Home Match Day Thread +++ 22/09/18 OUFC v Walsall Match Day Thread +++

Unfortunately, that opinion, justifying KR a longer stay is only going to make it harder for his successor to keep us up. How can you genuinely say he deserves more time??

I do think he deserves more time. He's clearly a good manager: you don't finish 2nd in this league, as he has done in the past, by accident, and he saved us last year. That buys him more of a grace period than 9 games imo. He also has a track record in bringing through youth, and even the most negative fans can't say our young players (Baptiste, Whyte, Norman, possibly Lopes) aren't developing very well this year, despite our form.

I don't have my head in the sand, and I agree the current situation is concerning. As others have said, anything less than 6 points in the next three games and I will concede that something needs to change. I just think that, looking at the bigger picture, KR deserves the benefit of the doubt for a little while longer at least.

What's Dickie got to do too start? Mousinho has played a part in 2 of the last 4 conceded goals.

How long can “I didn’t think we were too bad, bar the result” carry on? At what point is it going to change to “Jesus Christ, we just have to win some football matches and if that isn’t going to happen something has to change”?

It isn’t working, it doesn’t look like it’s about to change, and as it stands we are doomed.

I don't see the 'give him another week', day or moment view. There's no system, problems from match 1 haven't been addressed, we have next to no movement and they aren't a team. The players don't seem to be playing for him.

Robinson out!

I do think he deserves more time. He's clearly a good manager: you don't finish 2nd in this league, as he has done in the past, by accident, and he saved us last year. That buys him more of a grace period than 9 games imo. He also has a track record in bringing through youth, and even the most negative fans can't say our young players (Baptiste, Whyte, Norman, possibly Lopes) aren't developing very well this year, despite our form.

I don't have my head in the sand, and I agree the current situation is concerning. As others have said, anything less than 6 points in the next three games and I will concede that something needs to change. I just think that, looking at the bigger picture, KR deserves the benefit of the doubt for a little while longer at least.

So, if, god forbid, we lose the next 3 games, we will be in the position of 5 points from 36, which against the teams we are playing is quite possible, that will be 3 games less the new manager has to gain points to keep us up. You are prepared to gamble that?

There is a much wider picture though. Charlton's fortunes turned under their new manager and Charlton fans were hardly up in arms to see him go. His recruitment in the summer was poor and he simply constantly seems to look to put the blame elsewhere, rather than owning part of it.

If things were going turn his metaphorical corner, it would have happened by now. If he is given your three games, and the gamble fails, it won't be a simple fix. You would have us over a quarter of the season in staring into a huge abyss that would take an almost miracle to get out of.

Put simply in his eyes he sees no danger in our current position

When he finished 2nd, he did have a certain Deli Ali in the team.

So, if, god forbid, we lose the next 3 games, we will be in the position of 5 points from 36, which against the teams we are playing is quite possible, that will be 3 games less the new manager has to gain points to keep us up. You are prepared to gamble that?

There is a much wider picture though. Charlton's fortunes turned under their new manager and Charlton fans were hardly up in arms to see him go. His recruitment in the summer was poor and he simply constantly seems to look to put the blame elsewhere, rather than owning part of it.

If things were going turn his metaphorical corner, it would have happened by now. If he is given your three games, and the gamble fails, it won't be a simple fix. You would have us over a quarter of the season in staring into a huge abyss that would take an almost miracle to get out of.

Put simply in his eyes he sees no danger in our current position

I mean, honestly, yeah, I am. I think there is value in letting a manager, especially a proven one like KR (to my eyes) take some time to develop a team.

If the club had taken your stance 4 years ago, Michael Appleton would have been replaced. He too had had a summer to recruit, and come 11 October (about 3 weeks away from where we are now), we were 23rd in the L2 table, with 10 points from 12 games having just got stuffed by Cambridge. We stuck with him, we ended up fine that season, mid table, and the rest is history. I don't see why there's this perceived need to just get rid of a manager as soon as things don't immediately go right, especially with a manager who has shown he can get teams out of this league,

I mean, honestly, yeah, I am. I think there is value in letting a manager, especially a proven one like KR (to my eyes) take some time to develop a team.

If the club had taken your stance 4 years ago, Michael Appleton would have been replaced. He too had had a summer to recruit, and come 11 October (about 3 weeks away from where we are now), we were 23rd in the L2 table, with 10 points from 12 games having just got stuffed by Cambridge. We stuck with him, we ended up fine that season, mid table, and the rest is history. I don't see why there's this perceived need to just get rid of a manager as soon as things don't immediately go right, especially with a manager who has shown he can get teams out of this league,
But MAPP didn’t have a full close season plus at least the last 6/8 weeks of the previous season which Robbo has had. MAPP used so many loans that try and get things to work and loans back then could come and go, whereas now you have them for 6 months to a season long loan and with the time he has had I’m sure if MAPP has that time he would have got players in that don’t have injury records but hey everyone seems happy so who knows we could still make the play offs........but somehow I don’t think so.

But MAPP didn’t have a full close season plus at least the last 6/8 weeks of the previous season which Robbo has had. MAPP used so many loans that try and get things to work and loans back then could come and go, whereas now you have them for 6 months to a season long loan and with the time he has had I’m sure if MAPP has that time he would have got players in that don’t have injury records but hey everyone seems happy so who knows we could still make the play offs........but somehow I don’t think so.
Plus MAPP had a better track record prior to coming to Oxford than Robinson had, and MAPP's ability to spot effective players is better than Robinson's (judging by the overall poor quality of the acquisitions this summer).

From a practical point of view, we cannot play 2 up top at the moment as we do not have the bodies to do it. But we can try other iterations of the base one up top formation. For example, remove a forward/attacking midfielder and play Ruffels.

Ultimately, we aren't hard enough to beat at home, and the definition of stupidity is trying the same thing again and again, expecting the same results. And relying on 16 year olds to fill the gap is not so good either.

From a practical point of view, we cannot play 2 up top at the moment as we do not have the bodies to do it. But we can try other iterations of the base one up top formation. For example, remove a forward/attacking midfielder and play Ruffels.

Ultimately, we aren't hard enough to beat at home, and the definition of stupidity is trying the same thing again and again, expecting the same results. And relying on 16 year olds to fill the gap is not so good either.
I think you mean "Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results."

Back
Top Bottom