Transfer News 2022/23 Season Incoming Transfers and a few other things

Status
Not open for further replies.
A month tomorrow and it’s our first game so hopefully things will be in place by then.

We have a bigger budget this season it may not match the likes of Sheffield Wednesday, Barnsley, Peterborough, Pompey or Ipswich but if as we’ve seen in the past our recruitment has been oretty decent so have faith in them to strengthen in time for the 30th July.

Tbh I was a bit nervous about Archer as he hadn’t played that much and if my memory serves me correct ( which isn’t that often ) someone posted a video of him which didn’t show him in the best light of things as a GK.

No he was kept out and hadn’t played much, which is why I was pleased and surprised when he came in, and he did so well. In the short time he was here though you could see he was far better than what we had.

No he was kept out and hadn’t played much, which is why I was pleased and surprised when he came in, and he did so well. In the short time he was here though you could see he was far better than what we had.
I was pleased with his performances and felt he would have been a good acquisition.

I know they say a goalkeeper is only as good as the defence.

I think it's also true that a defence is only as good as the keeper. I don't think we had more shots on goal against us than the season before, and I don't think we made too many complete howlers, it was just that most half decent shots on target end up as goals.

A confident keeper spreads confidence through the defence, and vice versa. Hopefully we'll see both this season.

The keeper situation doesn’t concern me - I think it needs another 12 months before we dive in (pardon the pun) and buy someone else. I think if we can settle down on a regular back line it will instil a confidence in Stevens that he isn’t going to get peppered like a steak every week. That includes the holding midfield player who is largely responsible for applying pressure to players outside the box. We missed that in a big way last year and I think, in the end, it became a bit soul destroying for our keepers. Stevens, in particular, cut a figure of someone who thought ‘what’s the point’ by the end of the season. It’s easy to forget he also made some outstanding saves along the way but comes with the territory for people to remember their mistakes. Sadly goalkeepers don’t get let offs - if they make a mistake it’s in their net. It’s the most unforgiving position in football.

Both of them have proven to be excellent players for us at one time or another and have been a good partnership because normally where one has needed to come out, the other has come in and done well. Stevens has age on his side and all the potential in the world. I think he needed the end of the season, draw a line under it and reset. I fully expect him to be our number 1 this year and have a great season.

Lads, if you use the Tapatalk app, we’re still on page one…

giphy.gif

Just goes to show quite often people view things differently. Personally thought he was no better than okay and his footwork was particularly worrying.

Think Stevens, assuming he looks half decent in pre-season is given until at least January to prove he's over glandular fever/Covid issues. Also think having someone like Gorrin in midfield will help closing down those long-shots which seemed to be like kryptonite to us last year.

I'm sure there will be signings made the last couple of weeks of August. We won't be the only side doing so either.
True and that could also be 5 league games played before they do arrive and a couple of games to gel.
The proof will be in the pudding so to speak as to whether they’re to late arriving at the party.

On the goalkeeper front. I thought Jordan Archer was better than both Stevens and Eastwood.

Shame he only came here for a couple of weeks.
Can't have that sorry, there was a glaring error v Lincoln when he fumbled the ball and it bounced all along the goaline hitting the inside of the post and went back into his hands.
That goes in and the Play offs that season had gone.

Can't have that sorry, there was a glaring error v Lincoln when he fumbled the ball and it bounced all along the goaline hitting the inside of the post and went back into his hands.
That goes in and the Play offs that season had gone.
Ha, who'd be a goalkeeper?

If we're looking back at keepers who played a handful of games for us, then the best by a mile was Ashdown. Archer doesn't come close in my books.

For me, the first job of a keeper is to keep the ball out the net. Second job is to take charge of his area and third is distribution. Being able to control your area is a good way to keep the ball out of your net and instill confidence in your defence and I'd rather have a keeper that can come through a crowd of players and make first contact with a cross (preferably by catching it) then I would one that is decent with the ball at his feet.

The GK debate was covered pretty well in a specific thread back in May, but for those doubting that it was a poor season for both Eastwood and (even more so) Stevens, the figures are here... League One GKs 21/22 (scross down, select 'Player' rather than 'Team' and scroll down again to 'Goalkeeping').

- 57 GKs used in League One last season across all 24 sides.
- Connal Trueman ranked 22nd.
- Simon Eastwood ranked 43rd - conceding 3 more goals than the 'par' for what he faced.
- Jack Stevens ranked 55th - conceding 10 more goals than 'expected'.

Yes, there are lots of other factors as to why GKs may concede (number of shots faced, where the shot came in from, whether it went in the corner) - but these are all factored into the figures (and each 'Keeper is working to the same). The stats suggest that they collectively conceded 13 more goals than 'expected' of them. You may not like those figures and you may not think they hold any weight or are unfair, but if the figures went the other way would they then be more than acceptable?

Whichever way you slice it, our GKs did not cover themselves in glory last season. As I said back in May - we DO need significant improvement here (well beyond defensive cover or 'confidence') and to pretend otherwise is head in sand time.

It's judgement call as to whether either will improve but it's clear that we're sticking with the pair of them - so hopefully Stevens in particular has been working on those issues and can vastly improve this season.

It is an area of concern.

Fancy racing them then? You’re a pensioner (at least you speak like one)

If you think that’s all that we need to win a football match, you’re absolutely clueless. Bodin, and Henry in particular, are exceptionally gifted footballers. Is this a 100 metre sprint, or a football match?
Well I can’t help being dyslexic you cheeky bitch

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom