5th Test 12-16 September 2019 The Oval

oh dear ... Denly gone already :(

How many minutes before Root gives his wicket away?

oh dear ... Denly gone already :(
That was the largest opening partnership in the entire series... Which just shows how tough its been in England this year facing the new ball.

I totally get that. But I guess that the selectors do see these players regularly. If for example Sibley struggles against average County spinners then you can understand them having some concerns about him playing Lyon.
Over the years the selectors have picked Trescothick, Strauss because they saw something in them ( they were not averaging 50 I believe)
I assume that the selectors will want to ensure that the players under consideration have few technical flaws that will be exposed by a very good Australian bowling attack (and have a very good temperament)
Its very much a damned if you do, damned if you don't moment. However, is playing Denly out of position any better? He scored a scratchy 14 today, so there is an argument to say that if someone like Sibley is as ready as he can be, give him the chance in a match that kind of doesn't matter. You can then take the lessons learned and use the winter to work with him to get better. You can use the next 2 years to hone the technique - sadly we've opened the batting in recent times with some of the most technically inferior players I can remember.

A decent point on comms today - the average opening partnership across both teams has been 9 in the Ashes.

103-2 .... Burns gone on 47.... Stokes joins Root

Stokes gone ....130-3,.... all 3 England wickets to fall have been through batsman error! All 3 dismissals were prime examples of how batsmen shouldnt play in a test match

Last edited:
Blimey! Root gets a knock of 50 + runs and is still batting! :sneaky:

169-3 at Tea ... only 52 overs bowled ... Aussies up to their usual 'gamesmanship' tactics it seems, slowing the game down etc this time... 52 overs appears very low for two full sessions played?

169-3 at Tea ... only 52 overs bowled ... Aussies up to their usual 'gamesmanship' tactics it seems, slowing the game down etc this time... 52 overs appears very low for two full sessions played?
Should be aiming for 30 a session, 3 sessions giving you the 90 a day, but teams never get there.

Should be aiming for 30 a session, 3 sessions giving you the 90 a day, but teams never get there.
think it was Tufnell on commentary earlier (?) who suggested there should be a minimum amount of overs bowled per session... if the over rate falls behind the required minimum rate, the team bowling has another 12 runs awarded against them! Decent shout IMO.... that'd speed up the likes of the Aussies and their cheating 'gamesmanship'

think it was Tufnell on commentary earlier (?) who suggested there should be a minimum amount of overs bowled per session... if the over rate falls behind the required minimum rate, the team bowling has another 12 runs awarded against them! Decent shout IMO.... that'd speed up the likes of the Aussies and their cheating 'gamesmanship'

It's already a fixture in many T20 and one-day tournaments. The T20 Blast for example. If you're not ready to bowl the first ball of the final alloted over within the time allowed (having taken off all allowances by the umpires during the innings) then you get 6 runs per over missing as penalties added to the batting team's total.

We have it in the German Super Series...get's them geed up alright!

That was close........................... and a DRS wasted by the convicts.

England in poor batting repeat .... Curran gone 199-6

Back
Top Bottom