General Accents

Am also regarded as a more of a curiosity because of my undying support for a fairly mediocre football team. 😏
This struck a chord with me. Knowing that I support OUFC causes some people to assume that my accent is 'Oxford', or at least 'Oxfordshire'. They don't realise that I've never lived or worked anywhere near the county and that my accent is un-posh Surrey. This raises the inevitable question; 'how come you support Oxford United then?' the answer to which bemuses and / or confuses.

Lived in Oxfordshire/Bucks all my life and Ive been asked if I'm from Bristol.
I'm from London and I will admit some Oxford fans sound "Bristolian" esque to me. I probably couldn't distinguish someone from Witney from Bristol but I'm sure locals in either place could.

I have taken the P**s out of sooo many Bristolians and nearly got lumped on a night out once.
My dialect changes depending on what company I'm in. With friends, I sound how bazzer would hate, 'yeah bruv, ennit, that's sick man'
At work I just sound southern / normal.

I'm not trying to look cool, or showing off - it's just the way I've grown up to interact. It's not worth getting annoyed about, times and people change.

Brisolian/Somerset/West Country is a proper farmer country twang, the Oxfordshire accent is a bit more subtle and less farmery.

I have taken the P**s out of sooo many Bristolians and nearly got lumped on a night out once.
My dialect changes depending on what company I'm in. With friends, I sound how bazzer would hate, 'yeah bruv, ennit, that's sick man'

I'm not trying to look cool, or showing off - it's just the way I've grown up to interact. It's not worth getting annoyed about, times and people change.

Brisolian/Somerset/West Country is a proper farmer country twang, the Oxfordshire accent is a bit more subtle and less farmery.

Have you heard Gerald from Clarksons farm.

Definitely, there's no part of Oxon with such a broad accent as Bristol.

Oh my god he sounds like my old man at times!! Many years ago I drove my dad to a pub Chippy way (under the guise of me learning to drive) to meet some mates of his. I swear that for the first five minutes I thought they were talking a different language!!! My ears attuned after a while.

The main song we sing that sounds 'Oxfordshirey' is , "I'm Oxford till I DOYYYY"

When I moved to the West Midlands at the age of seven till ten I picked up the Brummie accent very quickly, and luckily lost it when I moved to Essex in 1966. Having lived in Hampshire since 1988 it’s very much Home Counties now.
I know my grandmother used a word…I feel bit lear. What she meant was she felt thirsty…lived in Witney all her life. I know duck is common terminology around there even towards males

I said earlier that duck is an Oxfordshiire term of endearment. My aunt, now in her 90s calls me that all the time. Born in Charlgrove, later Hinksey, and now Banbury.
So, 'ow ya goin, my duck?

When i first moved down to Pompey i was called swede basher or carrot cruncher most of the time. Been down here over 30 years now and have lost most of my original accent. Mind when i see my Dad after about 5 mins it all comes back.
I'd rather have my Oxfordshire/ berkshire accent over the plastic cockney which is the Pompey accent.

Oh my god he sounds like my old man at times!! Many years ago I drove my dad to a pub Chippy way (under the guise of me learning to drive) to meet some mates of his. I swear that for the first five minutes I thought they were talking a different language!!! My ears attuned after a while.

HaHa, my Dad was the same. Back in the day the rural Oxfordshire accent was even broader in the villages that surround Chippy, than Chippy itself. The Oxfordshire villages that border Gloucestershire have a much more rural sounds than other parts of Oxfordshire.

My mother was Welsh and back in the 60’s and early 70’s my mother , sister and o would visit our ban in Johnstown Carmarthenshire, it would be a case of my Nan calling me Bach and then 5 minutes into our visit My Nan and mother talk Welsh. Never understood anything in the 2 weeks we would be there.
Now there’s a thing boyo Yaki flipping Dah.
Now go to 1977 on my first leave and I travelled to see my Nan went in uniform proud as punch. Got the door knocked and my uncle answered Hackney born and bread as he said “ alright Anal down the pub “ felt at home.
Went and did the pleasantries for my Nan and Auntie. Got changed and walked down the pub as soon as we opened our gobs it went a deathly silence and the talking amongst the locals was so quiet it was unbelievable but funny as anything.

When i first moved down to Pompey i was called swede basher or carrot cruncher most of the time. Been down here over 30 years now and have lost most of my original accent. Mind when i see my Dad after about 5 mins it all comes back.
I'd rather have my Oxfordshire/ berkshire accent over the plastic cockney which is the Pompey accent.
Spent six months in Portsmouth, many years ago, when on a course with my job, and I've got to say I found their accent to be very country sounding, and still do. It certainly isn't plastic cockney, unlike where I currently live in Kent.

Then again I have a fairly neutral southern accent, and often hear (particularly older) people from rural Oxfordshire and think they sound as if they've just got off of a combine harvester!

I do think the Oxfordshire accent has changed over the years and become more southern/estuary, particularly in the young and the further east you go in the county.

Back
Top Bottom