Manager/Coach Des Buckingham

That’s noble of you. And you weren’t alone. There was that poll that 70% wanted him sacked. It doesn’t matter now. We are all together
I don’t think it was ever 70% wanted him sacked but anyway this forum does not really represent the fan base just the more vocal. I have said to a couple of Des out posters on here we do not ever want to go down the Watford route we have more class. Let’s just all enjoy Wembley and hopefully agree win or lose we have a manager deserving of our and the Boards full backing. COYY

I don’t think it was ever 70% wanted him sacked but anyway this forum does not really represent the fan base just the more vocal. I have said to a couple of Des out posters on here we do not ever want to go down the Watford route we have more class. Let’s just all enjoy Wembley and hopefully agree win or lose we have a manager deserving of our and the Boards full backing. COYY
Completely agree. And definitely agree on not being a hire and fire club. I think Des has come through a difficult patch much stronger and he deserves a huge amount of respect and appreciation for that.

• React
Reactions: Nox
That’s noble of you. And you weren’t alone. There was that poll that 70% wanted him sacked. It doesn’t matter now. We are all together
I’d have been happy to see the back of him after Bolton and up till then he hadn’t impressed me at all, but he still deserved a chance. It was the repetitious nature of some comments that annoyed me, I’m not claiming any foresight about him coming good. Still, in retrospect it’s good we didn’t turn to Big Sam.

I disagree. The "Des out" lot are the snowflake generation who want everything and they want it now.
They aren't willing to accept that there are ups and downs in life but instead want someone else to solve their problems at their expense, without any idea of who will pay for it (except not them).

That’s fair enough but even I - as a consistent Des fan - had a wobble after Leyton Orient at home but (if I remember) the performance against Pompey restored my faith. We don’t know what happens behind closed doors but it’s clear that the players like and respect him and that is enough for me (that and being amazing the last few months)

Happy to let bygones be bygones and delighted that we are going to Wembley with the players the coaching squad and the fans more united than we have all been in years.

Win or lose at Wembley the club is in a better place than I can remember. I can't wait to see what Des and the squad build for next year. We have the excitmenet about the new stadium and the hope that we will be leaving the terrible disappointments of the breezeblock Bernabeu

But if someone the day after the win in the semi-final wants to go back in time and continue to say "we were right to want Des out" then I will continue to post that I disagree.

There have been some painful moments over the last few months where I think other boards would've pulled the trigger, with the lowest point being that Bolton drubbing. The thing that filled me with dread then wasn't sacking Buckingham, it was knowing that if we did, Williams and Ferguson would be in charge of another recruitment. Des coming good at the right time has spared their blushes.

They spent a small fortune on getting him here and they insinuated his appointment would be good for continuity, despite him playing a very different style to Manning.

We pretty much played 2 games a week for the first few months Buckingham was here. He would've had limited time to get his ideas across and even then, he didn't have an Assistant Manager (despite some being interviewed and offered terms), so that task would only be made harder. He also didn't have a Head of Performance, nor an Analyst. Tim made that shambles of an announcement about Hackett being assistant in the second week of January. Taylor was announced as Head of Performance near the end of February. Moore was announced as the analyst about a month after that.

The latter 2 appointments coincide with the period in time where things started to click and Buckingham started getting the very best out of what he had. That could be purely a coincidence, but I'm not sure it is. Managers are paid to manage, but there is only so much you can get out of the resources you have. For as good as Manning was for us (and he did do very well) his overachievement of getting us to second in the league came off the back of him having a proper backroom staff.

I'm delighted for Buckingham. He has worked incredibly hard in a challenging situation and he's out the other side and stronger for it. I do however wonder if any lessons have been learnt by those higher up than him.

Back
Top Bottom