National News David Amess MP murdered

Better tell a certain London mayor that and members of the Labour Party.

Stop and search works.

End of.

Also. Carry a knife, get caught. Custodial sentence awaits.

Stop and search does not work - even when it's not implemented by people witt prejudices.

The incident in question wouldn't he beon avoided by stop and search - unless you think there should be police on every street corner, stopping and searching everyone.

I suspect that you believe that it's other people who should be stopped, not yourself?

There’s an interesting article in the Times today. Police are investigating David Amess’s involvement in Qatar and a possible political angle to his murder. It does stress this is only one of other lines of enquiries.
Unfortunately the link is behind a paywall.

Death threats to anyone are abhorrent & are sadly common on social media platforms. Now that sadly an MP has been murdered
will someone actually do something & why has it not been done before .

Southend is to get City status in his honour which is a really nice touch as he was an ardent campaigner for it.
IIRC all his speeches in Parliament ended with the request to make Southend a city.

Don’t politicise this! And yes it was a stupid thing for him to say.
Come on, everyone is talking about and giving examples of the aggressive and violent language that is a significant part of the problem but when I do i'm politicising it???

What about this from above? Didn't see you jumping in with you 'don't politicise' line then.
Better tell a certain London mayor that and members of the Labour Party.

Stop and search works.

End of.

Also. Carry a knife, get caught. Custodial sentence awaits.

Come on, everyone is talking about and giving examples of the aggressive and violent language that is a significant part of the problem but when I do i'm politicising it???

What about this from above? Didn't see you jumping in with you 'don't politicise' line then.
It was proven when stop and search was stopped there was more knife crime. And yes mentioning some idiotic comment from one Tory MP towards a Labour MP was politicising the situation all I mentioned was the face MP’s are getting frequent death threats I didn’t mention a party.

It was proven when stop and search was stopped there was more knife crime. And yes mentioning some idiotic comment from one Tory MP towards a Labour MP was politicising the situation all I mentioned was the face MP’s are getting frequent death threats I didn’t mention a party.
Bazzer, when stop and search reduced, arrests went up. Stop and Search, especially indiscriminate searching of certain populations does not stop crime. Knife crime has been on the increase for a long time and therefore any year on year statistic can be shown to "prove" something that has absolutely no bearing on it.

Bazzer, when stop and search reduced, arrests went up. Stop and Search, especially indiscriminate searching of certain populations does not stop crime. Knife crime has been on the increase for a long time and therefore any year on year statistic can be shown to "prove" something that has absolutely no bearing on it.
I can’t find the news link but it was reported sometime back that stop and search figures for knife crime were reduced compared to when stop and search was stopped.

I can’t find the news link but it was reported sometime back that stop and search figures for knife crime were reduced compared to when stop and search was stopped.
Stop and search hasn't stopped. The police still have the powers to search or question individuals. But now it is being done by appropriately targeting individuals rather than searching huge numbers simply for being (nearly always) young, (disproportionately) black and living in (often) poorer communities.

As a result, far more arrests have been made of those being searched and the police can focus their resources appropriately.

Stop and search hasn't stopped. The police still have the powers to search or question individuals. But now it is being done by appropriately targeting individuals rather than searching huge numbers simply for being (nearly always) young, (disproportionately) black and living in (often) poorer communities.

As a result, far more arrests have been made of those being searched and the police can focus their resources appropriately.
Tragically that is where a lot of inner city especially london is where a lot of the crime is happening regarding knife crime which does spawn out of drugs.
I also appreciate that individuals known to the police are far more likely to be stopped and searched. But I’m sure there was a period recently where stop and search was halted in London.

Death threats to anyone are abhorrent & are sadly common on social media platforms. Now that sadly an MP has been murdered
will someone actually do something & why has it not been done before .

These platforms need to be held accountable. Quite literally, they get away with Murder.

The day I left Facebook (almost 4 years ago) and the fact that I have never been on Twitter, Instagram etc etc, are the best decisions I have made in a long long while.

As much good as I am sure many will say that they can invariably provide, I feel they the consequential social harm, active or passive, far outweigh the benefits.

Legislation to "stop and search" has been in place for nearly 200 years since the Vagrancy Act of 1824! That has been interrupted differently, but ultimately gives the police the power to detain and search where there is "reasonable suspicion" that an offence has been committed, or is likely to be committed if not stopped.

The problem was that police forces misused this power to search en masse which has led to reforms and greater control. But with arrrests increasing this only goes to show that too much time was wasted detaining and searching innocent people just because they fit extremely loose descriptions, ie. young, black, wearing trainers etc.

So targeted policing is fine, and has success. Buy only when done properly rather than lazy stereotyping.

Back
Top Bottom