Away Match Day Thread +++ 25/08/2020 Friendly Crystal Palace v OUFC +++

Agyei is played as a winger - he doesn’t decide to go wide himself, that’s where he’s told to play when he features - and Osei was played as a central striker today. For me they were in the wrong positions. That they didn’t even swap for 15 minutes was bizarre.
Mark Bright - who I actually didnt mind listening to btw - mentioned that players playing in a front three should be expected to be flexible and interchangeable, using Liverpools front three as an example. I would hope that we would be similar with the front three mixing it up, especially when we have the likes of Agyei and Osei Yaw on. It would be disappointing if Robinson told then to rigidly stick to their positions up there.

Mark Bright - who I actually didnt mind listening to btw - mentioned that players playing in a front three should be expected to be flexible and interchangeable, using Liverpools front three as an example. I would hope that we would be similar with the front three mixing it up, especially when we have the likes of Agyei and Osei Yaw on. It would be disappointing if Robinson told then to rigidly stick to their positions up there.

Everytime I've seen Agyei play and being most affective is on the right wing. I think the main problem was there wasn't a recognised centre forward like Taylor in the middle that was causing the defence concern which ultimately limited Agyei space. Saying that he was our best player in the second half along with hall.

Good stuff all round. Lots of positives. Don't think it's worth reading too much into that second half performance, lots of changes and definitely some experimental tactics and roles, which is what pre season is for really. We are presumably going to be playing the same basic system as last year as our default, and our relatively low player turnover means we don't need to use this period to get the players used to it. That said, the changes didn't really work at all, so you would hope we are also developing some other 'Plan Bs'. It's difficult to judge a striker against a PL defence and without our first-choice creative machine supplying him, so not going to leap to conclusions about Osei, but today did strengthen the case for me that getting in a proper backup striker to Taylor would be prudent.

Would echo thoughts on Hall, seemed to live up to the hype that KR's been giving him the last few months. A very good depth player for us.

Overwhelming positive for me was Brannagan. Looked so good, a return to the levels he was at when we thought he could walk into any PL team last autumn before his injury. I think given his slightly underwhelming second half of last season, in particular in the playoffs, a lot of us had subconsciously written him off, or at least forgotten how good he can be. Hopefully a sign of things to come.

If the season started tomorrow, based on that showing, I’d start:

Stevens,
Long, Moore*, Atkinson, Ruffels,
Gorrin,
Brannagan, Hall,
Forde, Taylor, Cooper

*assuming Dickie leaves; if not, he’s starting.

On Hall - think he carried the ball really well; good link between midfield and the forwards. No harm in easing McGuane in - seem to remember us not rushing Ledson and Lundstram, respectivey

On Forde - think we’ll struggle to accommodate him in the starting line up once Henry is available. Excellent deliveries though.

Would love to see Agyei get a run out in the central striker position so we get the comparison; definitely a good option as a wide forward when chasing the game though.

Hall playing well. Stevens having a nightmare, one goal through his legs, another under his body. Two shots, two goals conceded. We need a serious challenge to Eastwood this season. Stevens clearly not good enough.

You have the right to think Stevens could have dealt with the shots better, but a nightmare? Really, a nightmare? I won't repeat what's been said by many posters since, but if you think a keeper making save after save, playing comfortably at his feet, gathering the ball from the air with ease and saving a penalty - all against a Premier League side - is a nightmare, then I'd hate to see what you'd be like if he made a genuine error. You'd physically explode.

its only a friendly
I know but all the same there was a foul on an Oxford player just prior to the penalty ( which it was ) but the free kick was a definite won. But as you say it’s the boy a friendly.

You have the right to think Stevens could have dealt with the shots better, but a nightmare? Really, a nightmare? I won't repeat what's been said by many posters since, but if you think a keeper making save after save, playing comfortably at his feet, gathering the ball from the air with ease and saving a penalty - all against a Premier League side - is a nightmare, then I'd hate to see what you'd be like if he made a genuine error. You'd physically explode.

Also add in sweeping up behind the defence stopping Zaha being clean through on goal at least once.

Thought Long was excellent, sadly missed his defensive qualities 2nd half. Clare not tracking back left the defence vulnerable which contributed to one of the goals. Stevens outstanding.

Thought it was a very good performance, back four looked quite solid in the first half, with a first class performance from Jack Stevens in goal, surely now he has to be given a chance, had Eastwood been in goal for the penalty they would have scored, always dives to his right. Looks like KR has a headache for the strikers, looked a threat the whole game.

Back
Top Bottom