Current Player #5 Elliott Moore

I think Atkinson will go further than all of dickie nelson Moore and dunkley simply because he is a modern day CB who is also very young still he is also ver confident with the ball at his feet a modern stat John stones perhaps

Last edited:
I think Atkinson as well.

It's just the way the game is going at the top level.
It's not enough for a central defender to be a physical beast and a defensive maestro any more. They have to be able to bring the ball out, beat a man and play quick, accurate one touch passes. And I think, although Dickie & Moore are certainly not skill-free ogres, Atkinson is the best placed out of all our CBs (present and former) to do that. Plus he's the youngest of the bunch.

Though I reckon they'll all end up as Top Half Championship/Bottom Half Premier League central defenders.

Agree with Unification though.....in a normal year, you'd expect to get 2-3 million for Moore or Atkinson, and then be blooding McNally alongside the other next season. But with money being so much tighter in Covid years, it's tough to get full value for your players. If Moore would sign an extension, we should do everything we can to make that happen. Because if we have Moore & Atkinson as our central defensive duo next season, I'd almost guarantee that we'll be in and around the playoffs (at least) almost regardless of what we do with the rest of the team.

I think Atkinson as well.

It's just the way the game is going at the top level.
It's not enough for a central defender to be a physical beast and a defensive maestro any more. They have to be able to bring the ball out, beat a man and play quick, accurate one touch passes. And I think, although Dickie & Moore are certainly not skill-free ogres, Atkinson is the best placed out of all our CBs (present and former) to do that. Plus he's the youngest of the bunch.

Though I reckon they'll all end up as Top Half Championship/Bottom Half Premier League central defenders.

Agree with Unification though.....in a normal year, you'd expect to get 2-3 million for Moore or Atkinson, and then be blooding McNally alongside the other next season. But with money being so much tighter in Covid years, it's tough to get full value for your players. If Moore would sign an extension, we should do everything we can to make that happen. Because if we have Moore & Atkinson as our central defensive duo next season, I'd almost guarantee that we'll be in and around the playoffs (at least) almost regardless of what we do with the rest of the team.
With us.

I just hope we extend his contract and don’t get another Nelson situation where we lose him for nothing and go ‘ah, well, nothing we could do, he was never going to sign another contract for us’
As Kong as he isn't injured next season that us pretty unlikely. It was Nelsons injury and the fact that he didn't want to sign a new contract that was very different in that situation.
You say you just hope we extend his contract, I am sure that we will try but if he has Championship clubs showing interest and won't sign a new contract, what then?

As Kong as he isn't injured next season that us pretty unlikely. It was Nelsons injury and the fact that he didn't want to sign a new contract that was very different in that situation.
You say you just hope we extend his contract, I am sure that we will try but if he has Championship clubs showing interest and won't sign a new contract, what then?
1. Sell him before he leaves for free, so we at least make some money on him.
2. I wouldn’t let any player as good and valuable as Nelson or Moore get into the last year of their contract. With a couple of years left I’d extend it. There are plenty of selling clubs that don’t let their best players go for free, why do we?
3. Nelson would have signed a longer, improved contract at some stage with us, a year in to his career here he was clearly very good, give him an improved contract which tacks another year on with an option for one more.
4. His injury never was going to be a career threatening one, so I don’t agree that it was a reason to not give him one. Maybe it would have been a gamble, but one worth taking.

2. I wouldn’t let any player as good and valuable as Nelson or Moore get into the last year of their contract. With a couple of years left I’d extend it. There are plenty of selling clubs that don’t let their best players go for free, why do we?
3. Nelson would have signed a longer, improved contract at some stage with us, a year in to his career here he was clearly very good, give him an improved contract which tacks another year on with an option for one more.
4. His injury never was going to be a career threatening one, so I don’t agree that it was a reason to not give him one. Maybe it would have been a gamble, but one worth taking.
My understanding was that Nelson was offered a new contract that didn't want to sign it
So due to his injury we would have received significantly less than his worth
He came back at the end of the season and helped keep us up.
So there is no way on earth that the club would have wanted him to have left for free and I suspect that they would have done everything possible to have avoided it.

It's ok to say make them an offer we have good friends of Curtis Nelson's he was on £18,000 a week at Cardiff and he's just signed a new contract. We can't pay players that much money let's be honest once they have a year left you have got to sell them once the carroty has been dangled 😃

It's ok to say make them an offer we have good friends of Curtis Nelson's he was on £18,000 a week at Cardiff and he's just signed a new contract. We can't pay players that much money let's be honest once they have a year left you have got to sell them once the carroty has been dangled 😃
Totally agree.
And that is the same with Moore.
It's one thing to say offer him another contract. But he may simply say no in which case we probably have no option but to sell.
With COVID maybe he will sign an extra year on the basis that we agree to sell him at a certain price at the end if next season ( didn't something similar happen with Dickie?)

Let's hope QPR sell Dickie we might be able to keep him and Atkinson for another season. I've supported Oxford for 50 years an left Oxford in 1984 so saw some great years . Also saw them alot in the old league 2 we had some great players . But we have got a great board and much better players long may it continue .

Shame you’re not in charge, eh? You seem to know more about it than all the pros.

Nelson didn't want to sign a new contract , he was injured so couldn't be sold.
He did come back to form and play extremely well but he ran his contract down at Plymouth the same .

So he’s just sighed a new contract at Cardiff... it can be done then!

Totally agree.
And that is the same with Moore.
It's one thing to say offer him another contract. But he may simply say no in which case we probably have no option but to sell.
With COVID maybe he will sign an extra year on the basis that we agree to sell him at a certain price at the end if next season ( didn't something similar happen with Dickie?)
Maybe don’t just wait until a clearly great player has just one year to run on his contract and starts realising ‘in a year I could move to a championship club on a free’ with the added wages that brings before offering them a new contract? Think ahead!

If you look at other clubs, they renew players contracts (with a pay rise, to make it worthwhile for the player) when they still have 2-3 years left to run on it.

Maybe don’t just wait until a clearly great player has just one year to run on his contract and starts realising ‘in a year I could move to a championship club on a free’ with the added wages that brings before offering them a new contract? Think ahead!

If you look at other clubs, they renew players contracts (with a pay rise, to make it worthwhile for the player) when they still have 2-3 years left to run on it.
Wow.

Back
Top Bottom