Manager/Coach Des Buckingham

I'm just relaying information I've been told, if you want to believe it or not that's up to each individual, it's one of the things this forum is made for. Why someone would make that up I have absolutely no idea but time will tell I suppose

I'm just relaying information I've been told, if you want to believe it or not that's up to each individual, it's one of the things this forum is made for. Why someone would make that up I have absolutely no idea but time will tell I suppose
Oh right, who told you?

Screenshot_2023-12-07-10-14-43-55_680d03679600f7af0b4c700c6b270fe7.jpg

Stop doing it to yourself.

Dont think we should be worried about Buckingham being quiet, our main concern now is the amount of injuries with the busy Christmas period coming up starting at Peterborough on Saturday

26 posts….. go troll another club.

Slightly worried with what I heard yesterday from a close friend who has very close ties with some of the players and coaching staff regarding Des, apparently the players have nicknamed him Casper as he's so quiet and has no authority, doesn't seem to add much in conversations! One of the defenders in the first team reckons he could go into his office and get the formation for a match changed, not taking training sessions, having observed Shortys originally has pretty much kept with the same thing which is a million miles away from Mannings style. I hope it's exaggerated and delayed news but not exactly what you want to hear. If this is the case I hope he manages to win them over coming into a tricky period, the proof will be in the pudding. I personally feel for him not having an assistant in place think it would be a good thing for him to have his own choice if possible.
I dont believe any of this shyte

I’m not sure I believe any of these rumours - but what I would say is that with the cup games out of the way and a slew of huge league fixtures now coming at us in quick succession that the time for the smiley, ‘yay, Oxford boy, yay grew up next to the training ground, yay my Nan went to the Manor’ stuff needs to end. Both from Des, and from the official club media channels through which he does a lot of his communicating.

It is serious business. I have no issue with his calm, measured style (and unlike some I quite liked the way he spoke on The Dub this week). But he needs to show the same ruthless streak behind the calm exterior that Manning had (and Appleton too).

I hope that in training he isn’t patting the lads on the back for three straight clean sheets as if they dominated defensively in those games (because we didn’t and could’ve conceded at least a couple in all three of them). I hope we see an improvement on the ill-discipline that is causing us issues. I hope he is asking the right questions of the medical staff as to how both Edwards & Browne have managed to breakdown as soon as they are back (appreciate these things happen, but having it happen twice, in a week, to two such key players warrants a proper internal process review). I hope he is being demanding of the recruitment team & the board and we’ll see him getting the targets HE wants in January to supplement what is starting to look a really threadbare squad.

In short, the nice, smiling Oxford lad public persona is fine. But my expectation is that behind the scenes, having had a few games to bed in, now is where we start to kick on and he exerts his influence.

I’m not sure I believe any of these rumours - but what I would say is that with the cup games out of the way and a slew of huge league fixtures now coming at us in quick succession that the time for the smiley, ‘yay, Oxford boy, yay grew up next to the training ground, yay my Nan went to the Manor’ stuff needs to end. Both from Des, and from the official club media channels through which he does a lot of his communicating.

It is serious business. I have no issue with his calm, measured style (and unlike some I quite liked the way he spoke on The Dub this week). But he needs to show the same ruthless streak behind the calm exterior that Manning had (and Appleton too).

I hope that in training he isn’t patting the lads on the back for three straight clean sheets as if they dominated defensively in those games (because we didn’t and could’ve conceded at least a couple in all three of them). I hope we see an improvement on the ill-discipline that is causing us issues. I hope he is asking the right questions of the medical staff as to how both Edwards & Browne have managed to breakdown as soon as they are back (appreciate these things happen, but having it happen twice, in a week, to two such key players warrants a proper internal process review). I hope he is being demanding of the recruitment team & the board and we’ll see him getting the targets HE wants in January to supplement what is starting to look a really threadbare squad.

In short, the nice, smiling Oxford lad public persona is fine. But my expectation is that behind the scenes, having had a few games to bed in, now is where we start to kick on and he exerts his influence.

Just a small point on that: I'd say anyone regarding Browne as a key player is being a bit daft.

I'd suggest he demonstrated something of his ruthless streak with how he dealt with Ruben by subbing him at half time then playing him in the Abomination Trophy for the full game, which suggests he could be a sub with Bodin starting at Peterborough.

Last edited:
Just a small point on that: I'd say anyone regarding Browne as a key player is being a bit daft.

Well quite, I agree. But given the current make-up of our squad he clearly is regarded as a key player. Hence why in another thread I’ve said that I think we now need another attacking midfielder/winger in the January window as well as another forward.

Well quite, I agree. But given the current make-up of our squad he clearly is regarded as a key player. Hence why in another thread I’ve said that I think we now need another attacking midfielder/winger in the January window as well as another forward.
We’ve got three left wingers, I hope we don’t sign any more!

Perhaps - but I’d quite like us to get players out on the pitch though. Bodin can be fragile and can’t necessarily be relied upon for EVERY game. Browne is a permanent risk. Edwards has missed more games than he’s played for us.

Currently our options in the attacking midfield positions behind Harris are pretty stretched…

Slightly worried with what I heard yesterday from a close friend who has very close ties with some of the players and coaching staff regarding Des, apparently the players have nicknamed him Casper as he's so quiet and has no authority, doesn't seem to add much in conversations! One of the defenders in the first team reckons he could go into his office and get the formation for a match changed, not taking training sessions, having observed Shortys originally has pretty much kept with the same thing which is a million miles away from Mannings style. I hope it's exaggerated and delayed news but not exactly what you want to hear. If this is the case I hope he manages to win them over coming into a tricky period, the proof will be in the pudding. I personally feel for him not having an assistant in place think it would be a good thing for him to have his own choice if possible.
Is your Mrs wet for Des?

Back
Top Bottom