Manager/Coach Des Buckingham

Agree. Des didn’t learn from the Pompey game either - they kept finding that gaping hole between our midfield and strikers allowing them to form build-up play and Reading replicated that today albeit not as quickly or effectively. Cam and McGuane sit too deep and we really could do with Browne right now just to add pace and a presence. We have no press and the centre midfield is a wide open area which teams can play into with ease and comfort from the back.

Des also failed to deal with their triple change which turned the final 20 minutes on its head. Suddenly they looked dangerous and it completely threw what little game plan we had going. We just persisted with whatever we were trying to do. Burey should not have been taken off either and Smyth probably should’ve come on for Rodrigues.

I guess you mean Henry as Smyth wasn't on the bench.

It's a shame we didn't sign a striker that can play across the front 3 like Des was hinting at , he could of replaced Rodrigues and left the ineffective O'Donkor on the bench.

While Goodrham didn't have a great game he was trying to make things happen so unsure why he was took off either.

I guess you mean Henry as Smyth wasn't on the bench.

It's a shame we didn't sign a striker that can play across the front 3 like Des was hinting at , he could of replaced Rodrigues and left the ineffective O'Donkor on the bench.

While Goodrham didn't have a great game he was trying to make things happen so unsure why he was took off either.
Oh I didn’t realise Smyth was out. In that case Henry would’ve been worth a go in the final 10 for Rodrigues. I think Goodrham came off because of the yellow which was unfortunate but he was still hungry as the game wore on and could’ve seen it out. Burey was having a good game - he’s not the fastest in terms of mobility but he’s quick when he gets going and he had some very positive runs. We really need Marcus Browne back just to offer more options and to fill those positions that currently lack.

For me, it feels strangely similar to the Pep Clotet era but maybe back to front or inside out.

Pep started well, then his tatics was found out by other managers and all was lost.

Des Ball started poorly, seems to have improved but still can't best a poor team.

Regardless of injuries, Reading should have been finished off. I can't believe we've only got 2 points from them this season.

Anyone know what value is delivered by bringing the new CDM on with two minutes to go actually achieves? This substitution felt desperate
When has he "improved"?

Honestly, he's been dealt a s**t hand with injuries. I really like him, I want him to do well.

But the main thing you want to see from a manager is a game plan. Even a s**t one that can be changed.

From Des, honestly there's nothing.

When has he "improved"?

Honestly, he's been dealt a s**t hand with injuries. I really like him, I want him to do well.

But the main thing you want to see from a manager is a game plan. Even a s**t one that can be changed.

From Des, honestly there's nothing.
I do agree he’s been dealt a tough hand with the injuries.

But you’d hope to see a strategy to deal with that. A rigid defensive system that, ok might not be easy on the eye but, like when Manning arrived, you’d understand the reason for the pragmatic approach and so get behind it.

At the moment, there’s absolutely nothing to understand and get behind. Just a team going through the motions and a back four lumping it long at any opportunity 🤷🏻‍♂️

Manning had the side singing from the same hymn sheet, wether that was playing out from defence, pressing the opposition or controlling the possession.

Des on the other hand it's like the players don't know what there role is. Second half you had Harris, Burey and Rodrigues pressing up top which Reading bypassed and found lots of space due to the midfield not pushing up and also pressing.

I was watching the technical areas during the second half and Readings was way more active with giving out instructions. Their manager was waving and directing players into certain areas. Des on the other hand was sat down.
Manning had a whole pre season to put his stamp on the team, he also had the end of last season to assess what was needed and then had time to put things in place to then have a good transfer window.
Comparing Des’s start to how Manning was doing at the start of this season is unfair on Des.

Tim and Grant also have not helped Des out by the ridiculous situation around appointing an assistant manager.

I doubt he wouldn’t want the role but it wouldn’t have been a bad idea, if they weren’t going to get Des an assistant in, to put Faz in that role short term to add some experience.

It's perfectly possible to harbour reasonable doubts about Des, but also recognise that it's far too soon to judge him properly. Many here (myself included) harboured reasonable doubts over Appleton a lot further into his reign than this.

The thing is, Des doesn’t seem to be stamping his authority with the team/squad or showing any direction in terms of his style of play.

In some ways it seems like some players don’t really respect him or they’re not really inspired by him as a leader. It’s as though their saying ‘who does this new kid on block think his is’. May be this is where he needs his own management support system around him or may be it it’s a case of the right job, but at the wrong time!

I also think, not addressing the forward issue in terms of getting an experienced proven striker in may turn out to be an own goal. Let’s just hope that Goodwin proves to be that player because the whole place needs a lift.

I definitely have my doubts about the gaffer, but I’ve never wanted someone to prove me wrong so much in my life.
A decent non league coach should be able to drill in to the players about when to fall in and when to commit numbers. Several times yesterday mark harris gave the impetus and we failed to get out quick enough, leaving us exposed.
I’m seeing basic tactical issues with my limited football knowledge that desperately need addressing. We were utterly woeful in the 2nd half and only a bit better in the first.
In regards to intensity and urgency, we are either exhausted or not on board with our Des I’m afraid.

I feel the analyst situation is not helping either. Planning how to approach each opposition team is vital. Are we doing that effectively?

Manning had a whole pre season to put his stamp on the team, he also had the end of last season to assess what was needed and then had time to put things in place to then have a good transfer window.
Comparing Des’s start to how Manning was doing at the start of this season is unfair on Des.

Tim and Grant also have not helped Des out by the ridiculous situation around appointing an assistant manager.

I doubt he wouldn’t want the role but it wouldn’t have been a bad idea, if they weren’t going to get Des an assistant in, to put Faz in that role short term to add some experience.

Surely that lies with Des in getting an assistant to come work with him. If it was down to dumb and dumber he would end up with Timmy Mallet as assistant.

When recruiting they were well aware that Chris Hogg and the analyst had left too. They should of went for someone who had contacts over here to call upon.

For me, the situation is simple. We are still in a good position to make the play offs but, either way, Des has the rest of the season to show what he is about. Get the team playing a style of play that we can enjoy. A definite style that we can all see being implemented with a clear identity.

But if we continue to be, what appears from the outside, limp, shapeless, lacklustre, with a coach lacking any sign of being a dynamic leader who can give the players a clear direction, then I will struggle to get behind him next season

Surely that lies with Des in getting an assistant to come work with him. If it was down to dumb and dumber he would end up with Timmy Mallet as assistant.

When recruiting they were well aware that Chris Hogg and the analyst had left too. They should of went for someone who had contacts over here to call upon.
No, it shouldn't.

Coaching staff, medical staff, analysts, scouts etc. should all come under a DoFs responsibilities. The Chuckle brothers seem to think one of those is not needed, opting instead for a director of sales and a Chief condescending supporters customers officer. Teams like Inter Milan and Man Utd would further split a DoFs role to a DoF and a Sporting Director.

I support Des, but understand people having concerns. When s**t like this comes out, it feels so much like 'told you so' and having a go for the sake of it. It's pathetic.

No, it shouldn't.

Coaching staff, medical staff, analysts, scouts etc. should all come under a DoFs responsibilities. The Chuckle brothers seem to think one of those is not needed, opting instead for a director of sales and a Chief condescending supporters customers officer. Teams like Inter Milan and Man Utd would further split a DoFs role to a DoF and a Sporting Director.

I support Des, but understand people having concerns. When s**t like this comes out, it feels so much like 'told you so' and having a go for the sake of it. It's pathetic.

Manning wouldn't come here unless he brought Hogg with him. Most managers want their own backroom staff that they have worked with for years and can trust.

Buckingham on the other hand came in with no assistant in place for weeks and kept saying we are interviewing for one and then a few days later we have offered the role to someone and he should be confirmed in 24 hours. Then up steps Tim nice but dim who announces a week later that Hackett is the new number 2.

You have to ask the question why did no one (not currently employed by the club) want the role.

Is Hackett even the number 2? I've not seen him giving out instructions on the touchline.

Manning wouldn't come here unless he brought Hogg with him. Most managers want their own backroom staff that they have worked with for years and can trust.

Buckingham on the other hand came in with no assistant in place for weeks and kept saying we are interviewing for one and then a few days later we have offered the role to someone and he should be confirmed in 24 hours. Then up steps Tim nice but dim who announces a week later that Hackett is the new number 2.

You have to ask the question why did no one (not currently employed by the club) want the role.

Is Hackett even the number 2? I've not seen him giving out instructions on the touchline.
i fully agree, every other team has an assistant coming out of the dug out to point things out, or pass something onto the team. Nobody gets their a**e off our bench to do that.

The assistant manager situation is farcical. The importance of this is dictated by the manager you choose. If we’d appointed a Gary Rowett-type and said hypothetically his normal number 2 couldn’t join him, you can understand them taking some time to go through other alternatives and trust in Rowett to hold things together in the mean time - he’s experienced enough.

But when you appoint someone essentially coming out of football’s best university, you MUST accept responsibility for putting someone next to him who can plug the inevitable knowledge gaps. With that will be some cost and anybody worth having will need persuading. This should all have been factored in as a subsequent condition of hiring Buckingham.

The fact we haven’t is just more to the pile of mounting evidence that various parts of the club are being completely neglected at the hands of a CEO that’s out of his depth.

Is the answer you're looking for Des?

Most managers want their own backroom staff that they have worked with for years and can trust.
Which Number 2 did Appleton, Clotet and Robinson bring in? Or does the last manger mean most to you?
Lots of people here were saying when Manning left that we shouldn't allow a new manager to bring his own team in, as they all needed replacing when Manning left.
This lies on the Chuckle Brothers. Not Des.
So is it Tim or Des who is responsible for hiring a new assistant? (Hint: It's not Des, or at least, at any other FL club, it wouldn't be Des)

Is the answer you're looking for Des?

Which Number 2 did Appleton, Clotet and Robinson bring in? Or does the last manger mean most to you?
Lots of people here were saying when Manning left that we shouldn't allow a new manager to bring his own team in, as they all needed replacing when Manning left.
This lies on the Chuckle Brothers. Not Des.

So is it Tim or Des who is responsible for hiring a new assistant? (Hint: It's not Des, or at least, at any other FL club, it wouldn't be Des)

You are forgetting when Manning came in Mous wasn't part of the coaching set up anymore and neither was @UTO, then we also lost the analysis to Pompey and the recruitment bloke to Derby.

Manning replaced all these but in turn when he left he took most with him bar Edd Waldron.

When Appleton , Clotet and Robinson turned up we had a fully functioning backroom staff. We didn't this time round!

When Appleton , Clotet and Robinson turned up we had a fully functioning backroom staff. We didn't this time round!
And that's the fault of Des?

Even more reason for Tim and Grant to pull their finger out, or hire a DoF to do it for them.

The assistant manager situation is farcical. The importance of this is dictated by the manager you choose. If we’d appointed a Gary Rowett-type and said hypothetically his normal number 2 couldn’t join him, you can understand them taking some time to go through other alternatives and trust in Rowett to hold things together in the mean time - he’s experienced enough.

But when you appoint someone essentially coming out of football’s best university, you MUST accept responsibility for putting someone next to him who can plug the inevitable knowledge gaps. With that will be some cost and anybody worth having will need persuading. This should all have been factored in as a subsequent condition of hiring Buckingham.

The fact we haven’t is just more to the pile of mounting evidence that various parts of the club are being completely neglected at the hands of a CEO that’s out of his depth.
They said they’re not addressing the assistant manager/coach situation until the summer/end of season.

On the flipside, Des came in with a ready-made team in second place and 3pts off the top with a game in hand. Not many managers are appointed under such luxuries. Although injuries have been a problem ever since, the defeat against Cheltenham was a taster of things to come little did we know. I fully expected us to kick on upon his appointment but irrespective of the injuries, we have regressed in terms of tactics and approach. Yesterday was also a huge opportunity to get back to winning ways and build confidence but we created very little, looked incredibly flat and were then largely outplayed in the last 20 minutes in which we became desperate. The fact we didn't attempt to combat Reading's triple change before or after the goal was absolutely alarming to me and in the end we were fortunate to walk away with a point.

Back
Top Bottom