Current Player #5 Elliott Moore

Over the two legs against Peterborough, Moore has probably been our best player.

There was one shot in the first half last night which he bravely stuck his head in the way of, didn’t flinch.

Also liked the way he took charge of the situation when Rodrigues was being booked, pushed the Posh player away whilst having a chat with the ref and calming Ruben down a bit.

Over the two legs against Peterborough, Moore has probably been our best player.

There was one shot in the first half last night which he bravely stuck his head in the way of, didn’t flinch.

Also liked the way he took charge of the situation when Rodrigues was being booked, pushed the Posh player away whilst having a chat with the ref and calming Ruben down a bit.
Yes. I noticed that. A proper captain’s intervention

May not have pace, but brilliant in every other respect recently.
I saw him the day after a certain Scouse Plonker took the captaincy away from him (IIRC to give it “joint” to Cam and Long) and he Seemed to be somewhat low in spirits, unsurprisingly.
Not a shouter and yeller, but clearly well respected among his teammates.

If we win on the 18th, then Moore's one of probably only 3-4 players that I would expect/hope to see starting our first game back in the Championship (not that it was called that last time we were in it!). Although there's many more of our current players that I think can be part of a successful squad at that level.

Ciaron Brown has also been a titan this season, and especially over the last couple of months, so would want him to stay next year......but I think we would desperately need a faster ball-playing CB to play alongside Moore at that level.

If, Heaven forbid, we don't win - then happy to pencil Moore-Brown in for 46 games in League One next year!

If we win on the 18th, then Moore's one of probably only 3-4 players that I would expect/hope to see starting our first game back in the Championship (not that it was called that last time we were in it!). Although there's many more of our current players that I think can be part of a successful squad at that level.

Ciaron Brown has also been a titan this season, and especially over the last couple of months, so would want him to stay next year......but I think we would desperately need a faster ball-playing CB to play alongside Moore at that level.

If, Heaven forbid, we don't win - then happy to pencil Moore-Brown in for 46 games in League One next year!

How many do you realistically see being here if we stay down?

How many do you realistically see being here if we stay down?

Want or expect?

If it's want, then I think I would be absolutely happy with starting next season in League One with 9 or 10 of the starting XI from yesterday plus a new RB (and maybe a new GK.....although Cumming has been massively improved since the Shrews game, and is slowly winning me over). The summer would be all about putting together much better depth than we have now.

Expect? I think the players we might lose, in descending order of likelihood are Murphy, Tyler, Cam & Moore. Best guess, we'd probably lose the first two but keep the latter two. And then our summer becomes tougher because we also have to replace them (although hopefully we're then counting a big pile of cash from the Goodrham sale. I'm not advocating that we sell him unless it's a big offer).

Interesting comments on the Peterborough v Oxford games on NTT20.
Ali Maxwell was suggesting what a fantastic defender Moore was ( as well as Ciaran Brown)

Moore, as an out and out defender, is comfortably Championship standard. We've been blessed with some truly superb centre backs in the last 8 or 9 years - Dunkley, Nelson, Dickie, Atkinson, McNally, Wright, who was another superb out and out defender, and even the likes of Negru look very good. For doing his primary job of defending, Moore is sitting on the top table in this group in my opinion. There's a few in there who fit the modern day centre back a bit better but none braver and few superior positionally. Leads by example, excellent centre back.

Want or expect?

If it's want, then I think I would be absolutely happy with starting next season in League One with 9 or 10 of the starting XI from yesterday plus a new RB (and maybe a new GK.....although Cumming has been massively improved since the Shrews game, and is slowly winning me over). The summer would be all about putting together much better depth than we have now.

Expect? I think the players we might lose, in descending order of likelihood are Murphy, Tyler, Cam & Moore. Best guess, we'd probably lose the first two but keep the latter two. And then our summer becomes tougher because we also have to replace them (although hopefully we're then counting a big pile of cash from the Goodrham sale. I'm not advocating that we sell him unless it's a big offer).
One of the reasons I’m feeling weirdly placid about Saturday is that, even if we don’t win, I now have a huge amount of confidence in Des, the squad that I think will stay and our recruitment team to come back even stronger next year.

Agree that Murphy and TG will go. However, I don’t think any of our other contracted players have been obviously standout enough over the course of the season to be tempting to Championship clubs, and we’ll be able to keep a really solid core. As you say, Moore and Brannagan are the obvious two, and their performances in these playoffs will have attracted some attention, but I think Brannagan’s chance to move was a couple of summers ago, and I don’t think Moore is mobile enough or young enough to appeal to Championship sides. Harris, despite a strong second half of the season, I don’t think will have done enough to attract second tier sides, and Rodrigues, too, I think has shown that he would struggle at the increased pace and physicality of a level up.

We’re not as reliant on loan players as we were in even the first half of this season - only Stevens is likely to get recalled, and, with Cumming out of contract, his remarkable uptick in form I think would merit a contract offer there. So little disruption from that perspective.

We will likely also be bidding (very fond) farewells to some players who have been great for us - Henry and Bodin, and (to a lesser extent) Browne, Thorniley and MacEachran, you’d imagine. (Possibly MacGuane? Although I wouldn’t be averse to triggering his option.) This frees up further budget and allows Des to bring in players that are more suited to this new style, rather than having to fit square pegs in round holes.

We’ve seen this year that a core of a squad of Moore, Brown, Bennett, Leigh, Long, Brannagan, Harris, Dale and Rodrigues, among others, all of whom I expect to be here next year, can be a top end League One squad. Supplementing this core with more attacking options on the wings, a stronger right back option, further central midfield strength and more busy bodies to rotate the two 10 roles I don’t think would be too difficult, and would see us right up the top again should we still be in this division come August.

One of the reasons I’m feeling weirdly placid about Saturday is that, even if we don’t win, I now have a huge amount of confidence in Des, the squad that I think will stay and our recruitment team to come back even stronger next year.

Agree that Murphy and TG will go. However, I don’t think any of our other contracted players have been obviously standout enough over the course of the season to be tempting to Championship clubs, and we’ll be able to keep a really solid core. As you say, Moore and Brannagan are the obvious two, and their performances in these playoffs will have attracted some attention, but I think Brannagan’s chance to move was a couple of summers ago, and I don’t think Moore is mobile enough or young enough to appeal to Championship sides. Harris, despite a strong second half of the season, I don’t think will have done enough to attract second tier sides, and Rodrigues, too, I think has shown that he would struggle at the increased pace and physicality of a level up.

We’re not as reliant on loan players as we were in even the first half of this season - only Stevens is likely to get recalled, and, with Cumming out of contract, his remarkable uptick in form I think would merit a contract offer there. So little disruption from that perspective.

We will likely also be bidding (very fond) farewells to some players who have been great for us - Henry and Bodin, and (to a lesser extent) Browne, Thorniley and MacEachran, you’d imagine. (Possibly MacGuane? Although I wouldn’t be averse to triggering his option.) This frees up further budget and allows Des to bring in players that are more suited to this new style, rather than having to fit square pegs in round holes.

We’ve seen this year that a core of a squad of Moore, Brown, Bennett, Leigh, Long, Brannagan, Harris, Dale and Rodrigues, among others, all of whom I expect to be here next year, can be a top end League One squad. Supplementing this core with more attacking options on the wings, a stronger right back option, further central midfield strength and more busy bodies to rotate the two 10 roles I don’t think would be too difficult, and would see us right up the top again should we still be in this division come August.

A massive job for Des and the recruitment team if we make it on Saturday. Watching the respective play offs - Championship to L2 - there looks huge chasms in ability between each division. You don't very often get to watch two back to back matches from each division in the space of a week or so but, having watched pretty much all of them, we (along with our other play off rivals) look well ahead of those in L2 but well off the pace of the game in the Championship. I don't think the gaps in class - including NL to L2 and Championship to PL - have ever been greater in recent times. Will be fascinating to see how we recruit should it be at Championship level.

My only worry is that (apart from the last few games) when we were winning 4-0, 5-0 it was Murphy who was the catalyst of those victories by being just a clear step above this level. If he leaves we will struggle to recruit a left winger who can operate at that level, and without that we will look a little less threatening.

I don't think the gaps in class - including NL to L2 and Championship to PL - have ever been greater in recent times. Will be fascinating to see how we recruit should it be at Championship level.
The interesting stat is that NO team going up to the Championship last season cane down.
And NO team that came down even made the play offs (I get the Wigan and Reading points deductions)

Back
Top Bottom