Manager/Coach Des Buckingham

But we’re not talking about him being sacked we’re talking about how he’s doing and it’s only fair to have balance. I think you’ve just thrown that one in to falsely strengthen your argument. It’s a fact players have let him down at times.
Totally agree he's been let down by players, the managerial skill set is to stop it happening. You stop putting players in positions they are not comfortable in, you adapt and evolve. The definition of insanity is to continue doing something that is not working and expect it to work.
Some are actually talking about sacking him, I take that with a pinch of salt but that camp is already out there.

He’s adapting and evolving every game. He’s giving players chances playing them in different positions, letting them prove themselves.

The exact opposite of Robinson shipping out, Jodi Jones. And it seems astonishing now that Josh Murphy was not a starter or even on the bench when fit under Manning given how he’s playing these days.

Totally agree he's been let down by players, the managerial skill set is to stop it happening. You stop putting players in positions they are not comfortable in, you adapt and evolve. The definition of insanity is to continue doing something that is not working and expect it to work.
Some are actually talking about sacking him, I take that with a pinch of salt but that camp is already out there.
Yes but in the case of long and Bodin they were playing their normal position that they’ve played for years..

TW and GF must be loving all this criticism of Des that conveniently distracts attention away from their questionable competence. It's almost as if they purposely have made life difficult for him because he's protection for them and can be sacrificed and scapegoated when suitable.
Not sure that is true, I suspect the paymasters in Indonesia are already starting to ask some arkward questions.
They employed him, it was their decision they are very much under scrutiny. Not only for the appointment but the complete shambles of a management team that has evolved. Interestingly in Thohir ownership of Inter Milan in 5 years he went through 7 managers, so he does have a track record of managerial change. He had 3 in 2016 and 3 in 2017

I think if we're all being honest it's not working out as well as we'd hoped, and we are probably not feeling too confident.
However...
I had doubts under MAPP and I was wrong. I doubted Manning would keep us up but he did. I also has doubts under Pep, Robinson and numerous others and I was right. I was always confident under Wilder until he went all Northern on us.
Given that we are safe I am more concerned about Des's support set up because he hasn't bought his own people in. But, more worrying is board level, how they have or have not supported Des, and definitely how poor they are at running the club.
The ticket debacle says it all. I thought we were growing a fan base, now we've blocked that growth and I know people that have literally given up trying to get tickets.

Not sure that is true, I suspect the paymasters in Indonesia are already starting to ask some arkward questions.
They employed him, it was their decision they are very much under scrutiny. Not only for the appointment but the complete shambles of a management team that has evolved. Interestingly in Thohir ownership of Inter Milan in 5 years he went through 7 managers, so he does have a track record of managerial change. He had 3 in 2016 and 3 in 2017
82 per cent of YELLOWS FORUM members who voted back Buckingham

maybe you should talk to some other people apart from LeysBoy and Mustard Yellow

He’s adapting and evolving every game. He’s giving players chances playing them in different positions, letting them prove themselves.

The exact opposite of Robinson shipping out, Jodi Jones. And it seems astonishing now that Josh Murphy was not a starter or even on the bench when fit under Manning given how he’s playing these days.
Who is realistically comparing him with KR. What he has done well is turning Josh Murphy around ang getting Mark Harris to score goals, on the negative side Marcus McGuane has regressed from one of the best midfielders in League 1 and the teams shape has disintegrated.
I personally think he has tried to change things to quickly, evolution is always better than revolution. Manning had a system that was still working, it might have been cracking but it wasn't broke, One of the biggest mistakes new managers make is changing too quickly. In general management more managers are fired for this failure than anything else. See research conducted by FEB if you don't believe it.

Who is realistically comparing him with KR. What he has done well is turning Josh Murphy around ang getting Mark Harris to score goals, on the negative side Marcus McGuane has regressed from one of the best midfielders in League 1 and the teams shape has disintegrated.
I personally think he has tried to change things to quickly, evolution is always better than revolution. Manning had a system that was still working, it might have been cracking but it wasn't broke, One of the biggest mistakes new managers make is changing too quickly. In general management more managers are fired for this failure than anything else. See research conducted by FEB if you don't believe it.
He didn't have much choice, given the players available to him. Greg leigh was our top scorer for example.

I’d argue that McGuane has been over played, (due to our injury list, another thing you seem to dismiss as a non factor) not surprising he has now broken down with injury.

As far as changing stuff quickly I’ve seen the opposite, he’s been cautious with introducing the January players. And before that the side had picked itself most weeks because of the injury list.

He didn't have much choice, given the players available to him. Greg leigh was our top scorer for example.
That's your view, but it's not necessarily correct. We had other players who had been coached in the system. Greg Leigh only played in 11 of Mannings League 1 matches, what happened in the other games, maybe somebody else played and we won games. Manning adapted game to game, I suspect his analyst was integral to the game plan match to match.
I would accept that his failure to be given a backroom staff was a major problem but to my mind a major reason why you stayed in Manning shape because changing with no or inexperienced backroom staff meant change was more likely to be a failure.

We had other players who had been coached in the system”
Exactly, he was able to adapt because he had OTHER AVAILABLE PLAYERS

Last edited:
Fari enough- but the fact remains that judging by the poll people who are seriously concerned about Buckingham are in a minority
Take the point but how many bothered to vote I certainly didn't. So 82% of how many. I just talk to lots of fans in different places and the levels of concern are out there.
Time will tell. He is certainly not going anywhere I just hope it improves soon because it will get more toxic very quickly. We have all been in these situations before.

Take the point but how many bothered to vote I certainly didn't. So 82% of how many. I just talk to lots of fans in different places and the levels of concern are out there.
Time will tell. He is certainly not going anywhere I just hope it improves soon because it will get more toxic very quickly. We have all been in these situations before.
I’ll judge him when he’s had a period of time without injuries and more of his own players. If the form is still like this then we know the manager is the problem.

I’ll judge him when he’s had a period of time without injuries and more of his own players. If the form is still like this then we know the manager is the problem.
We will always have injuries, that is nature of the modern game. But I cannot disagree with your overall sentiments

Back
Top Bottom