+++ 25/09/2019 League Cup OUFC V West Ham United +++

Its all been said in the thread, just a great night to add to a few more I have had supporting Oxford. Thought for the day, the West Ham starting line up cost West Ham in transfer fees £74,500,000. That was money well spent! ?

Don't know if anyone else has mentioned it in the justifiable post match euphoria, but why were there not more turnstiles open last night? Certainly on the east stand right side only two of the four were operating, leading to long queues. I suspect some missed the start of the match due to this. Was it the same elsewhere? I'm presuming there was a good reason for this as the club knew the size of the crowd.
Surely it isn't that difficult to train people to use the scanners? Or do we not have enough scanners to cover all the entrances?

There was only 2 open on left side of the East Stand as well.

Don't know if anyone else has mentioned it in the justifiable post match euphoria, but why were there not more turnstiles open last night? Certainly on the east stand right side only two of the four were operating, leading to long queues. I suspect some missed the start of the match due to this. Was it the same elsewhere? I'm presuming there was a good reason for this as the club knew the size of the crowd.
Surely it isn't that difficult to train people to use the scanners? Or do we not have enough scanners to cover all the entrances?
We’ve been quite understaffed since the summer in terms of turnstile operators. I was speaking to a steward a few games ago who claimed - his words, not mine - that match day staff levels are problematic this season.

Then again, we were both having a pee in the north stand toilets at the time, so who knows how true it is.

My first drive down the m40 through stokenchurch and into the shire since the Didcot cooling towers were demolished. End of an era , start of a new era.

Well, 24 hours on and I'm still getting to grips with that amazing 2nd half performance! It really was a top drawer performance. Worthy of a team much higher than we currently sit! West Ham could not live with us. Baptiste is one hell of a player and a special mention to Sykes. For a lad who has been on the sidelines to come on and turn in that performance speaks volumes. The left back Masuatu was made to look completely useless and he cost them 6.2 million a few years back. I stood and applauded after the Lincoln game and I stood and applauded for even longer last night!
Well done KR, all players and staff involved.

Well, 24 hours on and I'm still getting to grips with that amazing 2nd half performance! It really was a top drawer performance. Worthy of a team much higher than we currently sit! West Ham could not live with us. Baptiste is one hell of a player and a special mention to Sykes. For a lad who has been on the sidelines to come on and turn in that performance speaks volumes. The left back Masuatu was made to look completely useless and he cost them 6.2 million a few years back. I stood and applauded after the Lincoln game and I stood and applauded for even longer last night!
Well done KR, all players and staff involved.

Sykes is a decent player who should hopefully be getting more of a look in, only player I can question is Hall, he's just not got the edge anymore

An over the top comparison I’ll admit but Baptiste reminds me of Paul Gascogne. It’s the upper body strength combined with twinkle toes feet and the ability to drive forward, with speed of thought. It all looks so natural and not overly coached.

If he can stay fit he’ll be playing in the Premier League within 2 years.

For us!!

WOW........I’ve been buzzing all day, watched the goals 5 times over and can’t stop smiling. That’s as good as I’ve seen at the Kassam and it will take something special to top it.

I think we just shaded the first half with the chances we had but it could have been so different with Dickie doing his best to make it game over with a wayward pass in the first minute. Looking back at it I think it would have gone past Eastwood if Moore hadn’t got across and blocked the shot.

Long had his hands full (their number 37 was rapid) but hung in there and got better as the game went on, I’d have no problem with him being first choice right back when Cadden departs.

Sykes went from looking light weight to sublime and Baptiste will be playing in the Premier League in the next 2-3 years if he can stay fit. Felt really sorry for Thorne who looked like a Rolls Royce in midfield before his unfortunate injury.

I honestly don’t think the changes we made from Saturday weakened us which just shows what a great squad KR has now assembled.

Roll on Fatty Evans on Saturday........

Listening to radio Oxford on the way back and they said it was a historic result and I scoffed.

On reflection, of course it is, but we dominated the whole game and didn't look troubled... there was no toil and trouble, no last gasp equalisers, no riding our luck as Easty pulls off save after save. We bossed the game in every area of the pitch. Pretty much every cross field long ball was cut out by our defence. I can't get over Shandon's goal, absolutely effortless and oozing confidence. Likewise Fosu taking it around the goal keeper rather than hitting it as soon as possible.

In the last round we rested a load of players and brought them on at the right time to drive us over the finish line. Again Taylor and Fosu were introduced at just the right time. Hall was switched with Sykes to provide a load more cover for our defence.

Credit to KR for our performances, for building a team that has strength in depth and the tactical changes particularly in the league cup.

A good turn out in the stands and hopefully more than usual will return for the weekend.

Yeah though without Simon’s wonder save at 2-0 they would probably have equalised, despite looking rubbish. Did they actually play a striker?

Not really.

We need to look after Hall, and monitor his progress and recovery very closely, and be very careful and sensible with how we use him, and there’s no guarantee another club would treat him the same way, so it’s best he stays here, the club are basically trying to save the lads career this season.

As for Sykes, thankfully he didn’t go out on loan, we need him here, although there were a number of times against West Ham, where he got outmuscled, and knocked off the ball very easily, even a couple of times he really went in to try to barge a player, and bounced straight off him, so he does really need to beef himself up a bit to build up his strength, so I can see why Robbo maybe wanted to send him out on loan, but I’m glad he didn’t, and hopefully he can progress physically here, whilst putting in displays like the other night in the process!

Back
Top Bottom