Manager/Coach Des Buckingham

If we’re still level after that game, 6 points from Cheltenham away and Portsmouth home is no certainty. I’d rather have Stevenage and Exeter, especially if Pompey haven’t won the league by then.

It’s a must not lose. If we draw that and win the other games, we’ll make the playoffs.

Is Cheltenham any easier away than Exeter though? And for their Portsmouth, see our Peterborough. Nothing in it in terms of easiness in my opinion. Add in their form and our mixed form then I'm not seeing how we are favourites. Everything points to them on form and run in but as we know it doesn't work like that. The absolutely certainty in all of this is that we cannot lose to them, that will be the six pointer of all six pointers. It's not a miracle we require, it's just that we are battling the most in form team in the country. Here's hoping!

Is Cheltenham any easier away than Exeter though? And for their Portsmouth, see our Peterborough. Nothing in it in terms of easiness in my opinion. Add in their form and our mixed form then I'm not seeing how we are favourites. Everything points to them on form and run in but as we know it doesn't work like that. The absolutely certainty in all of this is that we cannot lose to them, that will be the six pointer of all six pointers. It's not a miracle we require, it's just that we are battling the most in form team in the country. Here's hoping!
We can’t lose to them, it’ll give us too much to do. Like you say there’s no big difference in run-ins. Worth pointing out though that while they’re 15 games unbeaten Lincoln and obviously in amazing form, they’ve actually only beaten two top-half sides in that run. Had a lovely run of fixtures. They’re favourites but not by miles.

If we do draw against them, the idea they could drop points in two of the other four games isn’t at all wild.

We can’t lose to them, it’ll give us too much to do. Like you say there’s no big difference in run-ins. Worth pointing out though that while they’re 15 games unbeaten Lincoln and obviously in amazing form, they’ve actually only beaten two top-half sides in that run. Had a lovely run of fixtures. They’re favourites but not by miles.

If we do draw against them, the idea they could drop points in two of the other four games isn’t at all wild.
True.

I think we will probably both drop unexpected points, in fact I have a feeling we could both draw this weekend. The game against them is the one though, there's no getting away from that.

Reading is a big test for them on Saturday.
We simply have to beat Burton and then hope that our plastic neighbours help us our

I'm going with the hope that they've peaked too soon

• React
Reactions: m
A sad reflection on the capitalist society right there. Nothing matters more than making more and more money .
Pride , friendship, being loyal all throwaway things as long as you are making money for yourself.
I get your point to a certain extent but being a football manager (or player) is a risky job compared to the majority of jobs in society. As a manager you are 6 or 7 defeats away from being sacked or a broken leg away from your career being over. I never blame them for taking the opportunity, esp at this level. Let’s say manning was on 125k so now he’s on 375k No one in their right mind turns down an offer of getting triple their wages.
So 2.5k a week to 7k!

Last edited:
They’re no different to players. they’re a bad season away from having to drop down a level or two - but players at least have the right to be defiant, stay out their contract, force a move or go on loan to ensure their family doesn’t lose.

As a working man/woman there aren’t many people in life who can say their money was ‘this’ one day and a week later it’s several multiples of that just for taking a leap - and it is a leap for Manning but he was never going to duck that challenge with so much in his favour. You have to credit him for attracting their attention just 12 months after being fired by MK Dons and shelved for months - an experience that I’m sure played an enormous part in his decision while he could only think 12 months ahead on his deal with us.

It’s not ALL money, but to expect anyone to turn that down is a double standard because not one of us here would do it differently if you take our life-long loyalties to OUFC out of it.
Agree, just posted similar

I get your point to a certain extent but being a football manager (or player) is a risky job compared to the majority of jobs in society. As a manager you are 6 or 7 defeats away from being sacked or a broken leg away from your career being over. I never blame them for taking the opportunity, esp at this level. Let’s say manning was on 125k so now he’s on 375k No one in their right mind turns down an offer of getting triple their wages.
So 2.5k a week to 7k!
Manning was in one of the safest jobs where although at the time on a 12 mth rolling contract would have had basically killed someone to have lost his job here and could have achieved success , actually doing something tangible while building his backroom staff and team to have something to look back on.
Then he could have had his pick of earning more money because that's all that matters right ?
And a player only a broken leg away from signing for us I think you will find .

All I'm suggesting, and others at the time were, was that we should have got rid of Robinson much earlier (I'd have done it as soon as the previous season finished but bar a small handful on here most could see the writing was on the wall by October) and given it to Mous temporarily to start. He gets to take charge and we have first hand experience of how he'd cope at our club with players he already knows and have performed for him before when he had stepped in. If it hadn't worked then we would have been in no worse situation. It was a complete cock up.
I agree, terrible management to let KR hang on so long and let Mous leave without even having temporary charge.

Too much time on my hands. Here is the league table since Des Buckingham took over. As everyone knows a mid table performance. Impressed with Reading's form lets hope they can beat Lincoln on Saturday. Lincoln replaced their manger on the 13th November 3 days before Des was appointed

eng_leagueone.gif

2023/24 League One Date Range: 16-NOV-2023 to 3-APR-2024​

Pos
Team​
PWDLGFGAWDLGFGAGDPts
1Derby County2592223138131972254
2Portsmouth2471220148421971850
3Barnsley2464317187402515947
4Lincoln City2565222763318102344
5Peterborough United23624271772219151443
6Bolton Wanderers24721301145515161840
7Reading2582326133541721940
8Northampton Town2673317124361928-439
9Leyton Orient2553513156241611338
10Blackpool2464121650812141337
11Stevenage245431284441615535
12Exeter City2546310115161421-834
13Wigan Athletic247331582361422-133
14Oxford United2554323153461322-132
15Wycombe Wanderers245442118245810129
16Cheltenham Town225241715335912-129
17Bristol Rovers2443513164171323-1328
18Shrewsbury Town2432710184351016-1426
19Charlton Athletic2525413152841821-525
20Cambridge United2342511133271323-1225
21Port Vale243371821227718-1420
22Burton Albion24318816246918-1720
23Fleetwood Town2524713191561123-1818
24Carlisle United2413813282191325-2713
The -1 goal difference under Des is pretty depressing.

One thing I am not keen on with Des is in his interviews it's like he's swallowed a "how to be a football manager" manual. So much waffle and lack of personality. I find it so hard to imagine he inspires the players.

There's nothing wrong with being a bit of a a boring bloke of course, and you don't want to be too "interesting" like KR, but DB doesn't inspire the fans and, I'd wager, most of the squad.

This wont sit well with some on here , nonetheless Des Buckingham has been named L1 manager of the week, apparently
Manager of the month, I understand - since you'll have played 4 or more different teams, home and away.

Manager of the week is a bit daft. You may as well have a First Half Manager of the Week, a Second Half Manager of the Week, a Substitutions Manager of the Week and a Prearranged Drinks Break Injury Feigning Manager of the Week. ;)

Manager of the month, I understand - since you'll have played 4 or more different teams, home and away.

Manager of the week is a bit daft. You may as well have a First Half Manager of the Week, a Second Half Manager of the Week, a Substitutions Manager of the Week and a Prearranged Drinks Break Injury Feigning Manager of the Week. ;)
Steve Evans and Gaz Ainsworth would end up the most decorated managers of all time

Manning was in one of the safest jobs where although at the time on a 12 mth rolling contract would have had basically killed someone to have lost his job here and could have achieved success , actually doing something tangible while building his backroom staff and team to have something to look back on.
Then he could have had his pick of earning more money because that's all that matters right ?
And a player only a broken leg away from signing for us I think you will find .
I don’t like the fact that money is what it’s all about but it’s the society we live in, like it or not!

I didn’t think Des had a style of play and players don’t want to play for him?

4 wins out of 6, undefeated in 5 games.

Seems like a long time since we had an exciting end to the season!

Back
Top Bottom