Away Match Day Thread +++ 23/10/18 Charlton Athletic v OUFC +++

On the Carruthers thing, admittedly it was only very brief, but he looked our only useful player in the 15 minutes he played v Barnsley before the injury

Just seen the goals from last night never a penalty but I suppose if you want a penalty that’s what you do

Amazing how some people aren't happy with last nights result.

I thought it was a good game, they were the better side in the 1st half, we were the better side in the 2nd half and could of nicked it. We had more possession and more shots.

I'm really not sure what some fans were expecting away to Charlton? Even the BBC report says it was a unlikely result for us!
Overheard a Charlton fan say we were all over them in beg. of 1st half too..though must admit wasn't sure where our strike wd come from but from a piece of magic..and lo and behold Gavin came up with the goods. Am glad we didn't seem to panic or heads drop after their pen.

I agree with yellowbow re Mous. I also think having Eastwood back is a big reason for our improvement. Having no effective backup for Eastwood (why have we got Shearer), and lack of options for holding midfielder at the start of this season is the main reason we are where we are in the table. That said I am not sure even if we started with these problems solved we would have been any higher than mid table. Our striking options are a joke.

This squad needs another left back, a better reserve keeper (or faith in our young keepers), maybe another midfield option (Carruthers?), and at least 2 decent strikers. This shopping list is unlikely to be filled in Jan.

That said if we can find a few more goals ther is no reason we cannot be safe in mid table.
That last sentence is prob. the one that Tiger lulls himself to sleep with :)

On the Carruthers thing, admittedly it was only very brief, but he looked our only useful player in the 15 minutes he played v Barnsley before the injury
From what I saw in friendly he looked strong and skilful and looking to build play with team mates

Really enjoyed Mackie's running battle with their number 6 Pearce, and the fact he celebrated like an absolute madman after we scored.

Danny Hylton wasn’t sent off for Oxford!

At this rate Mackie is sure to be.
He could have been a few times and has been for Luton? He was also out a couple of times each season through suspensions. The most frustrating thing with Hylton was that he could find an argument in an empty room and would talk himself into the book. Very good player though.

He could have been a few times and has been for Luton?

But he wasn’t for Oxford.

Anyway, my point - Hylton struck me as “clever” on a football pitch (you won’t hear THAT said anywhere else!) whereas Mackie just strikes me as a nasty gobshite looking to pick fights with inanimate objects.

I hope he can keep a lid on the squid but ever since Earl I’ve been a believer in karma and worry that Mackie will P**s off the wrong ref when we’re 2-1 up with ten left in a six-pointer when Hylton would have kept schtum.

Anyway, my point - Hylton struck me as “clever” on a football pitch (you won’t hear THAT said anywhere else!) whereas Mackie just strikes me as a nasty gobshite looking to pick fights with inanimate objects.

I hope he can keep a lid on the squid but ever since Earl I’ve been a believer in karma and worry that Mackie will P**s off the wrong ref when we’re 2-1 up with ten left in a six-pointer when Hylton would have kept schtum.

As far as I can see he has only had one red card in his career.

https://www.worldfootball.net/player_summary/jamie-mackie/

I think (and hope!) he's smarter than you give him credit for.

Mmm I disagree that he was 'clever. The times that he talked himself into the book when he should have shut up meaning that he missed games. I take your point about sending offs.
Mackie clearly plays on the edge. Having played at a decent level for so long I would be surprised if he wasn't clever and knows when to and when to not push it. Time will tell I guess.
I must say though with having Obika around for over a season it is good havi g an aggressive determined player hated by other teams

Hylton has also never played in the premier League. Give Mackie some credit, he is streetwise and will know when are where the last line to cross is. Some fans are so blinkered, constantly moan that we never had a striker with a nasty streak and now we have one he gets moaned at.

On the Charlton forum they are giving some credit to Robinson for setting up with a game plan and executing it successfully...ironically what he failed to do when at Charlton and has been accused of here.

I wonder if Robinson is starting to accept, like MApp that whilst there is a preferred way of playing, for the squad we currently have we have to be a little more pragmatic.

When KR first came in he sorted the defence and Henry went in to the #10 role. He has now gone back to basics, especially in the backline. Mcmahon has plenty of experience, Ruffels is steady and Mousinho looks to be more comfortable in front of the back 4. Our reliance on the 3 behind the striker is still too heavy...we wont score goals like Whyte's each week, however we did show signs vs Plymouth that we can work better shooting opportunities. Mackie has been a bit of a revelation. Clearly a clever footballer. I love watching him.

Next 4 matches are pretty big, a real opportunity to push on.

On the Charlton forum they are giving some credit to Robinson for setting up with a game plan and executing it successfully...ironically what he failed to do when at Charlton and has been accused of here.

I wonder if Robinson is starting to accept, like MApp that whilst there is a preferred way of playing, for the squad we currently have we have to be a little more pragmatic.

When KR first came in he sorted the defence and Henry went in to the #10 role. He has now gone back to basics, especially in the backline. Mcmahon has plenty of experience, Ruffels is steady and Mousinho looks to be more comfortable in front of the back 4. Our reliance on the 3 behind the striker is still too heavy...we wont score goals like Whyte's each week, however we did show signs vs Plymouth that we can work better shooting opportunities. Mackie has been a bit of a revelation. Clearly a clever footballer. I love watching him.

Next 4 matches are pretty big, a real opportunity to push on.
Agree with everything except Ruffels. He’s not a left back even though he’s the best we’ve got. I think he’s our biggest defensive weakness.

Agree with everything except Ruffels. He’s not a left back even though he’s the best we’ve got. I think he’s our biggest defensive weakness.

Quite agree, however seems to work ok in the current back line. I would love Garbutt to come good.

Back
Top Bottom