General CLUB LEGENDS: Nathan Cooper

Golden Dr Otto

I salute you sir.

Whenever I listen to other club journalists on iFollow I realise how lucky we are to have Nathan Cooper.

I’ve no idea how long he’s been around but he’s one of our own and wields his role with utmost responsibility. Professional, passionate, intelligent and a big dose of integrity.

My crystal ball says you’ll be around a lot longer than some other folks .

What are everyone’s favourite things / memories of Nathan?

I salute you sir.

Whenever I listen to other club journalists on iFollow I realise how lucky we are to have Nathan Cooper.

I’ve no idea how long he’s been around but he’s one of our own and wields his role with utmost responsibility. Professional, passionate, intelligent and a big dose of integrity.

My crystal ball says you’ll be around a lot longer than some other folks .

What are everyone’s favourite things / memories of Nathan?

Absolutely love Nathan, lost his wife in 2013 and has managed that amazingly.

It’s interesting how he can be a bit bolshy with his comments compared to PRB, who is employed by the club full time.

We all know Nathan is the MC at home games, is that a voluntary role? Therefore not employed by the club?

An absolutely top bloke. Went to the the same secondary school as me but about 5-6yrs older. I recall him starting work at OUFC during his last year at secondary school!

Interim manager contender!

That was just someone crashing under the pressure of his own making "You're just asking that question because people have accused you of being too soft last week!"
IF Robinson is still here before the Bristol Rovers game - we all know he shouldn't be and probably won't be, but we never know as the board should have resolved the situation weeks ago - Radio Oxford should hang him out to dry after the comment in the post match interview yesterday.
Editorially, they probably do need to interview KR pre & post match, but that piece where he announces the team should go. Jerome / Nathan can just announce the team, as I'm sure they used to under Wilder / MApp / Clotet etc. It sounds petty, but they shouldn't be having to put up with comments like KR made yesterday.

Last edited:
I missed the interview. What was the gist of it. Thanks
He asked harder questions and Robinson didn’t like that and basically said he had seen social media where Nathan was accused of asking soft questions.
There is somewhere on the match day thread or the krexit thread a link to the interview

We don’t always agree to say the least, but he’s a decent bloke who loves the football club. He’s had plenty of managers lose their rag with him over the years, so it won’t phase him. It’s part of the gig, especially in the immediate aftermath.

He will read this, so it’s only fair that I bring up his most iconic moment:

“Don’t foul him.”

😉

We're so fortunate with the team we have covering for Radio Oxford - for the purposes of this post will concentrate on main journalistic team rather than the summarisers (Rosie, Ben P, or Stevie etc. over recent seasons)
Jerome is a top broadcaster who I believe had the chance to move to Five Live earlier in his career but stayed with Radio Oxford and was able to get in to TV that way too
Nathan very experienced broadcaster through his day job, always spot on with the interviews and "news" bits on a match day and is doing this whilst setting up his own radio venture over the last few years
Nick Harris been around forever, has huge experience of our club and whilst we joke about his pronunciation etc. the bloke is pretty much the Moto GP equivalent of Murray Walker - a hugely experienced and respected broadcaster
Robyn Cowen was shortlisted for FSA "Commentator of the Year" a few years ago and watching the Women's Euro Final it made me a little bit prouder that one of our own was calling the game and pretty much becoming the modern day Kenneth Wolstenholme
Bear in mind that we've also had Selfie working with Radio Oxford / Jack FM in recent years and he's now moved on to Premier League / TALKSport coverage etc. we've been very well served compared to other teams / local radio stations.
I've never met Robyn, so can't comment, but Jerome, Nathan and Nick are proper decent people too.

Last edited:
What exactly were the soft questions???
Have no idea, didn't listen to MK post match, or read any comments about it, was just going from KRs comments in the interview yesterday. I think Nathan - and to be fair, KR up to yesterday - have handled the "tricky" questions about KRs position since Burton with his usual excellence all the way through.

I hear he’s a good fisherman, certainly knows how to get a Scouse trout to bite

I hope that pleased him as much as it did me, the mask slipped right before his eyes

We're so fortunate with the team we have covering for Radio Oxford - for the purposes of this post will concentrate on main journalistic team rather than the summarisers (Rosie, Ben P, or Stevie etc. over recent seasons)
Jerome is a top broadcaster who I believe had the chance to move to Five Live earlier in his career but stayed with Radio Oxford and was able to get in to TV that way too
Nathan very experienced broadcaster through his day job, always spot on with the interviews and "news" bits on a match day and is doing this whilst setting up his own radio venture over the last few years
Nick Harris been around forever, has huge experience of our club and whilst we joke about his pronunciation etc. the bloke is pretty much the Moto GP equivalent of Murray Walker - a hugely experienced and respected broadcaster
Robyn Cowen was shortlisted for FSA "Commentator of the Year" a few years ago and watching the Women's Euro Final it made me a little bit prouder that one of our own was calling the game and pretty much becoming the modern day Kenneth Wolstenholme
Bear in mind that we've also had Selfie working with Radio Oxford / Jack FM in recent years and he's now moved on to Premier League / TALKSport coverage etc. we've been very well served compared to other teams / local radio stations.
I've never met Robyn, so can't comment, but Jerome, Nathan and Nick are proper decent people too.

We’ll said. Totally agree

Listen from 30:22, just make sure you don’t listen to Kevin from Scotland who keeps calling in with his incredible football knowledge, his in depth insights into OUFC and his voice that’s made for radio. Kevin from Scotland!
Nathan did a great job and got Robinson so flustered that he claims that a f**k up in the play offs is a success. Keep at it Nathan, we need journo’s like you.

Back
Top Bottom