Current Player #16 Tyler Burey

Having chosen to ignore Dickie Walton, this thread has lost all meaning.

If they have nothing to say of worth, why bother replying?

It amazes me why you aren’t taken seriously on this forum, although you weren’t the last time you were posting on here either.

It’s a football forum, who cares !!!!! Perhaps this place is a mainstay of your little sad existence but I have a business, a family, grand children and interests outside of Oxford United!!! I couldn’t care less how I’m viewed on here.

It’s a football forum, who cares !!!!! Perhaps this place is a mainstay of your little sad existence but I have a business, a family, grand children and interests outside of Oxford United!!! I couldn’t care less how I’m viewed on here.
Yet here you are getting very angry at people who think you’re a bit of, excuse the pun, a dick.

Yet here you are getting very angry at people who think you’re a bit of, excuse the pun, a dick.

Not at all!! 🤣keep it coming!! .,. If someone calls me a t**t, as they did, I’ll give it back. Doesn’t mean I’m “very angry” though!!🙂

He's got an attitude problem - everywhere he's been knows this - so why did we not suss this? Why did we splurge £400k on a known "fragile" front man?. We discovered a problem at his medical so why the f**k did we sign him?
Answer: because we panicked. Our recruitment people need sorting.
Think that’s unfair. Ed Waldron spent the better part of a year lining up targets for a manager who left unexpectedly a month or so before the transfer window opened, and was replaced by a guy who told him he didn’t want the same type of players as he plays a different way, with a different formation. A good 80% of the recruitment team’s work was thrown in the bin virtually overnight.

Buckingham didn’t want wing-backs, fluid attacking midfielders who can play across the line, or penalty box finishers like Manning was after. He wanted defensive full backs like Bennett, out-and-out wingers like Dale and a physical target man like Goodwin. Buckingham also wanted another central midfielder, while Manning felt he didn’t need anyone else as both of his formations used two sitters at the bottom of a ‘box’. He had Brannagan, McGuane and McEachran, with Smyth in reserve, covering those two spots. Another centre mid wasn’t high on his list for this season, which he even said himself while he was here, whereas Buckingham uses a formation that requires three central midfielders just to put a team out.

A player like McEachran can’t play any of those three roles in a 433 because he doesn’t have the legs to play at the base as a lone CDM, or as an eight that gets up and down the pitch, and Buckingham has got no interest in Smyth. He’s also not sold on Rodrigues, who is basically a 10 and nothing else, being able to drop back into one of the eight spots as he’s not mobile enough. Waldron basically had to try and pull a midfielder out of a hat who was both available in January and good enough for a team hoping to get promotion, with about a month’s notice. There were not many of those, especially after spending over half a million quid on Goodwin and Dale, hence having to punt on a loan for Matete in the final hours of the window.

Also, Manning came in towards the end of last season with recent experience of managing another club in League One for 18 months, and had his own extensive database of players which he handed over to Waldron on Day One. He knew who he wanted because MK were a very similar club in the exact same league as us at that point, so Waldron had a comprehensive list of players that he could not only begin pursuing, but that he could use to start gathering information regarding alternative options. By contrast, Buckingham came in after a decade of coaching and managing in Asia and basically went, “I don’t want most of these but I’m not really up to speed with the ins and outs of players in this country. Find me different options.” It was like an architect being told to tear up the blueprints and start from scratch weeks before the contractors arrive.

What I would ask is why the above was allowed to happen. The Chairman and CEO had the final say on who was appointed, so they should’ve made damn sure that the person being brought in wasn’t going to set fire to the club’s recruitment plans. And if Buckingham said one thing during the interview process and another after he got the job, they should’ve told him in no uncertain terms that he would be working to the club’s plan as agreed, otherwise he can get straight back on the plane.

I think that the January window ultimately reflected the chaotic, clueless manner in which the football club is run these days. Disjointed, reactionary and totally lacking in leadership. If Waldron needs sorting out, and I’m not sure I believe that’s particularly fair given he had the rug pulled out from under him, I’d argue he’s far from alone.

Think that’s unfair. Ed Waldron spent the better part of a year lining up targets for a manager who left unexpectedly a month or so before the transfer window opened, and was replaced by a guy who told him he didn’t want the same type of players as he plays a different way, with a different formation. A good 80% of the recruitment team’s work was thrown in the bin virtually overnight.

Buckingham didn’t want wing-backs, fluid attacking midfielders who can play across the line, or penalty box finishers like Manning was after. He wanted defensive full backs like Bennett, out-and-out wingers like Dale and a physical target man like Goodwin. Buckingham also wanted another central midfielder, while Manning felt he didn’t need anyone else as both of his formations used two sitters at the bottom of a ‘box’. He had Brannagan, McGuane and McEachran, with Smyth in reserve, covering those two spots. Another centre mid wasn’t high on his list for this season, which he even said himself while he was here, whereas Buckingham uses a formation that requires three central midfielders just to put a team out.

A player like McEachran can’t play any of those three roles in a 433 because he doesn’t have the legs to play at the base as a lone CDM, or as an eight that gets up and down the pitch, and Buckingham has got no interest in Smyth. He’s also not sold on Rodrigues, who is basically a 10 and nothing else, being able to drop back into one of the eight spots as he’s not mobile enough. Waldron basically had to try and pull a midfielder out of a hat who was both available in January and good enough for a team hoping to get promotion, with about a month’s notice. There were not many of those, especially after spending over half a million quid on Goodwin and Dale, hence having to punt on a loan for Matete in the final hours of the window.

Also, Manning came in towards the end of last season with recent experience of managing another club in League One for 18 months, and had his own extensive database of players which he handed over to Waldron on Day One. He knew who he wanted because MK were a very similar club in the exact same league as us at that point, so Waldron had a comprehensive list of players that he could not only begin pursuing, but that he could use to start gathering information regarding alternative options. By contrast, Buckingham came in after a decade of coaching and managing in Asia and basically went, “I don’t want most of these but I’m not really up to speed with the ins and outs of players in this country. Find me different options.” It was like an architect being told to tear up the blueprints and start from scratch weeks before the contractors arrive.

What I would ask is why the above was allowed to happen. The Chairman and CEO had the final say on who was appointed, so they should’ve made damn sure that the person being brought in wasn’t going to set fire to the club’s recruitment plans. And if Buckingham said one thing during the interview process and another after he got the job, they should’ve told him in no uncertain terms that he would be working to the club’s plan as agreed, otherwise he can get straight back on the plane.

I think that the January window ultimately reflected the chaotic, clueless manner in which the football club is run these days. Disjointed, reactionary and totally lacking in leadership. If Waldron needs sorting out, and I’m not sure I believe that’s particularly fair given he had the rug pulled out from under him, I’d argue he’s far from alone.

I agree with you analysis on the way Buckingham looks to set his side up, but given that is the case, and the recruitment team had been working to a different managers plans, then why shouldn't he set fire to the recruitment plans?

Do you think that Buckingham, or any of the other candidates, should have simply gone ahead with the plans made for Manning?

And I'm not sure that the blame sits with the CEO or others at board level either.

Buckingham was brought in, and supported in getting Bennett, Goodwin and Dale. Burey, I suspect was seen as a potentially easy fix to losing Mills having previously been on our radar, and Matete was a player who looked perfect on paper but couldn't get fit.

Given the shortness of time, and the need to look in a completely different direction, the board supported Buckingham pretty well in January, and will do the same in the summer for him, or his replacement.

I don't put any blame on our recruitment team, and have every confidence on them having already identified targets for next season. But neither do I blame Buckingham for waiting his own players, or the board for allowing that to happen.

Do you think that Buckingham, or any of the other candidates, should have simply gone ahead with the plans made for Manning?
A lot of clubs operate exactly like that, and it's exactly why we need a DoF or similar such position, so that THE CLUB has a footballing philopsphy that doesn't change anytime a manager changes. If our club operated like this, there would be no need to make wholesale changes to our recruitment strategy, Des would have been interviewed and hired with the understanding of what is expected.

It's very expensive to suddenly need to get rid of players you signed only 6 months prior because the new man wants to completely overhaul the system. This is where the board have failed.

That's not to say that you wouldn't allow some tweaks within a system btw, but we've gone from having wing backs to needing full backs, creative midfielders to needing enforcers, poachers to needing target men and inside forwards to out and out wingers, it's no wonder we've struggled.

I wonder if Buckingham originally set out to be the continuity candidate, and play Manning's way, yet when it didn't go well, decided he had to do it his way. (This aligns with things he actually said, I think.) So suddenly in January the task did become different, but it's not as if it would have worked well if he'd stuck to trying to play Manning's way either.

Burey was a perplexing situation a few weeks ago when we barely had any fit wingers, and a bench full of defenders and (comparatively) old men.

Now Dale & Murphy are flying, we have Goodrham & Browne and maybe even Edwards soon as bench options - Burey is not getting close to the squad on merit from this point on.

Time to forget about him - he was a bad signing, but it was a short term thing.
Waste of money, yes, but hell - we're already losing millions of Bakrie's money every season, and needing to spend nine figures of someone's money for the new stadium. One more bad loan signing kind of gets lost in the noise financially compared to all that.......
Yes, OUFC is probably part of a very sophisticated tax planning scheme by Bakrie et al. Billionaires need to have substantial losses somewhere in their offshore empires.

I agree with you analysis on the way Buckingham looks to set his side up, but given that is the case, and the recruitment team had been working to a different managers plans, then why shouldn't he set fire to the recruitment plans?

And I'm not sure that the blame sits with the CEO or others at board level either.

Buckingham was brought in, and supported in getting Bennett, Goodwin and Dale. Burey, I suspect was seen as a potentially easy fix to losing Mills having previously been on our radar, and Matete was a player who looked perfect on paper but couldn't get fit.

Given the shortness of time, and the need to look in a completely different direction, the board supported Buckingham pretty well in January, and will do the same in the summer for him, or his replacement.

I don't put any blame on our recruitment team, and have every confidence on them having already identified targets for next season. But neither do I blame Buckingham for waiting his own players, or the board for allowing that to happen.
No, I don’t blame Buckingham for wanting his own players or having his own ideas, or I would have done so. But it is pretty dreadful management practice to spend nearly all year working towards something specific, have everything going the way you want it to go to the point that you’re second in the league with a five point cushion, and then make a decision that goes in completely another direction that nobody on the football side is prepared for.

If you’re in charge of any company in any industry, and you are meeting your goals and have a plan in place that is working, and that multiple members of staff are happily working to, it is extremely unusual to suddenly make a call that requires ripping everything up from a position of strength and going in another direction entirely. We aren’t talking tweaks or slight adjustments, we’re talking a complete overhaul. Totally different tactics, totally different formation, totally different set of players and personnel necessary to make it effective. Not only does it require starting from scratch in terms of incoming targets, it’s made a number of players who were brought in previously redundant.

I don’t think it’s unreasonable to suggest it was a strange decision to push the entire setup in a different direction overnight, given it was working very well. The only people who made that call were the people who hired someone who clearly didn’t want to work the way everyone else was working. Which is absolutely his prerogative, but it wasn’t a brilliant decision for the collective.

No, I don’t blame Buckingham for wanting his own players or having his own ideas, or I would have done so. But it is pretty dreadful management practice to spend nearly all year working towards something specific, have everything going the way you want it to go to the point that you’re second in the league with a five point cushion, and then make a decision that goes in completely another direction that nobody on the football side is prepared for.

If you’re in charge of any company in any industry, and you are meeting your goals and have a plan in place that is working, and that multiple members of staff are happily working to, it is extremely unusual to suddenly make a call that requires ripping everything up from a position of strength and going in another direction entirely. We aren’t talking tweaks or slight adjustments, we’re talking a complete overhaul. Totally different tactics, totally different formation, totally different set of players and personnel necessary to make it effective. Not only does it require starting from scratch in terms of incoming targets, it’s made a number of players who were brought in previously redundant.

I don’t think it’s unreasonable to suggest it was a strange decision to push the entire setup in a different direction overnight, given it was working very well.
Even worse is to go a completely different direction but then not fully support it by helping the manager by bringing in extra help in a timely manner.
There are a lot of reasons why this season hasn’t gone to plan but I’d say the biggest amount of blame lies at the feet of the senior management of the club.

So why would supposedly intelligent people do that? Were they frightened of what promotion would mean?

Even worse is to go a completely different direction but then not fully support it by helping the manager by bringing in extra help in a timely manner.
There are a lot of reasons why this season hasn’t gone to plan but I’d say the biggest amount of blame lies at the feet of the senior management of the club.
I completely agree with you. The manager - or rather head coach, which is vastly different - has every right to do things their way, but it’s then up to the club management to ensure that said way fits what’s already here and what the rest of the staff are prepared for. There will always be tweaks or slight differences when someone new comes in, but we didn’t need a complete revamp. If an entire team was set up around a six yard box poacher and geared towards feeding them, and they left and were replaced by a new striker who doesn’t remotely play that way and the goals dried up overnight, people would probably ask why such a signing was made that didn’t fit the setup. Same principle.

If they were going to hire a new manager who wanted to rip everything up, they needed to very quickly get around them and support them from their first day, which we know didn’t happen with the backroom situation. Perhaps if that was taken care of then Buckingham would’ve had more time to work on other areas, both on and off the pitch. They might have chucked money his way in January, but it’s not much good if the money is being spent on players who are being cobbled together at short notice, because the recruitment team’s entire year has been chucked in the bin a few weeks before the shops open.

I don’t know how anybody could look at what has gone on and go, “Well I don’t see how the people paid to run the company are to blame for the way the company has performed.”

I don’t think it’s unreasonable to suggest it was a strange decision to push the entire setup in a different direction overnight, given it was working very well. The only people who made that call were the people who hired someone who clearly didn’t want to work the way everyone else was working. Which is absolutely his prerogative, but it wasn’t a brilliant decision for the collective.
The person who made that call was Manning. He decided it wasn’t working well enough for him -and did everything he could to make life as difficult as possible for his successor.

And I don’t know how you try and find a manager who works just like the guy who has not just left you in the lurch but taken His entire team with him.

It would appear that DB said one thing and has done another. He made all the noises about continuity but hasn’t done that. I’m surprised by that bearing in mind he’s cut from the same cloth as Manning. He would have been here at the club - or at least very close to joining it - during the disastrous transition from Atkins to Rix which highlighted just how wrong you can get things trying to enforce a style on a set of players not set up for it.

It essentially messes up this season unless by some fluke we make the playoffs (and we won’t win them that’s for certain). The recruitment has to be correct in the summer though. If DB gets his team how he wants them to be but doesn’t yield results, that’s that. Back to square one again.

Back
Top Bottom