Home Match Day Thread 12/02/2022 L1: OUFC v Bolton Wanderers

Yep I agree, my point is that it all seems a bit rushed and panicy at the end. No offence to either of them but I struggle to believe we have to be patient and wait until the last hours of the window to sign the likes of Brown and Smyth. Or even Baldock for that matter. Why not get them in earlier? The sooner the better I wouldve thought? Looking in from the outside It all just feels like theres a lack of coherence or planning which surely cant be the case?
Yes fair enough, I do think our recruitment of younger players to develop is near enough spot on but there is an issue with recruiting players who we need to perform now.

You cannot concede the number of goals that we do and expect to get promoted.

17 goals leaked in 9 games
12 point from a possible 27

Our inability to defend properly is seriously hindering our progress. People suggesting that we should adapt our playing style to keep clean sheets need to wake up. The squad that has been built, does not have the players within it to adapt! We have ‘ball players’ not blockers.

I’m all for expansive football but just look at the players available. We are incredibly one dimensional when we haven’t got the ball and it WILL cost us promotion this season.

All the clap trap about exciting, attacking football needs to stop, now. We need to win games by whatever means possible. It isn’t acceptable to accept that because we have nice players in forward areas, we can sacrifice our collective defensive responsibilities.

Robinson has built this squad, it is all his. If, IF we fail to make the play offs then serious questions need to be asked about his ability to build a balanced squad because right now, this squad simply isn’t.

Football has two facets - attack and defence. You cannot continue to just expect to our score the opposition 3-2 every week. It’s naive at best.
14th in the L1 defensive table now. Automatic promotion factually and provably requires a top four defence based on the last decade of tangible, indisputable data. If your defence isn’t even top half let alone higher then you won’t be able to beat two of the top six sides across three games in a playoff scenario, even if you do get there. It simply cannot be done. As soon as Bodin’s free kick went in I said to my brother, “Well, there’s the equaliser, because you know they’re scoring at least once.” Literally a minute later they’re wheeling away. Very frustrating and so painfully predictable.

It is what it is. Nothing can be done about the squad balance at this point. Just got to hope that conceding once a game becomes more frequent than conceding two or three, and that there’s enough firepower to make that work.

Which of today’s goals were they at fault for?

McNally has been brilliant, that’s almost universally acknowledged. Seddon has been at fault for more goals this season than Moore and McNally put together. Long has also been at a lower level than those two.

You can get as upset at you want, but our centre backs are not the reason we’re conceding so many goals.

Full backs and lack of defensive midfielder is. You can't all bomb forward, over play and lose the ball and not expect to be counter attacked. Karl knows his system but has once again failed in bringing in players capable of playing it against the big teams.

nonsense. Long wasn’t at his very best, Seddon certainly wasn’t poor and Kane, I thought, was very good.

One way I always try and evaluate player performances in a tightly fought game, like today, is to ask myself would I be picking anyone out for a poor game had it been us grabbing the late goal - as it could easily have been. I thought, back to front, we were pretty good and no individual deserves digging out based on that.

Yes, mistakes were made but more collectively than individually. At Accrington I think a few didn’t do themselves any favours but I can’t have it today. We were decent and unlike the Wednesday and Pompey games it wasn’t to be our day.

Sh*t happens, we move on.

So what game were you watching?

If both your full backs bomb on and you don’t have a holding midfielder then you are likely going to concede goals, it’s only a matter of time.

As has been said no other way of playing with this squad, Seddon won’t suddenly become a proper left back (and we have no other option), Kane is not going to turn into Claude Makele so the holes will always be there to exploit.

You do wonder how a manager with as many league one games under his belt as Robinson can struggle to see that you might need to keep a few clean sheets to go up though.

Good game and we were the better team 2nd half, after an even 1st. Mcguane’s effort for there breakaway 3rd was embarrassing! Stood on the edge of the centre circle and watched there player run, from his own box into our half to start the attack without taking a step to cut him off.

You cannot concede the number of goals that we do and expect to get promoted.

17 goals leaked in 9 games
12 point from a possible 27

Our inability to defend properly is seriously hindering our progress. People suggesting that we should adapt our playing style to keep clean sheets need to wake up. The squad that has been built, does not have the players within it to adapt! We have ‘ball players’ not blockers.

I’m all for expansive football but just look at the players available. We are incredibly one dimensional when we haven’t got the ball and it WILL cost us promotion this season.

All the clap trap about exciting, attacking football needs to stop, now. We need to win games by whatever means possible. It isn’t acceptable to accept that because we have nice players in forward areas, we can sacrifice our collective defensive responsibilities.

Robinson has built this squad, it is all his. If, IF we fail to make the play offs then serious questions need to be asked about his ability to build a balanced squad because right now, this squad simply isn’t.

Football has two facets - attack and defence. You cannot continue to just expect to our score the opposition 3-2 every week. It’s naive at best.
Very well put - what I was trying to say but done much better! It’s all very well having the players to put together lovely goals like Wigan the other week, but that’s not what gets you promoted.

Very well put - what I was trying to say but done much better! It’s all very well having the players to put together lovely goals like Wigan the other week, but that’s not what gets you promoted.
There have to be more changes but wait a minute, Robbo won’t do that. I think Easty should start next week rest Taylor start Baldock midfield can’t wait for Henry to be fit again definitely start Sykes.

14th in the L1 defensive table now. Automatic promotion factually and provably requires a top four defence based on the last decade of tangible, indisputable data. If your defence isn’t even top half let alone higher then you won’t be able to beat two of the top six sides across three games in a playoff scenario, even if you do get there. It simply cannot be done. As soon as Bodin’s free kick went in I said to my brother, “Well, there’s the equaliser, because you know they’re scoring at least once.” Literally a minute later they’re wheeling away. Very frustrating and so painfully predictable.

It is what it is. Nothing can be done about the squad balance at this point. Just got to hope that conceding once a game becomes more frequent than conceding two or three, and that there’s enough firepower to make that work.
I think, to be fair, KR has shown in the past that he can make a side ‘tight’. After our bad runs in the last few seasons we’ve had spells of games where we grind out 0-0s and 1-1s to get a hold of our form and get back on track. You do wonder whether the current squad has the players to do that, though.

There have to be more changes but wait a minute, Robbo won’t do that. I think Easty should start next week rest Taylor start Baldock midfield can’t wait for Henry to be fit again definitely start Sykes.
Does swapping Easty for Stevens help us win second balls in midfield? Agree I’d like to see more of Baldock but the problem in the middle and when we’re countered still remains.

I think, to be fair, KR has shown in the past that he can make a side ‘tight’. After our bad runs in the last few seasons we’ve had spells of games where we grind out 0-0s and 1-1s to get a hold of our form and get back on track. You do wonder whether the current squad has the players to do that, though.

Gorrin and Ruffels last season helped a lot to being tight at the back.Don't think Seddon and Kane can do that and we don't have anyone on the bench that can do it either. We seem to be a better attacking team this season, but weaker in defensive. We need balance to be promoted.

We were in the play offs before today so things have changed we’re now 7th and ply have replaced us with 2 games in hand. So yes things have changed.
we have to play 4 teams that are currently above us and 1 who is trying to catch us so it is in our hands but i guess we are not good enough to beat any of them in the eyes of some.

People saying KR needs to go if we don't make the play offs, i don't get that for 1 minute..at the start of the season even reaching the play offs would be an achievement, there's far too much demand and expectancy.

Does swapping Easty for Stevens help us win second balls in midfield? Agree I’d like to see more of Baldock but the problem in the middle and when we’re countered still remains.

But today we hardly won any 50/50 headers, also when a pass was made to one of our players they would be in like a shot to win the ball. We stood and waited. But I like Jack but conceded 12 goals in his first 6 games is not a great return yes the defence could help but he has to take some responsibility his distribution was poor today and sorry to say if Jack is our no1 keeper he has to improve.

Gorrin and Ruffels last season helped a lot to being tight at the back.Don't think Seddon and Kane can do that and we don't have anyone on the bench that can do it either. We seem to be a better attacking team this season, but weaker in defensive. We need balance to be promoted.
Ruffels got absolute pelters all of last season but I’d snap your hand off for him now.

we have to play 4 teams that are currently above us and 1 who is trying to catch us so it is in our hands but i guess we are not good enough to beat any of them in the eyes of some.

People saying KR needs to go if we don't make the play offs, i don't get that for 1 minute..at the start of the season even reaching the play offs would be an achievement, there's far too much demand and expectancy.
Well how long do we give KR? Yes the play offs are in our hands as are the 4’teams that are currently above us and the one that are trying to catch us and Plymouth have two games in hand. Yes it’s in our hands but this will be very difficult.

Very sloppy performance and two sloppy teams really. I wish we’d replaced Gorrin, or got someone to compete with him in the close season, but I’m not sure focusing on individuals and substitutes is the most relevant thing. The team on the pitch needs to perform better, harry more, give the ball away less, keep properly focused. Theyre capable of so much more than they produced today.

Back
Top Bottom