the 98 loss to Argentina and I made the mistake of watching it. Now I feel sick and it’s still 6 hours til the game.

Back
Top Bottom