Manager/Coach Des Buckingham

So you assume the owners and the board actually want promotion before we know the result of the stadium situation, I'm afraid I don't.
I think you’re wrong in this, Danny. The £6m per season they’re ploughing in to keep us afloat and a budget far in excess of our natural revenues suggests to me that they’re determined to get promoted as soon as they can. If anything, Championship level football would only enhance the case for the new stadium.

If they were content at L1, they really could save themselves bundles of cash to maintain the status quo.

even the most positive OUFC supporters may well be struggling to put a positive spin after last nights (lack of ) display

certainly at present things both on and off the pitch throw up a profusion of questions

The first team and recent results
Weve slid down the table from 2nd place to 8th place
More or less with the same players- with a few changes in January
Weve had a different coaching team , since December/ January- albeit not DBs first or second choice of assistant coaches?

It could be argued that we were overachieving under LM and his coaching team,( we probably were IMO)- where Manning differs from DB is having, and taking with him a hand picked coaching team.. The loanee first choice keeper bought in by Manning was recalled by his parent club, Stan Mills suffered a horrific injury. Weve had an 'unfortunate numbers of injuries too. Yet all bar Browne and Edwards are now available ( Goodrham recovering from a knock). Weve bought in Goodwin, Dale, Matete, Burey, - only Dale seems to be a regular starter. As many wanted GO'D has gone out on loan - and scored 3 (or 4) goals (so far) The squad is give or take more or less the same yet performances of late haven't been as good as earlier in the season. What is the reason for this?

Do we need a DoF ?
If the answer is yes , Who?

Would it really be a good move to sack the head coach after 3 months or so, lets not forget its more or less the same squad of players with a few additions who are not delivering- last night being a new and very real low?

We have very wealthy owners, but I doubt if they, or their representatives TW & GF, are likely to sack THEIR choice of Head coach after such a short time?

Behind the scene/ staff side of the Club

Theres been an exodus of personnel who have been at OUFC for some time, is there a reason for this?

Communication between club and Supporters

Despite the recent FF , OxVox and OUSP , going by the minutes of meetings have been coming up against a brickwall raising issues on behalf of supporters, why is this?

New Stadium

We have Planning permission at the consultation stage after being validated by CDC
( have YOU sent in a comment of support to to the consultation yet ?) - it is crucial for the continuation of OUFC that planning permission for the stadium on the triangle goes ahead. so far unlike previous county council consultations, there has as yet been no guidance form OxVox regarding the current , crucial, consultation. I know OxVox are volunteers and co ran the FF last week, nonetheless, why no guidance issued so far?

to me it seems there are more questions than answers

Things really arent good OUFC wise currently

Things need to change in all areas and sharpish too

nonetheless I shall continue to support my team

Last edited:
Once the players down tools, and you lose large chunks of the fanbase. It only ends with one outcome.

It’s an ideal time to pull the trigger in my opinion. We know we are safe, and we have time to do a proper process, and let’s say 4 games before the end of the season. It would give the new manager a chance to see who he wants to keep, and has the whole summer to bring in players, that he feels we need to build a balanced squad.

I’d happily take Short until the change is made. Mike Duff is very appealing.

but you could make a case for saying his treatment of Pekalski back in 2018 told the dressing room that there was a nasty side to the manager and they shouldn't take the pi$$.
Certainly did tell us there was a nasty side to him. Shame most people missed it when he told us.

His treatment of Pekalski was shameful.

I am a true forumite in the sense that I always look to blame Tim Williams if I can, but I’ve seen (and agreed with) a couple of posts saying that not a lot of this collapse can actually be blamed on the board:
- the LM contract situation was to avoid the club being tied into a long term deal if we went down
- ⁠Bringing in Des seemed a good idea based on the continuity factor and his consistent success elsewhere
- ⁠His preferred choice of assistant seemed to be practically here before he personally decided he didn’t want to, no fault of the board.
This is absolutely not true, unless you think not accepting a large paycut (well over a grand a month) to do the same job in the same division is a "personal reason". We spent a load of money getting Des out of India and then tightened the purse strings instead of backing him, meaning he had to come in in the midst of an injury crisis and games every 4 days or so and try and stamp his mark on it by himself with no backup. The board are to blame entirely for not getting him the support he needed, even replacing Routledge took over a month longer than it should have.

It is also possible to have a hard job and do it badly, which is the situation we are in now. Getting him some help now seems futile as I can't see how he can win back the respect and trust of the players. Des needs to take a hell of a lot of the blame and he's done nothing to suggest he was the right man but he was put into a situation a lot tougher than it looked originally and left to sink, it was completely negligent from the board.

This is absolutely not true, unless you think not accepting a large paycut (well over a grand a month) to do the same job in the same division is a "personal reason". We spent a load of money getting Des out of India and then tightened the purse strings instead of backing him, meaning he had to come in in the midst of an injury crisis and games every 4 days or so and try and stamp his mark on it by himself with no backup. The board are to blame entirely for not getting him the support he needed, even replacing Routledge took over a month longer than it should have.

It is also possible to have a hard job and do it badly, which is the situation we are in now. Getting him some help now seems futile as I can't see how he can win back the respect and trust of the players. Des needs to take a hell of a lot of the blame and he's done nothing to suggest he was the right man but he was put into a situation a lot tougher than it looked originally and left to sink, it was completely negligent from the board.
Good managers have game plans ,structure wr don't seem to have that. I just played golf this morning with a good friend who played for Arsenal and Spurs and we always chat about football he always gets onto the football pundits and what rubbish they talk. I got onto managers ,he always believed the same alot of rubbish spoken. A good manager will get a team playing with a plan.

Good managers have game plans ,structure wr don't seem to have that. I just played golf this morning with a good friend who played for Arsenal and Spurs and we always chat about football he always gets onto the football pundits and what rubbish they talk. I got onto managers ,he always believed the same alot of rubbish spoken. A good manager will get a team playing with a plan.

Definitely. Far too much is made of support staff etc. There's countless managers who have gone in to clubs on a shoestring budget and with shoestring support staff and made a right go of it based purely on a plan, some tactical nous and an ability to motivate and get the best from under performing players. Des went in to a buoyant group sitting second, they weren't under performing. Short , Price, Hackett and a whole load of familiar old faces were there to greet him - including a player or two. You're right, it isn't too simplistic to expect a manager with a plan to be able to do considerably better than Des has.

Good managers very often also have a good team around them. It's too big a job to do on your own.

There is nothing that says Buckingham is good enough, but there is a lot that says he has been hung out to dry by senior management who don't know what they're doing.

Crossroads moment for our CEO. I think the best thing he could do is accept that football matters are not his strong suit and invest in a proper football structure at the club. But I sense his ego is too big for that. He also won't want to sack Des and it'll shine a light on his own suitability for his role. He didn't want to back him properly when he should've so I doubt he'll do that now. I think he'll just hide and hope it all works out.

Absolutely and I'm careful not to embellish Des' performance which has been lacking but it is also naive to suggest that we wouldn't have been any better if he were provided with a modicum of support. Manning said having Hogg was a non-negotiable, do you think this is because having Hogg there helps Manning do his job more efficiently or just because they're mates and he likes having him around?

We absolutely should be more organised and have more of a plan going forwards but to say it's all on the manager is letting the board off the hook. It also doesn't fill me with confidence that when it comes to replace Buckingham they get it right and provide that manager with the required support.

Good managers very often also have a good team around them. It's too big a job to do on your own.

There is nothing that says Buckingham is good enough, but there is a lot that says he has been hung out to dry by senior management who don't know what they're doing.

Crossroads moment for our CEO. I think the best thing he could do is accept that football matters are not his strong suit and invest in a proper football structure at the club. But I sense his ego is too big for that. He also won't want to sack Des and it'll shine a light on his suitability for the role. He didn't want to back him properly when he should've so I doubt he'll do that now. I think he'll just hide and hope it all works out.

Anyone would think we're in all the cups and got a few two-leggers to come in the CL. How the hell did these managers cope 40 or 50 years ago with a squad of 15, a sidekick and a sponge man ?

Anyone would think we're in all the cups and got a few two-leggers to come in the CL. How the hell did these managers cope 40 or 50 years ago with a squad of 15, a sidekick and a sponge man ?
Dunno Baldy. Maybe because, 50 years ago, everyone else had a squad of 15, a sidekick and a sponge man?

Why did Manning insist Hogg came with him here? Why did he take him to Bristol City with him? I don't think it was for the bantz.

Neil Warnock until the end of the season.
I’ve mentioned the name a few times but if Rowett fancied a short spell here to lift the cloud off the club, I’d throw the kitchen sink at him. Not the worst long term appointment either.

Whoever is in charge is going to want a decent turnover of players so whether we’ve got the right players for his style shouldn’t be decisive.

We just need a manager who will get hold of that dressing room and start pulling it forward again without crossing the line in to a total dickhead. He’d be very high on my want list if he’d consider the drop.

Either way, it’s not the environment for Des. Not an attack, we all wanted it to work but it’s becoming embarrassing and actually the longer he stays I think the more damage it does his career. Board need to save him from himself and us from any more of this decline.

Well if your right we could see a change of manager but I don't think we will. The six mill is showing commitment to OCC and the politicos, but it doesn't necessarily mean you can want promotion at this time. Well know in the summer I think.

What you doing playing with one of the greatest minds in football Sol Campbell. 😂

I’ve mentioned the name a few times but if Rowett fancied a short spell here to lift the cloud off the club, I’d throw the kitchen sink at him. Not the worst long term appointment either.

Whoever is in charge is going to want a decent turnover of players so whether we’ve got the right players for his style shouldn’t be decisive.

We just need a manager who will get hold of that dressing room and start pulling it forward again without crossing the line in to a total dickhead. He’d be very high on my want list if he’d consider the drop.

Either way, it’s not the environment for Des. Not an attack, we all wanted it to work but it’s becoming embarrassing and actually the longer he stays I think the more damage it does his career. Board need to save him from himself and us from any more of this decline.
Thats Gonna bloody hurt and what good will that do with him in hospital……ok I will get my coat

My doubts about Des being the right appointment started to materialise very early on. The body language at games and the lack of any meaningful communication between him and the players showed an alarming lack of assertiveness. I know everyone is different but there wasn’t any sense of authority and there have been times when Craig Short has almost muscled passed him to get a point across to the players during breaks in play with Des taking a step back to just listen. The players also seem to look to Short for direction at times.

But the real breaking point for me was the Bristol Rovers game. Last night just compounded it.

It certainly doesn’t give me any pleasure to want a change. As a man Des comes across very well. He seems a very likeable person. But this is just getting horrendous now. It’s not working and the people making the decisions need to show the cajounes to hold their hands up and admit it and make the right decisions for the sake of everyone.

I’ll probably receive pelters for this but if we just carry on as we are and limp to the end of the season, I don’t think I’ll be renewing my season ticket for next season. I look forward to root canal treatment at the dentist more than going to matches at the moment. Even paying the 12 quid to watch on tv last night has pissed me off.

I would play Burey, Matete, & Negru & from the start on Saturday. Id have Woltman on the bench. I’d play Harris & Dale behind Burey as both put the work in. I’d have Matete replacing MM and if TG is fit play him and bench CB.
You are joking Matete is terrible. Or really doesn’t want to be here.
Burey has been frozen out for reasons other than football because he was playing okay until he went bye bye
Negru I’d agree with but he has been off his game under DesB too.

One could argue that Des is finally getting lucky with injuries.... if Bolton had been at full strength, we may have witnessed something truly horrific that would live in the minds and pages of record books forever.

Fair play Des, at least your luck has improved. 👍

Back
Top Bottom