Current Player #22 Greg Leigh

Bennett is better than Greg Leigh, in case anyone wanted my opinion on the matter :ROFLMAO:

Bennett is better than Greg Leigh, in case anyone wanted my opinion on the matter :ROFLMAO:
I agree. Bennett is solid. Doesn't do anything special but doesn't do much wrong either. Very reliable.

I'd rather see Leigh tried at left wing. Strong and unpredictable, also able to get on the end of crosses coming in from the right.

I think Bennett is *different*, not better. A more solid defender, not as threatening going forward. Depends on what kind of team we are playing perhaps - but Leigh did a good job in a more disciplined, defensive role the other day. Leigh is also more likely to score (if you are looking for your right back to be a goal scorer!), Bennett more likely to help the team keep a clean sheet. So, different!

Interesting debate.

While I personally think that overall Greg Leigh is a better player than Joe Bennett, I can see why the latter is selected under Des’ system - and I think I would too.

If you want a marauding full back then yeah, pick Greg Leigh. He’s better going forward than Bennett, has more goal threat and is much better in the air - in both boxes, so I’d also pick him if I expected a long ball barrage from a Wycombe or Stevenage.

However, I think Bennett is overall the better defender, and is neater and tidier on the ball, and generally more solid. Our current way of playing, with two advanced attacking midfields behind a single defensive midfielder means that you don’t want a fullback who will bomb on, you want someone who can sit and play sensibly. Not that Greg Leigh can’t do that, as he showed last time out, but Bennett is probably naturally more suited to that. He’s clearly a classy player with a decent pass on him and he knows how to position himself.

Nice to have two good options at left back for once, and I can’t believe that Bennett was just sitting there without a club! If we had two players of the same quality at right back we’d be laughing…

I happen to actually think Greg Leigh is overrated, at least as an actual left back/left wing back, he's scored a good few goals which obviously endeared himself to a lot but I just can't shake off the feeling that he's pretty ordinary whereas it's clear when I see Bennett play why he spent much of his career above this level.

I happen to actually think Greg Leigh is overrated, at least as an actual left back/left wing back, he's scored a good few goals which obviously endeared himself to a lot but I just can't shake off the feeling that he's pretty ordinary whereas it's clear when I see Bennett play why he spent much of his career above this level.
I think his weakness is the weight of his touch. He always heads and passes at max power. For heading that is almost always fine, but passing to feet he causes his teammates issues with controlling and moving the ball on.
Still love him though.

Bennett is the more natural left back that's fairly clear.
When I watch Leigh it looks like he's a player who should play further forward and perhaps has been converted into a left back? His instincts are to get forward wherever possible and at times it leads to him being 'caught' too far forward. If we're playing a four at the back Bennett is probably your man. If you're playing a three with wing backs then I think Leigh is the choice.

Bennett is the more natural left back that's fairly clear.
When I watch Leigh it looks like he's a player who should play further forward and perhaps has been converted into a left back? His instincts are to get forward wherever possible and at times it leads to him being 'caught' too far forward. If we're playing a four at the back Bennett is probably your man. If you're playing a three with wing backs then I think Leigh is the choice.
It's really common for full backs to be players who started out as wingers. I heard Gary Neville and Carragher talking about it. I believe they both started that way .

I think his weakness is the weight of his touch. He always heads and passes at max power. For heading that is almost always fine, but passing to feet he causes his teammates issues with controlling and moving the ball on.
Still love him though.
I don’t get this, a good pass is one that gets from a to b as quickly and accurately as possible. lessens the chance of interception.
It’s then down to the receiving player to have the ability to control and move it on.

I don’t get this, a good pass is one that gets from a to b as quickly and accurately as possible. lessens the chance of interception.
It’s then down to the receiving player to have the ability to control and move it on.
De Bruyne is considered one of the best passers in the game but he doesn’t just blast it at players, does he? A good pass is perfectly weighted and into the receiver’s stride, allowing them to quickly move it on. I’d say that Bennett’s short passing is definitely better and crisper than Leigh’s

De Bruyne is considered one of the best passers in the game but he doesn’t just blast it at players, does he? A good pass is perfectly weighted and into the receiver’s stride, allowing them to quickly move it on. I’d say that Bennett’s short passing is definitely better and crisper than Leigh’s
He’s also playing alongside a better quality of player, where the likes of De Bruyne himself and others have that ability

It’s not as “quickly as possible”. Otherwise players would be leathering it at each other. It’s about getting the optimum speed. My observation is that Gregly often overpowers the pass and makes it overly hard to control.

It’s not as “quickly as possible”. Otherwise players would be leathering it at each other. It’s about getting the optimum speed. My observation is that Gregly often overpowers the pass and makes it overly hard to control.
I used the word accurately, I was lucky enough to play with many and against a fair few former professionals.
And they all drilled the ball at you when passing, and as I was told. It’s down to you to control it.
Players had better ability , were quicker and physically stronger each step up.

Last edited:
I used the word accurately, I was lucky enough to play with many and against a fair few former professionals.
And they all drilled the ball at you when passing, and as I was told. It’s down to you to control it.
Players had better ability , were quicker and physically stronger each step up.

Dennis Bergkamp used to demand that Arsenal players fired it into him, he wanted the ball as quickly as possible to give him the most amount of time to find space. Mind you he was Dennis Bergkamp, don't think he ever miscontrolled a pass.

Back
Top Bottom