Current Player #18 Marcus McGuane

Manning seem to get good out of him, I mean he kept his wonder boy signing from MK out of the starting 11. Sometimes you know your gonna butt heads with individuals? Plus when KR fell off the grace of OUFC, MM form seemed to have dipped.

Manning seem to get good out of him, I mean he kept his wonder boy signing from MK out of the starting 11. Sometimes you know you’re gonna butt heads with individuals? Plus when KR fell off the grace of OUFC, MM form seemed to have dipped.
Surely the rise and fall of McGuane’s form isn’t surprise to anyone. His whole career here has been a series of such things. It’s not coaches, it’s the player.

Surely the rise and fall of McGuane’s form isn’t surprise to anyone. His whole career here has been a series of such things. It’s not coaches, it’s the player.
I'm not disagreeing @LeftSideLarry but what triggers that? Yes, players have blips in form but MM has gone from a world beater at the start of the season (against Exeter/Charlton at home I think it was he was phenomenal) to now not even getting on the bench after a very poor run of form. Many have said this was the same story last season. Is it a mentality thing? Tiredness after working so hard early on. I dont think I can remember a player I have watched consistently have such a drop in form.

I'm not disagreeing @LeftSideLarry but what triggers that? Yes, players have blips in form but MM has gone from a world beater at the start of the season (against Exeter/Charlton at home I think it was he was phenomenal) to now not even getting on the bench after a very poor run of form. Many have said this was the same story last season. Is it a mentality thing? Tiredness after working so hard early on. I dont think I can remember a player I have watched consistently have such a drop in form.
His talent got him a move between two giant clubs and even after that failed to impress a fairly big club to give him a contract. They let him go to us (for a decent fee) without him even kicking a ball. There’s a reason he’s here and doesn’t have a great deal to do with his raw ability, but rather his inability to maintain his output at its highest level. It’s a shame for him and I’m sure he is more frustrated at it than we are.

Last edited:
His talent got him a move between two giant clubs and even after that failed he managed to impress a fairly big club to give him a contract. They let him go to us (for a decent fee) without him even kicking a ball. There’s a reason he’s here and doesn’t have a great deal to do with his raw ability, but rather his inability to maintain his output at its highest level. It’s a shame for him and I’m sure he is more frustrated at it than we are.
Definitely. He's always seemed like a decent guy when interviewed and no prima donna (to be fair I dont get the impression any of the team have big egos). It's such a shame for him because he has a lot of talent and when he gets going he is supreme. I hope he was just knackered and maybe we will seem him return - that is probably naïve of me.

His talent got him a move between two giant clubs and even after that failed he managed to impress a fairly big club to give him a contract. They let him go to us (for a decent fee) without him even kicking a ball. There’s a reason he’s here and doesn’t have a great deal to do with his raw ability, but rather his inability to maintain his output at its highest level. It’s a shame for him and I’m sure he is more frustrated at it than we are.
Absolutely, if it was down to technical ability he's a Championship player for me. But it seems all the stars have to align to get consistency out of him. I agree with what was said on the Dub this week. Des has clearly now got in his head who he can trust to play the style he wants. Bolton away seemed to crystallise that thinking. Although it seems to be quite an abrupt removal of him from the starting 11, it's quite telling his extension hasn't been triggered even when his place in the team wasn't in question.

Marcus McGuane has the potential to be an excellent squad player, but for whatever reason, he has struggled to put more than a couple of months of form together over numerous seasons. It may be as simple as playing through injuries when we had no one else and he's struggling to get back to top speed.

I would look to trigger his extension and keep him here for another season, but bring in at least one more midfielder to share the burden. He and Cam have played a total of over 15,000 minutes over the last two seasons. We need to have a squad that enable us to rotate players across all areas of the team without losing quality.

McGuane is one of the quietest players in the club and has always come across as decent and respectful. I don't think for a minute that he has an attitude problem and downed tools. I think he is just a player that has struggled with consistency throughout his career and is also knackered.

Hopefully a decent break will help him physically and mentally if/when he is called upon to play again.

Marcus McGuane has the potential to be an excellent squad player, but for whatever reason, he has struggled to put more than a couple of months of form together over numerous seasons. It may be as simple as playing through injuries when we had no one else and he's struggling to get back to top speed.

I would look to trigger his extension and keep him here for another season, but bring in at least one more midfielder to share the burden. He and Cam have played a total of over 15,000 minutes over the last two seasons. We need to have a squad that enable us to rotate players across all areas of the team without losing quality.

McGuane is one of the quietest players in the club and has always come across as decent and respectful. I don't think for a minute that he has an attitude problem and downed tools. I think he is just a player that has struggled with consistency throughout his career and is also knackered.

Hopefully a decent break will help him physically and mentally if/when he is called upon to play again.
What you say about him definitely rings true in my very limited knowledge of him. I agree that he needs a break and I would extend his contract on the grounds that you say - that he needs to have someone to take the load from him and Brannagan some of the time

I think it's a whole lot more simple than that. MaGuane is a ball carrier (and a very good one at that) not a ball winner. Manning saw that and played to his strength allowing him to drop deep and receive the ball off the back four. He played well and the team played around him played well as a consequence. Buckingham plays him as a ball winner. QED. He's been dropped.

I think it's a whole lot more simple than that. MaGuane is a ball carrier (and a very good one at that) not a ball winner. Manning saw that and played to his strength allowing him to drop deep and receive the ball off the back four. He played well and the team played around him played well as a consequence. Buckingham plays him as a ball winner. QED. He's been dropped.
New photo of @QR revealed:

1712928823884.png

Agree with most of that. I think part of the problem is that when has broken in to the team he's been over played, he then seems to play every minute and ultimately begins to play like a tired footballer. I also think there are odd games when we could rest Brannagan too, he's found his mojo again but, like McGuane, there was a period when he looked out of sorts and a bit knackered.

• React
Reactions: QR
Wouldn't shock me if he ended up at Bristol City, Manning ball suited him, he has the the technical ability to step up to the championship but he obviously needs a very structured role in a system that suits him, which it will there.

Not sure I agree. He was getting the ball off the back four in many games before being dropped, but all he seemed to do was pass it straight back to the defender. He never seemed to try to turn forwards or be aware if he had the space to do so.

Not sure I agree. He was getting the ball off the back four in many games before being dropped, but all he seemed to do was pass it straight back to the defender. He never seemed to try to turn forwards or be aware if he had the space to do so.
I think he's a very conservative footballer for one with so much talent and athletic ability - I believe it was @RyanioBirdio who reckoned he looks at his stats in terms of pass completion, retention, etc with slightly less emphasis on positive end product. As with most posters, I'd love to see him back and making a contribution given our run-in, but too sure how likely that is!

Would be good to see him back.
As that training clip the other week showed, he has some ability.
A real talent when he’s at the races.

Back
Top Bottom