Current Player #25 Will Goodwin

Fair play to Scotchegg for managing, through his power of positivity and argumentative skills, to stretch the debate of whether Goodwin was a good signing into three pages.

As a club, I don’t think we’re in a position to splatter nearly half a million quid on an ‘investment’ that has failed to make a meaningful contribution to our promotion push since he’s been here. Hopefully he will prove to be a good asset in time but I can’t believe for one minute that the people signing the cheque thought ‘no worries, whenever he’s ready..’

We could, and should have brought a player in to ease the workload on Sparky in January if we were indeed serious about promotion.

Whet happens if we make it to Wembley but, god forbid Sparky injures himself against Peterborough or even in training in the build up to the final.

How does the argument of ‘well we’ve done alright so far’ stand up then?

Posh have such a deep squad that they were able to bring Kwame Poku and Ricky Jade-Jones on, and Jonson Clarke-Harris - the guy who scored 26 League One goals last year - couldn't even get on the field.
Wow!

How many did they score?

As a club, I don’t think we’re in a position to splatter nearly half a million quid on an ‘investment’ that has failed to make a meaningful contribution to our promotion push since he’s been here. Hopefully he will prove to be a good asset in time but I can’t believe for one minute that the people signing the cheque thought ‘no worries, whenever he’s ready..’

Wait till you hear how much they spent on consultants for a stadium that hasn’t been approved yet.

I imagine those funding it don't know who Goodwin is.

Fair play to Scotchegg for managing, through his power of positivity and argumentative skills, to stretch the debate of whether Goodwin was a good signing into three pages.

We could, and should have brought a player in to ease the workload on Sparky in January if we were indeed serious about promotion.

Whet happens if we make it to Wembley but, god forbid Sparky injures himself against Peterborough or even in training in the build up to the final.

How does the argument of ‘well we’ve done alright so far’ stand up then?

Scotchegg wasn't the only one.

You can always rely on this forum to bring the mood down after winning the 1st leg of a play off semi final :ROFLMAO:

Goodwin hasn't had the impact that the club may have hoped for this season but he was signed for the long term project. They clearly haven't felt the need to rush him back either and it is probably better to let a player build his fitness up rather than throw them into a play off promotion push.

The club could have pulled the plug on the signing after noticing the injury but clearly felt he was worth still signing.

For those who keep saying about the £400K fee, unfortunately, that isn't a massive fee these days in football terms for a league 1 striker.
He was the long term but also the short term unless you think they thought Harris on his own was good enough. When Harris tired on saturday what we needed was to bring Goodwin on, we couldnt so Peterborough came right back into the game.

• React
Reactions: Nox
He was the long term but also the short term unless you think they thought Harris on his own was good enough. When Harris tired on saturday what we needed was to bring Goodwin on, we couldnt so Peterborough came right back into the game.
Harris tired because the way he plays he is constantly closing down the opposition defence so it is no surprise that he ran out of legs towards the end.

We have done pretty well without Goodwin so far and the players have adapted as has Des by using Bodin in a forward role (which he has played plenty of times before).

In an ideal world yes Goodwin would have been fit and played plenty of minutes by now, however injuries happen. The management have managed Goodwin well by not rushing him back, something Robinson for one would have done.

When you sign players, some are with a view to the future rather than the here and now, Goodwin was that type of signing. He is still very raw so the club would have seen him as one to develop rather than one you just throw into the team from the off.

Maybe that says more about where the owners saw the club in respect of being serious promotion candidates or not.

When you sign players, some are with a view to the future rather than the here and now, Goodwin was that type of signing. He is still very raw so the club would have seen him as one to develop rather than one you just throw into the team from the off.

But Steve in January we did need a striker for the here and now and one we could 'throw into the team from the off'
We have been so lucky (up until now) that Harris is robust and stayed fit.
We have got to stop signing players who are either unfit but could be ok eventually or have such a hit and miss injury record their not worth the gamble.

Last edited:
We could have signed a million pound striker who did his cruciate in his first game.
Really weak argument this. How often does that happen? Of course it can but I'd suggest if you sign a player already carrying a pretty serious injury he's more likely to miss games than a healthy player happening to get a freak injury immediately. By that logic we should never sign anyone because they could get injured straight away. You can put yourself in positions to have "good luck" with injuries and we don't.

As for the "it's not affected us so far" argument, what a load of nonsense. There's a pretty common consensus that Harris gets a through an incredible amount of work but is starting to look tired after 60/70 minutes. Maybe if Goodwin could have played another three games worth of minutes Harris could have had a break and been fresher? Refusing to accept any criticism because we're in the playoffs is pathetic and pointing out he's barely helped since January (not his fault) isn't negative either. If it turns out Harris is knackered and it costs us then it'll be "it's happened now, let's look forward to next season and not dwell on the past". I noticed some posters are happy with how we're doing things now not rushing him back like we have in the past, I don't recall the same posters being critical of us doing that at the time.

I've read some wild stuff on this forum, but "Will Goodwin was a development signing" is right up there.

A £400k striker, already on 6 League One goals going into January (3 more than Harris, at that point, remember) was undoubtedly signed with the expectation of doubling that (or better) this season.

He hasn't, and it's not a disaster - but to imply that his signing was akin to Max Woltman or Stephan Negru is laughable revisionism.

The player we probably needed more than Goodwin on Saturday was O’Donkor. That last 15 minutes v Posh was a typical scenario where he has thrived earlier in the season. Harris was done, he’d gone, and had nothing left to give. From the few bits of Goodwin we’ve seen I’m not sure chasing the ball into the corners is his game. We’ve got to find that balance of pressing from the off but preserving a bit for later in the game and keeping our best players out there - especially with the prospect of extra time.

I've read some wild stuff on this forum, but "Will Goodwin was a development signing" is right up there.

A £400k striker, already on 6 League One goals going into January (3 more than Harris, at that point, remember) was undoubtedly signed with the expectation of doubling that (or better) this season.

He hasn't, and it's not a disaster - but to imply that his signing was akin to Max Woltman or Stephan Negru is laughable revisionism.
When I say a development signing, meaning he could be one for the future and develop into exactly what we want to build our attacks around. He is only 21, the same age as Negru and only a year older than Woltman so yes, he could also be put into the same bracket as them. We paid 200k for Woltman but no one has questioned his lack of minutes this season.

Harris tired because the way he plays he is constantly closing down the opposition defence so it is no surprise that he ran out of legs towards the end.

We have done pretty well without Goodwin so far and the players have adapted as has Des by using Bodin in a forward role (which he has played plenty of times before).

In an ideal world yes Goodwin would have been fit and played plenty of minutes by now, however injuries happen. The management have managed Goodwin well by not rushing him back, something Robinson for one would have done.

Maybe that says more about where the owners saw the club in respect of being serious promotion candidates or not.
Absolute tosh.
Of course he was signed for “the here and now”! Do you really believe we paid £400k + for a striker we expected to sit in the stand for the vast majority of his time here?
OK, yes, he is expected to develop here, but were Cheltenham holding him back until he was ready?
We needed the additional striker NOW (and one with different attributes to Sparky). He was bought to help us win promotion.
This season.

Agreed
Absolute tosh.
Of course he was signed for “the here and now”! Do you really believe we paid £400k + for a striker we expected to sit in the stand for the vast majority of his time here?

I dunno. Our Indonesian owners are so wealthy and so dim a manager could probably get away with that. Specially with us challenging for automatic promotion.

Sorry if this has been said but I've missed it in all the above, do we know how he is getting on at the moment? How recovery is going?

Sorry if this has been said but I've missed it in all the above, do we know how he is getting on at the moment? How recovery is going?

A couple of weeks ago he said that he was doing well and had hoped that he might feature in either of these playoff games although they were not certain at that stage.

I don't know if that has changed or whether he is being held back or not. But generally he was feeling in a good place with his recovery.

Back
Top Bottom