Home Match Day Thread +++ 27/04/2019 OUFC v Doncaster Rovers Match Day Thread +++

Karl on RadOx said that Nico Jones performed so well after his OG, showed real quality to keep his head up.

He won't play against Luton, but Jerome commented that KR has just had a long chat with him, arm round the shoulder, offering plenty of encouragement to an emotional Nico.

I'm really happy we kept faith with Karl, there are few better to be dealing with youngsters like he does.

Really entertaining game, that we really should have won. Had Henry’s non-handball handball been correctly called I reckon 3-1 would’ve killed Donny off. Great stuff from Browne in the first half, then from Whyte in the second. Feel like we don’t get the consistency from Browne, and if/when that comes he’ll be a great player. Also, great performance from Hanson today. I think our Kashi replacement has been staring us in the face this whole time. Also word on Nico Jones, real unfortunate for the o.g., but on the whole a solid performance against one of the league’s most dangerous strikers.

I’ve never been a fan of Robinson but there’s a fantastic ‘DNA’ running right through each team that represents OUFC at the moment. If that’s down to or influenced by his hands on approach then credit to the guy. Great job Karl.

Nico Jones will dwell on the negative, but he didn't look out of place in that game and really should not feel down. For a 17 year old in his first ever start league start, he was outstanding and can only get better! It's clear to see why the club rate him and with some hard work, sky is the limit.

All in we played well today and barring a very strange and erratic refereeing performance, we'd have been more ahead. How the Ref could see the handball, then miss all the other stuff, rather highlights the total inadequacy of his performance. Gav Whyte must be murdered to get any protection from the official that the likes Marquis and Wilks get. Their 8 was lucky to stay on the pitch.

A good positive end to the home games for the season. The club must take this momentum on and not have another bitty off season.

And finally. Have we signed a striker yet?

Plus he eventually took on board advice about calming down..had less yellow cards and been just as effective.

I was thinking that as well.

The amount of improvement, both as individuals and as a team, has been incredible.

Imagine what a full pre-season will do for a mostly intact squad, with a handful of key additions, will do.

Just in, WOW was that a play off side we played? Then if it was we were definitely a automatic side but alas we started the season poor and it took until the January window to get ye gongs right.

Now Karl, Tiger and the board do what you need to do to keep that side or at least 99% of those players because that was one hell of a game today.

Waited with my Grandson for him to get some players autographs and selfies I Di Ash Sinclair about his goal and he said they looked at it again and he said he was 2 yards inside, that will be interesting to see tonight that's if they show the disallowed goals.

Nicee to Ruffles get the fans player of the season award.

Just an edit I forgot to say I thought Hanson had a good game.

Last edited:
Just in, WOW was that a play off side we played? Then if it was we were definitely a automatic side but alas we started the season poor and it took until the January window to get ye gongs right.

Now Karl, Tiger and the board do what you need to do to keep that side or at least 99% of those players because that was one hell of a game today.

Waited with my Grandson for him to get some players autographs and selfies I Di Ash Sinclair about his goal and he said they looked at it again and he said he was 2 yards inside, that will be interesting to see tonight that's if they show the disallowed goals.

Nicee to Ruffles get the fans player of the season award.
Not sure if that’s a typo at the end of the first paragraph but I don’t care! ‘Ye gongs’ is now established in my top phrases!

Enjoyable game today, just a shame the lino and ref took away what would have been a great win by incorrectly disallowing two good goals. The quality of officials at this level is really, really poor.

Overall I thought we were the better team. They really struggled to cope with our pace out wide, and I don't think they really caused us many problems.

Browne obviously had a good game But he's also incredibly frustrating at times. He's got a the arrogance/cockiness of a Premier League player, but he could do with remembering that he isn't one yet. I also think he's very lucky that the shot for his first goal went in, because he should have squared it to Henry.

I'm also still not sure about a midfield combination of Brannagan and Hanson. We looked a lot more open today than we have in recent weeks, and I think it's because both have a tendency to jump in and get dragged out of position. For me it should be one or the other alongside a holding midfielder (preferably Kashi).

Shame for Jones to score the OG, but on the whole I thought he had a decent game against a tricky opponent in Marquis. He looked a bit nervous at times but for his first start in tough conditions I thought he held his own. Definitely one for the future.

Good to see Thohir there as well. It would be good to know what his involvement is going to be though. There's a few murmurings about progress on the stadium side of things, but that could all just be pure speculation. I think the subdued reaction to the board entering the field after the match told the story of how everyone feels at the moment.

Unfortunately I can't make Luton (my favourite away day), but I seriously think we could spoil their party. Let's hope we do!

Back
Top Bottom