Ex Player Dan Agyei

Status
Not open for further replies.
I suspect Karl being back on the market puts the fear of God in to all our old players who hated him - where might he end up next? At least when he was here, they could be sure he wouldn't end up at their club. Clearly things went on with Agyei and many others. If I was them I'd be asking for a KR-clause that makes them available for £1 in the event Karl Robinson is appointed manager.
I’d love to know if such clauses actually existed within the game!

I am really pleased for him, but would be surprised if he ever became more than an average L1 player.
Interestingly Crewe are using him as a bit of a utility forward.
So in 20 games as a CF he has scored 6 goals ( very average) and in 14 games as a wide man ( wide midfield/ winger) he scored 6.
He played 1 as a second striker.
We could do with an average L1 striker at the moment!!

It was the right decision to let Dan go when we did because he needed a fresh start somewhere else, but I wish we'd invested a little bit more into his development. Just seemed like he was a bit-part player for us from the moment he arrived.

It was the right decision to let Dan go when we did because he needed a fresh start somewhere else, but I wish we'd invested a little bit more into his development. Just seemed like he was a bit-part player for us from the moment he arrived.
Let's get this right. He was a bit part player to Robinson. Many of us saw potential and called for him to get a fair deal. He was treated badly by Robinson and when the opportunity arose, Dan was shown the door. It should never have happened.
As to the alleged "interest", can anyone really imagine that he would willingly return to a club which ignored how he, and others, were being treated?

Let's get this right. He was a bit part player to Robinson. Many of us saw potential and called for him to get a fair deal. He was treated badly by Robinson and when the opportunity arose, Dan was shown the door. It should never have happened.
As to the alleged "interest", can anyone really imagine that he would willingly return to a club which ignored how he, and others, were being treated?
Is it really 'interest ' or just agents stirring it a little?
I wouod be amazed if Luton, Pompey or Oxford are seriously interested. Let's see what happens at the end of the season.

It’s a romantic notion, further fostered by the illusion that Dan, is our 20 a season saviour.

This season:
Matt Taylor aged 33 - 7 goals & 2 assists in 35 games. 6 yellow & 1 red card in those games.

Dan Agyei aged 25 - 12 goals & 3 assists in 41 games. 5 yellow cards in those games.

Different divisions but Dan clearly more versatile, mobile and more likely to do something productive on the pitch. Comparing the 2 players when we’ve lacked goals all season is not even worthwhile.

This season:
Matt Taylor aged 33 - 7 goals & 2 assists in 35 games. 6 yellow & 1 red card in those games.

Dan Agyei aged 25 - 12 goals & 3 assists in 41 games. 5 yellow cards in those games.

Different divisions but Dan clearly more versatile, mobile and more likely to do something productive on the pitch. Comparing the 2 players when we’ve lacked goals all season is not even worthwhile.
4 of Agyei’s goals are penalties and so goals per game is pretty much the same except Taylor was playing in League One.

It’s a funny one isn’t it..

If he wasn’t ex Ox and we were looking at his stats this season then you’d probably be interested in him. Got goals, strength and pace..

But we have had him and I’m not sure he is the sort of quality you need to be challenging at the top of div 1 (appreciate we have to stay up first!)

I’d heard a couple of things about the way he was treated (not forum stuff) but from someone involved with the club, and I really hope he goes on to bigger and better things. You can argue he had enough minutes to show what he could do, but he was poorly handled by KR (‘poorly’ is being extremely generous).

He arrived at us a raw bundle of talent with no idea how to use it. He left a raw bundle of talent with no idea how to use it.

League 2 is his level. If 12 goals in 41 matches, a third of which are penalties, in the division below is what we’re aspiring for, we really do have low ambitions.

By all means bemoan KR some more for his treatment of Agyei if that’s where you get your kicks. Don’t ever pretend that he was anything other than an occasionally brilliant but often frustrating striker (or most often winger) wherever he was deployed. Lest we forget when he went on the pitch without his shin pads on and missed a sitter against Fleetwood. Or when he became a bulldozer against Burton and smashed them to bits.

Lovely guy, have a pint on me for scoring against Swindon, keep on trucking in League 2. Let’s move on.

I’m not privy to any insider info. But just based on my own intuition and responses to how Dan spoke and the kind of language he used when interviewed you could tell that (during his time with us) he was very much a confidence player, who played as much on instinct and his natural physical gifts as he did with mental acumen or a great ability to read the game.

Maybe I’m way off on that. I don’t know enough to fathom whether my assessment is accurate or not. But that was always how I interpreted his mannerisms, language and performance. And by the end of his time with us - for whatever reason - it just wasn’t working. He wasn’t contributing and his performances were not of L1 standard (particularly at the level we were playing last year). Whether you blame KR for that or not is totally your call - but I do believe that, with Karl set to remain in charge, a change was best for Dan. He needed regular football and to rebuild his confidence - he was getting none of that with us.

And I’ve not seen enough of him at Crewe (other than occasional highlights clips) to know if he’s any different now. I do know that he has genuine natural gifts (pace, power, leaping ability, an incredible striking ability with his left foot) meaning that if he can put all the tools together and put consistent performances together he has a higher ceiling than L2.

Good for him if Crewe have given him the environment to flourish/live up to his potential. Anyone that scores an Oxford winner at the Scum is golden in my eyes…
He is another example of players being undermined and treated appallingly by that idiotic clown.
He wasn’t contributing and his performances were not of L1 standard - Is it any wonder he wasn't performing to his best, after getting the robinson treatment? Would aby player.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom