2 Oxford Players Test Positive

It might be a cliche to say that the playoffs are a lottery, but in the current situation with players not having played for 3 months, training disrupted, not knowing which players will be available until the last minute, and empty stadiums, it’s going to be very unpredictable.

Who do we hope it is? Mackie would probably get a couple of votes on here :)
Edit: just to clarify I meant from the POV of missing out on games, not being sick ... wouldn’t wish that on anyone.

You’d hope, in a nice way, it was Hall and Napa as neither would feature in the play offs. I’m not Mackies biggest fan but we will need him in the squad, he could be invaluable off the bench in either a winning or losing position. Praying it’s not Eastwood, that would leave us extremely vulnerable going with a rookie keeper in, potentially, three huge games. Hard to say who else as we have so many quality players but the obvious ones, aside of Eastwood, are Dickie, Gorrin, Brannagan, Henry, Taylor and Browne.

Can we please remember that our players and staff are people please. Talk of who we hope might have got the virus is incredibly inappropriate and insensitive. All of the players and staff have families too, some of whom will be vulnerable - have some respect.

Last edited:
You’d hope, in a nice way, it was Hall and Napa as neither would feature in the play offs. I’m not Mackies biggest fan but we will need him in the squad, he could be invaluable off the bench in either a winning or losing position. Praying it’s not Eastwood, that would leave us extremely vulnerable going with a rookie keeper in, potentially, three huge games. Hard to say who else as we have so many quality players but the obvious ones, aside of Eastwood, are Dickie, Gorrin, Brannagan, Henry, Taylor and Browne.
I would give serious thought to removing this post. Or at least editing it so it no longer says who you would prefer to have Covid.

Under the current climate, hoping that two players of colour (who are potentially at greater risk) have covid is, at the very least, tone deaf.

How have Germany managed to resume games without having this problem?

Starts from the very top of the country: competent leadership (locking down early, strict guidelines, effective testing 'n tracking) meaning the virus is very much under control throughout the land.

Our football ain't got a chance! At least our 'lads' can use the spare time to protect some statues. Mein Gott...

Last edited:
I dont want to sound defeatist but I think its going to be a miracle if we get these play off games completed

It's three games. If the league was to resume in its entireity I might share your pessimism, but it's three matches in very controlled environments.

Can we please remember that our players and staff are people please. Talk of who we hope might have got the virus is incredibly inappropriate and insensitive.

It would also be a significant breach of confidentiality were the club to ever release the identities of those impacted.

It would also be a significant breach of confidentiality were the club to ever release the identities of those impacted.
If the player/s specifically asked for it be kept quiet then agreed, but in most cases the clubs have been releasing that information. I guess like with most illnesses (temporary or permanent), we don't want to build up a stigma attached to saying "yes, I've contracted this".

This is from March: https://www.portsmouthfc.co.uk/news...-fifth-player-tests-positive-for-coronavirus/

On the other hand I've not seen if they've stated who the 2 were that recently tested positive, so perhaps now the playoffs are very real and just a few weeks away there's a tactical side to it from a footballing perspective?

If the player/s specifically asked for it be kept quiet then agreed, but in most cases the clubs have been releasing that information.

No, the opposite is the case - it's confidential unless the player agrees to have the info released.

Now, it would be highly likely that if a player that would be expected in our first XI isn't training or in the matchday squad that we fans would speculate as to why - but we (and the opposition) should be none the wiser as to whether that's due to form, injury or infectious illness.

(In spite of this I imagine we will see those affected do consent).

Todays picture on the OUFC web site gives a clue to who it is not (if the picture was taken today)

It's the same, or at least very similar to, one that was posted on the official insta and twitter last week.

Unless the club have altered the file names of these pictures from the default then all these pictures are taken today.

So big picture, you can see from left to right;
Woodburn, Gorrin, Kelly, Brannagan, Jack Stevens (youth team, going by 44 on shorts), Moore, Browne, Jack Stevens GK in the background.

Second picture from left to right:
Woodburn, Eastwood, Atkinson, Hanson, view blocked, Dickie, Long, Brannagan. Possibly Taylor and Sykes in the distance

Third picture from left to right:
Moore, Hanson, Stevens again? ,Gorrin, Eastwood, view blocked, Spasov possibly?

Henry see on another picture.

So players not pictured today: Ruffels, Mousinho, Thorne, Forde, Napa, Hall, Mackie

Last edited:
Under the current climate, hoping that two players of colour (who are potentially at greater risk) have covid is, at the very least, tone deaf.

Pretty much sums up a major part of the very complex and delicate situation right there.

At no point in that post was it made as a reference to colour but it could be interpreted as such..... if people are so inclined.

Back
Top Bottom